Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can't believe posting this study is P&R but...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 396

Can't believe posting this study is P&R but...

Nov 25, 2020, 1:06 PM

here we are.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cloth-mask-is-a-powerful-weapon-against-coronavirus-224321477.html

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is good information to have. I am a mask wearer.

Nov 25, 2020, 1:17 PM

I will do anything that will reduce the spread of any virus, and I want anything that is said to work to actually work.

However, the study does not show what the title says it does. The only study that can show whether masks inhibit the spread of a virus is a randomized test, and so far all tests have shown that masks do not inhibit the spread of viruses. No randomized test has shown that they do. The official position of the CDC, as of March, was to not wear masks, and it was for that reason. The known science on this has not changed.

This study merely shows how different materials perform in reducing the amount of particles expelled or inhaled. Whether this inhibits infection is another question, which can be answered only by a randomized test. See above.

I am a mask wearer (they might work, there is no reason not to at this time, and it is the considerate thing to do). I also know that most people know what I have just written. I am not advocating mask rebellion. However, before we go blaming this or that person for covid, or issuing national mandates, or chiding people for being anti science, shouldn't we recognize what the science actually is?

I am not saying you are doing any of that: This is a good article, glad you posted it. I am only pointing out that we seem to be adopting mask wearing as something that we don't know that it is, and mistakes like that can cause very bad decisions.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is good information to have. I am a mask wearer.

Nov 25, 2020, 1:22 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree to an extent...

Nov 25, 2020, 1:29 PM

I agree a randomized study would be best, but there IS some evidence that the amount of exposure partially determines how sick a person gets or perhaps even whether they have any symptoms. We knoe from studying other viruses that masks do reduce some spread. Asians (in asia) wear masks when they have a cold. Assuming that all a mask does is REDUCE the exposure to the virus it's still got to help somewhat.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From what I have read, the 6 foot distance seems to be a

Nov 25, 2020, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: This is good information to have. I am a mask wearer. ]

bigger factor than the mask, though that too comes from anecdotal/observational data.

More than a few reputable people say that with a respiratory virus there is little that can be done short of complete isolation. The virus will do what it will do. The same is true of contact viruses like intestinal ones, but that is the point: they can be inhibited by behavior because the actual contact can be prevented by sanitary practices. This seems to not be true of respiratory viruses.

People are reluctant to make this the basis of any conversation. It's like "No, no, don't go there." That's a dangerous approach, I think.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wouldn't assume restrictions or ordinances requiring masks

Nov 25, 2020, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: This is good information to have. I am a mask wearer. ]

equals significant compliance by the population.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is a very good point. It also reflects the problem

Nov 25, 2020, 1:38 PM

in most mask discussions: assumptions and accusation of assumptions. There is only one way to take the assumptions out of it, and when that is done the effectiveness of masks has always fallen short. Maybe one day, with the right mask, it wont. But right now masks have always failed.

I agree that they might be protecting somewhat. However, we have adopted masks as the cure, meaning that if someone is not wearing a mask they are the problem. As a mask wearer, I can admit, scientifically speaking, that is not the case.

Mask wearing will not get us out of covid. No data anywhere suggests that it can, and to assume that it can will lead to dangerous decisions.

In my personal experience...

Nov 25, 2020, 1:40 PM [ in reply to I wouldn't assume restrictions or ordinances requiring masks ]

I travel around the state a fair amount and I drive through a lot of small towns. There are certain rural areas in SC where you drive through and see NO ONE wearing a mask. Not one person.

In at least two of those locations there have been substantial outbreaks not long after.

Re: In my personal experience...

Nov 25, 2020, 1:56 PM

Newberry and Chester...

Nov 25, 2020, 2:32 PM

and Lancaster a while back. All seemed to have spikes a month or so past when I passed through and didn't see a lot of mask usage.

Nov 25, 2020, 2:03 PM [ in reply to This is good information to have. I am a mask wearer. ]

Tulsa,

Can you help me out ? It would seem to me that if a mask works in "reducing the amount of particles expelled or inhaled." then it would have to reduce the chances of spreading the virus. I certainly understand that a randomized test would be needed to quantify how much help the mask is. but doesn't the mere reduction in particles expelled or inhaled mean less chance for transmission ??

Nov 25, 2020, 3:02 PM

Sorry, doctors should have thrown out their assumptions about masks long ago. There is really no point at all for them to wear them in surgical environment. They are idiots in general, especially the dang neurosurgeons. They are looking at brain matter without enough brain matter themselves to realize a dang mask isn’t going to prevent all those tiny droplets from getting into that open cavity and into the spongy tissue. Bunch of underwhelming mouth-breathers, the lot of them, lol.

Without a randomized trial, there’s no way to know. So maybe what we do is force a bunch of overly pedantic TNET wannabe scientists to volunteer to subject themselves to a few lethal doses of live virus so we can finally get to the bottom of this myth.

Put an end to the assumptions once and for all.

Nov 25, 2020, 3:08 PM

Nov 25, 2020, 3:29 PM

So are you down to participate in a randomized trial? Which flavor of live virus interests you?

You can’t really know if it works til you test it, and maybe a few good people will die, but thems the brakes, that is the price for being 100% assumption-free and correct on this subject.

the key fact in that article is that cloth masks are more

Nov 25, 2020, 1:34 PM

fashionable than light blue surgical masks. Now that the weather is cooler, I'll be switching back to cloth masks, to make sure I'm staying up with the fashion trends.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you. I've been fighting this battle the whole time.

Nov 25, 2020, 1:36 PM

Studies aside, isn't it just common sense? Seems so to me. Besides, I'm under the care of two cardiologists, a neurologist, and family doctor, and all of them have repeatedly stressed to me the importance of wearing a mask. So when people make claims about whether or not masks are effective, I just tell them that I don't care what CNN, Fox News, or internet experts say, I'm following the advice of my personal doctors, and I advise that everyone consult their doctors as well, and ignore all of the politically driven jibberish. This study just reinforces what to me is common sense.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

It should just be common sense.

Nov 25, 2020, 1:42 PM

Considering it requires zero effort to wear a mask I can't understand why it's controversial, but I guess we all gotta fight about everything anymore.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

seems to me those that argue against masks because they

Nov 25, 2020, 2:10 PM

don't work, and point to the continuing spread, are overlooking the impact of those that don't follow the recommendations, nor do they acknowledge that things could be a lot worser if nobody wore a mask.

See: South Dakota, little mask wearing anywhere, and the most per capita cases in the world.

Message was edited by: NoIntroduction®
don't

Let's not forget that it lessens the viral load of anyone

Nov 25, 2020, 2:36 PM

who is spreading it and wearing a mask.

But yet, you have way too many idiots in this country.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Replies: 18
| visibility 396
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic