Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Carl Lawson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Carl Lawson

Jan 29, 2013, 11:17 PM

Article about his final three. Of course since it's from ESecPN they only mention Clemson in a couple of sentences. It's getting really annoying at this point!

ALPHARETTA, GA -- No. 2 prospect Carl Lawson (Alpharetta, Ga./Milton) has been committed to Auburn since March 24, 2011. There is a good chance he will remain part of the Tigers’ future when it comes time to send in his letter of intent next Wednesday on signing day.

But changes to the coaching staff at Auburn opened the door for two other programs to get the five-star defensive lineman on campus for official visits earlier this month, and they should be considered contenders to land the 6-foot-3, 252-pound prospect.

Dabo Swinney was able to get Lawson to Clemson late in December for an unofficial, and again Jan. 11 for his first official visit.

“Clemson is a nice place with a family feeling,” Lawson said. “I like Coach Swinney, I like the family environment and it is a winning program.”

Two weeks ago, Lawson traveled to Knoxville, Tenn., to check out Tennessee. The lineage of standouts to play at Neyland Stadium stood out to the elite pass-rusher, as did the athletic buildings.

“I just like all of the great players that have come out of Tennessee that I admire,” Lawson said. “People always say everywhere has great facilities, but man Tennessee has some special facilities. They have a good history, a crazy fanbase and a huge college town like Knoxville.”

A self-professed huge fan of Peyton Manning growing up, Lawson was excited to tour the same campus where the All-Pro quarterback once attended college. But it was another experience, immediately following seeing Manning on video, that seemingly held Lawson captive during his Tennessee official.

“It was awesome to be able to visit a place where your idol went,” Lawson said. “The best part about the visit was being able to watch so much film. I watched some of Peyton Manning, and I do not know much about quarterbacks, but then they told me they had all of the film throughout the years, and I went nuts. I ended up staying longer than I was supposed to. They had all of the best defensive linemen, and the best 3-4 pass rushers throughout all of the years on over 10 monitors, and I would watch pass rush film on Jason Babin, Trent Cole, Demarcus Ware, and I was already ecstatic. It was crazy just watching Dwight Freeney, Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White, Derrick Thomas broken down on film with all of their moves dissected. My favorite movie of all time has to be Dark Knight, and this was like that times two.”

Tennessee defensive line coach Steve Stripling is hoping to have an opportunity to mold Lawson, whose senior campaign included 78 tackles, 44 tackles for loss and 27 sacks, into a player worthy of being on those monitors in the future.

“I know the Coach Stripling is a really, really, really good coach,” Lawson said. “He has proven that over time, so I know I could learn a lot from him.”

Clemson and Tennessee are expected to make their final pitch to Lawson with in-home visits later this week. But after that, Lawson will return to the campus he has originally committed to play at over 10 months ago. This weekend could prove to be the one where Auburn secures its top target of the 2013 recruiting cycle.

“This weekend is just a chance to see Auburn again, have some fun, chill and meet the entire coaching staff,” Lawson said. “We are pretty cool right now and we are building a good relationship. I still had more of a trust with the old staff because I knew more about what the old staff was doing, so I am trying to see what the direction of this group. I do like Gus Malzahn’s offense and he has seen the SEC and scores a lot of points so his resume speaks for itself.”

Defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson is hoping to recreate with Lawson some of the success he had with the last five-star defensive end he worked with.

“What they are trying to sell to me is how they used Jadeveon Clowney, but he has such an incredible get off,” Lawson said. “But it is a freshman-friendly defense that just asks you to go get the ball. I like how I would be used in that scheme.”

As for how the next week will go, Lawson sounded confident and relaxed.

“I am just taking this one step at a time,” Lawson said.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

step wise process

Jan 29, 2013, 11:24 PM

We trail for CL but not all hope is lost.
Not easy but certainly possible:

1. Dabo gotta knock out the in home, esp w/ the dad who didn't visit clemson

2. Dabo gotta get Mt Adams on board (as a silent commit) and have him work on Carl as a package deal

3. Sell our depth (or lack of depth) chart at DE. Shaq and Carl will probably START as sophomores.

Dabo can hopefully get er done

Re: Carl Lawson

Jan 29, 2013, 11:29 PM

Tennessee is definitely in the lead, but according to some, Auburn is making a push to hold onto the prized recruit. I hate to say it, but at this time it appears to be a UT v Auburn signing day battle. Our best chance is Dabo's in home visit and Montravious Adams convincing him to come play at Clemson with him ;)

Jan 29, 2013, 11:49 PM

My sources in Alabama tell me Auburn is a lock to keep Lawson..that you can take to the bank, it is a guarantee

Jan 30, 2013, 12:28 AM

I bet he is!! The good ole blank check always seems to lock em up!!

Lowder chowder.***

Jan 30, 2013, 12:29 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 30, 2013, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Carl Lawson ]

His sources are "The Dude" and he lives in West Virginia, not Alabama.

Thanks for posting

Jan 30, 2013, 1:15 AM

They'll be eating their words next week

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well if he wants to be part of a winning program then

Jan 30, 2013, 5:08 AM

Tenn and AU is out of the picture right?

Maybe TN somehow convinced him it is 1998***

Jan 30, 2013, 9:53 AM

Jan 30, 2013, 7:43 AM

...ain't coming to Clemson.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow - after reading this I doubt we get CL...CRAP!***

Jan 30, 2013, 9:37 AM

hope he dont go to Tn. because of facilities. think there fixing to get repo'ed***

Jan 30, 2013, 3:18 PM

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic