Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can we all agree that any poll, other than
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1,948

Can we all agree that any poll, other than

Sep 14, 2014, 3:40 PM

the one the committee will release sometime in October... means absolutely nothing and has absolutely no bearing on the playoffs.

you will feel better if you can just understand that

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Glad the polls have no influence over the committee...

Sep 14, 2014, 3:50 PM

E$ECPN will freakout over the decisions of the playoff committee.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If the playoff started tomorrow,"

Sep 14, 2014, 4:00 PM

has to be the funniest one liner in the history of sports broadcasting.

We've endured almost two years of ESPiN's speculation on how a four seed would look with their polls. That's an effin laugh. The committee won't make them impotent but they will have their first vaSECtomy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't think the polls will have any influence on the

Sep 14, 2014, 4:14 PM

committee? I do.

I do not***

Sep 14, 2014, 4:18 PM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I hope you are right.***

Sep 14, 2014, 4:20 PM

The influence will be so slight it won't be noticeable.

Sep 14, 2014, 4:37 PM [ in reply to You don't think the polls will have any influence on the ]

No, in essence the current polls will have no effect on the selection of the four most worthy teams. SOS will develop naturally with little influence, if any, from the sports media.

Let's review the criteria.

"Conference Champs will have special consideration." That's as fair as rain. If you win your conference you should get consideration over those who didn't.

"Win/Loss record comparison." No questions or comments needed here.

"Head to Head matchups." Who wants a rematch? I think this handles it.

"SOS." This might be a clue as to where you're seeing the influence of existing polls but remember, these polls usually pan out about right by late October when the first committee poll is to be published. I think the main difference will be the W/L record and head to head matchups will be paramount and I'd expect the committee to have a pure and unbiased formula to process the data.

I also don't expect a B1G or a West Coast favorite to get a nod just to draw support like the media. We won't see the cluster flock of having a team that lost being ranked higher than a team that beat them. We won't see the arrogance of the pollsters placing teams just to defend their previous impressions and decisions. This committee has something that's lacking in sports media, they don't play favorites.

That's a perfect world if there is a perfect world where humans exist.

OH YEAH, ND is just another school. Placing them high in the polls won't give you favor with GOD!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The influence will be so slight it won't be noticeable.

Sep 14, 2014, 6:36 PM

I agree conference champs should get special consideration but hypothetical for you. Let's say Duke wins the ACC in an upset over FSU or Clemson. How much consideration would Duke really get?

I'm sure the playoff committee will release the usual press release type crap but I think we all know Duke wouldn't be considered.

Just playing devils advocate, don't hurt me ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If they consider Dook's win/loss record and their SOS...

Sep 14, 2014, 10:31 PM

and no one they've played before is invited along with at least one other conference champion with a worse resume they'll probably seed Dookie.

Can you imagine Dook being all that? Me either.

Polls, schmolls. Just win.***

Sep 14, 2014, 4:22 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have they released the rowing preseason rankings?

Sep 14, 2014, 4:23 PM

Cause I hear we row with SEC speed...

usually the polls have it right in the end anyway.

Sep 14, 2014, 4:24 PM

I think the best team has generally played in the bcs champ.

Yes, and sometimes ND or OSU plays because of their...

Sep 14, 2014, 4:40 PM

preseason ranking and lack of SOS. The current polls are a travesty especially this time of year.

Re: Yes, and sometimes ND or OSU plays because of their...

Sep 14, 2014, 5:56 PM

Some men ignore polls while other men observe them ....which are you ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

There was a time when traditional polls were...

Sep 14, 2014, 10:36 PM

the only horse in town. During those decades they were paramount but now there is a new Sheriff in town. I know what the playoff committee promised and what drove the football community to install this system so I'm expecting something closer to fair than anything before.

I pay absolutely no attention to the traditional polls. IMO, they are a delusion perpetrated on the mass of ignorant football fan. Most of whom just want to hear and read what pleases them. (int frag)

Re: Can we all agree that any poll, other than

Sep 14, 2014, 6:12 PM

I believe polls will matter or at least the perception will be there.

A 20th ranked conference champion won't have a chance or not much of a chance to be in the playoff.

Or maybe I'm miss understanding how the playoff committee works.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's kinda hard to get used to since the BCS is over...

Sep 14, 2014, 10:38 PM

Gonna work on it though...lol

Thanks York.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All In, All The Time...1314797352813

Re: It's kinda hard to get used to since the BCS is over...

Sep 14, 2014, 10:58 PM

Seeing and hearing ESPiN spend 18+ months speculating on who would be in the playoff were the selections made today takes a toll on one's soul. Laughing at the intentional ignorance of their super dooper talking head which enables them to erroneously evaluate their favorite pets rubs my rocks raw.

Re: Can we all agree that any poll, other than

Sep 14, 2014, 10:54 PM

Agreed. We need to worry about winning games, and let the polls work themselves out.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1,948
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic