Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So after the renovations to Littlejohn
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 3,231

So after the renovations to Littlejohn

Jan 13, 2015, 10:27 PM

are completed the seating capacity will be reduced from 10,000 to 8500. Is that suppose to be better for some reason?
I saw where UVA built a new arena in 2006 and increased their capacity from about 8K to nearly 15K.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They can fill it, we can't. ...

Jan 13, 2015, 10:47 PM

Maybe less will give the appearance that it's sold out and packed.

Re: They can fill it, we can't. ...

Jan 14, 2015, 10:21 PM

We filled up 10,000 seats with OP. 8,500 is too small for when we are good.

Re: So after the renovations to Littlejohn

Jan 13, 2015, 10:50 PM

i agree , i dont get it , how is that supposed to help recruiting .? if you going to go into all this debt ,then put some seats in the place....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. They went from considering

Jan 13, 2015, 10:56 PM

a new arena to reducing the capacity in Littlejohn instead so why bother. Even the coots have a capacity of 18,000.

Any they overbuilt. They will tell you that.***

Jan 14, 2015, 6:15 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree. They went from considering

Jan 14, 2015, 7:27 AM [ in reply to I agree. They went from considering ]

Are you really using the Gamecock White Whale as what we should do?

They way way way over built.

Clemson can not fill 15k or even 12k on a regular basis.

8,500 is something that we can fill a good bit. It makes for a louder more livelier atmosphere than an 18k white whale that is empty 99% of the time.

IMO it should have stayed closer to 10k but I have zero problems with it being reduced some.

So glad some of your morons are no where near being in charge.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Capacity of 18,000..yeah those 10,000 empty seats every game

Jan 14, 2015, 11:06 AM [ in reply to I agree. They went from considering ]

Recruits love 'em!

Jan 13, 2015, 11:37 PM [ in reply to Re: So after the renovations to Littlejohn ]

Recruiting will hopefully be helped by the new practice facility, weight rooms, players' lounge, meeting rooms, locker rooms, etc. These facilities are what the team uses everyday and IMO have a bigger impact on recruiting than the arena.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Jan 13, 2015, 10:52 PM

May as well play at Daniel High, if they just want to sell every seat. TCU is playing at the local school district gym that seats 4500 this year while their arena gets renovated, and they can't even sell that out. Sounds familiar.

Jan 14, 2015, 1:37 AM

They are taking out the 15000 seats to add ""Luxury Box Seats"" ___ Money talks & BS walks !!!!!!!___________really need to :buy: some good players ?????? GO TIGERS !!!!!!!!!!

Jan 14, 2015, 5:55 AM

I don't understand either. I get supply vs demand but by building a smaller arena it's like we are saying"why build anything larger, we'll never have the team to fill it." That seems very short sighted in my opinion.

Jan 14, 2015, 1:45 PM

Yup, LittleJohn is an awesome arena. If we're building all of the other things ANYWAY, I think we should leave LJ alone other than to "pimp out" the locker rooms...now I'm $0.02 poorer :-/ lol

GO TIGERS!

And it was close to full last night***

Jan 14, 2015, 6:14 AM

Dictated by TV

Jan 14, 2015, 6:19 AM

With every game on TV, the need for 20,000/15,000/10,000 seats will continue to decline in the future. The idea is build an arena that will dramatically improve the fan experience.

Re: Dictated by TV

Jan 14, 2015, 7:29 AM

cobb please do not beat your head on the wall. it will just bleed. the idiots on this board think coach is great when we beat a good team then he sucks when we lose to a team the next game.

Agree, it shows we are losers.

Jan 14, 2015, 6:46 AM

Going smaller shows we believe we will never better and grow our program.

It's a losers mentality.

Re: Agree, it shows we are losers.

Jan 14, 2015, 7:28 AM

Yea you are right no way a program can be successful with a sub 10k arena....

I mean just look at places like Duke.

null

Jan 14, 2015, 8:04 AM [ in reply to Agree, it shows we are losers. ]

You guys do understand that expansions are typically builtin to designs right? So if we somehow get big in basketball we simply add on.

Lots of dumb in this thread. LJ capacity has to be decreased. A lot of the examples being given in regards to these giant arenas NEVER come close to being full. Scar averaged like 3500 fans for a span of time and it was embarrassing for them in an 18k arena THAT was built more for concerts than basketball

Jan 14, 2015, 8:06 AM

and the uva arena was not even full last night for a number 2 team.

Jan 14, 2015, 7:33 AM

As long as CBB is here 8500 is a plenty

Capacity was reduced for Death Valley to make way for the WEZ project

Jan 14, 2015, 8:17 AM

Just a FYI

I agree. I think a reduction in capacity is a mistake.

Jan 14, 2015, 9:22 AM

The logic is perplexing. We can't fill 10,000 seats so it's no big deal to reduce the size by 15%...and that will allow us to improve the practice facility, locker room, lounge...all the stuff that players like...and that will allow us to get better players...and that will allow us to win more game...

...won't that result in bigger fan attendance?

It was packed all the time in the 90s. Those who say we "can't fill it" have some darned short memories. The only difference now is that in addition to occasionally hosting Duke, UNC, NCSU, SC, and Wake...we're adding Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt and Notre Dame.

I do not believe that the reduction was necessary and I do believe we will ultimately regret it.

null

They should just build a roof over Death Valley

Jan 14, 2015, 12:19 PM

and have the basketball team play there. At least then it wouldn't be a complete waste of money.

if you look at CU's "program requirements" and "objectives"

Jan 14, 2015, 9:42 PM

you'd see that one of the stated goals is:

"Transforming the seating configuration to better fit the specific dimensions of basketball and to increase the intimacy of the coliseum while decreasing the overall seating capacity"

{slide/page 39}

transforming the arena is seen as a key step in improving the basketball program:

"A critical objective of the re-construction of the coliseum will be the opportunity to improve the operations of the men’s and women’s basketball programs by providing for specific space needs and the achievement of a more functional configuration of spaces that enhances the ability of the program leaders to recruit prospective players and to properly develop their basketball, academic and personal skills during their time in the program."

slide/page 42

from the "Building Assessment and Program Study" pdf link is here:

http://www.clemson.edu/facilities/campus-planning/ae-selections/H12-T032-SG.html

there are two goals: 1) improve the facility for the players/program and 2) improve the fan experience

the idea seems to be that a new configuration with 8,500 seats and a VIP/club area will enhance the fan experience.

the powers that be think it's better to enhance the experience of 8,500 than occasionally have 10,000 in there.

reducing capacity is certainly debatable, but i think moving a lot of the student seats along one sideline is a great idea.

Jan 14, 2015, 10:34 PM

I rarely have missed a Clemson home basketball game in years and years. Some of the recollections that LJ was always full under OP are just inaccurate. Attendance was better than it has been this year but still poor overall. Some big games were exceptions.

Replies: 25
| visibility 3,231
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic