Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can we stop the myth that Maryland brings the DC market?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Can we stop the myth that Maryland brings the DC market?

Nov 19, 2012, 7:37 PM

http://www.tomahawknation.com/2012/5/15/3021181/is-fsu-really-the-most-valuable-team-in-the-acc

The ACC, specifically Swofford, made the mistake of thinking that going after college teams in populated areas, would drastically capture tv market share. It failed. Think of it this way, Mitt Romney wasn't going to spend the 2 weeks prior to the election campaigning in New York. Why not you ask yourself? New York has 10+ million people. Simple, he wasn't going to capture enough of the vote to warrant it. Same reason why Maryland isn't going to outdraw the Redskins, why BC isn't going to outdraw the Patriots and Celtics, etc.

This has been the most OVERUSED excuse for picking teams and it is flat out not working. How many teams has the SEC added in major markets? 0. They will have the biggest TV contract of anyone. Need more proof?

Who are the SEC's next targets? UNC, VT? Neither are in a major sports town.

Delany is just as big of a moron as Swofford.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

This is like welfare -- Maryland, Wake, and BC have been on

Nov 19, 2012, 7:51 PM

ACC food stamps!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

it takes no more than a cursory glance at the SEC and ACC

to figure this out, yet people still seem to hang onto the "TV market" insanity.

ACC: Boston, Miami, Washington DC, Charlotte
SEC: Baton Rouge, Tuscaloosa, Gainesville, Atlanta

There are more people in Boston than in Alabama and Mississippi combined. More folks are watching college football in which place on any given Saturday? I think I saw Birmingham had an 85% share watching college football, and Boston is like 15%.

Re: Can we stop the myth that Maryland brings the DC market?

Dang broadcast companies must be fooled as well!! They are spending a lot of money. The big 12 and ACC fooled them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it has to do with the Big10 being able to charge more for

Nov 19, 2012, 8:02 PM

network in a market where they have teams. I think I saw it explained as the difference between .10 cents per household to now they can ask for $1.20 per househould...

that's a lot of money, so yes it does have something to do with additional TV sets.

Re: it has to do with the Big10 being able to charge more for

Nov 20, 2012, 10:31 AM

Here's the theory on that:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/pete_thamel/11/18/big-ten-expansion-tv-money/index.html#ixzz2Cjv6b0AC

I guess they'll learn their lesson when the local cable people laugh them out of their offices.

There is no DC market for college sports….

Nov 19, 2012, 8:03 PM

There is only one team that the DC market cares about, and that is the Washington Redskins.

Nattitude has caught on a bit.

Nov 19, 2012, 8:29 PM

It was fun seeing some October baseball up here.

This isn't about bringing the DC market or not

Nov 19, 2012, 8:31 PM

this is about the BigTen networks agreement where they can charge a higher license fee in the states where they have teams vs areas like Atlanta where they don't. I've read tonight that it's anywhere from .10 cents in areas they don't have a team to .80 cents to $1.20 per month in areas they don't. This is about tv dollars and tomorrow's announcement with Rutgers is the same.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At the end of the day, you have to have people willing to

Nov 20, 2012, 9:53 AM

pay for that in their cable packages though. Eventually, supply/demand economics always wins and another carrier will split it out, because they refuse to raise rate on their clients, or it will become an unprofitable deal for the licensee to hold on to (Fox). They aren't going to subsidize a product they they are losing money on.

Short term, this will work for the B1G and Maryland, long term, it will end up devaluing the dollar per subscriber number that is so key to the inter workings of this deal.

Re: At the end of the day, you have to have people willing to

Nov 20, 2012, 10:35 AM

I agree. You might get 1.20 per subscriber in areas where people actually watch those teams, but I don't why anyone thinks that's the case in DC or NYC with MD and Rutgers. I live in NJ and I see more Clemson games on TV here than Rutgers. I also would suspect that there is a good possibility for a la carte pricing to come to TV. In the end you need to put out a good product that people want to watch. That's where the money is.

Nov 19, 2012, 8:32 PM

Its not the ratings. Its the number of subscribers the B10 Network will be able to charge monthly. The stand alone network is a different model than the ACC's pieced together group of affiliates that carry games.

When your conference games and, thus, Clemson are on

Nov 20, 2012, 10:19 AM

television in the DC market, covered by newspapers on the net and other ways in the DC market, and suddenly you are not covered at all there due to Maryland leaving, then yes, Maryland brought the DC market. Now all of the people watching Clemson and other ACC teams, getting news about the ACC, nespaper coverage, local news, etc, will be watching the BigTen.

Why? Because Maryland brought the DC market to the ACC.

VT is far more follow in DC than Maryland.

Nov 20, 2012, 2:33 PM

proximity =/= viewership.

Ditto for Rutgers bringing NYC***

Nov 20, 2012, 10:22 AM

Nov 20, 2012, 10:40 AM

I agree. Penn State probably brings more fans from the Baltimore/DC TV markets than Maryland ever will. The Big Ten won't truly capture Baltimore/DC unless they want to add the Redskins and Ravens.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic