Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can we achieve a #1 recruiting class in 2019 ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Can we achieve a #1 recruiting class in 2019 ?

Feb 11, 2018, 10:01 AM

Depending on the recruiting service you check into ( ESPN , RIVALS , 247 , ETC. ) we finished this class at #5 , #6 and #8 . That of course , is with our class being at just 17 commitments .
My posit is that in 2019 , with a full 25 spots and who knows maybe one or two more than that if the chips fall in our favor ... can this staff put it together and do something like UGA did this cycle ?

I think the chances are great that we may end up in the top 4 , but what about that coveted #1 spot ? Dabo and the crew are most certainly capable .

Voice your opinion here .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I think 4-5 will go to current non-scholarships...

Feb 11, 2018, 10:05 AM

Just a guess. Either way, we'll be fine.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think 4-5 will go to current non-scholarships...

Feb 11, 2018, 10:39 AM

Maybe . Or maybe they don't and we absolutely hit home runs with nearly all of our top targets .
Agree though , we gonna do just fine ??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

In 19? Don't bank on that.***

Feb 11, 2018, 12:03 PM [ in reply to I think 4-5 will go to current non-scholarships... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Can we achieve a #1 recruiting class in 2019 ?

Feb 11, 2018, 10:06 AM

Anything is possible with Dabo at the helm.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s possible, but as long as we are in the top 10

Feb 11, 2018, 10:12 AM

History shows that as long as a team has consecutive top 10 classes then National Championship’s are possible. And there is no doubt in my mind we will fall somewhere between #1 and #8

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It’s possible, but as long as we are in the top 10

Feb 11, 2018, 10:43 AM

Well we were inside of that 1-8 range with possibly 8 fewer signees , so my thought is that maybe we add another 5 star kid or another six 4 star kids to boost rankings .

I know the subjectivity of it all , but having fun thinking about our future .

DB23

I do not think we can bc it is harder to be the number 1 recruiting class

Feb 11, 2018, 10:22 AM

And be good fits at clemson. Much easier when teams only care about how talented a kid is.

Feb 11, 2018, 10:22 AM

If I had to guess no. I think UGA is a bother right now causing all those car troubles... good news I’m sure they are helping to pay to fix them.

Our staff is proven much better at developing talent so I don’t care but the only problem with UGA is taking talent from us. Without them and Kirby’s “tactics” we lad Zamir, Salyer, and Mays last year. Imagine that class with a staff who can develop.

Feb 11, 2018, 10:46 AM

I'm not sure we DO land those kids you mentioned , at least not all of them .
I do feel like we had a great shot with White and Salyer , don't think Mays was ever truly interested in us .
Georgia is always a thorn though ...and it doesnt really matter who their coach is , right about that one .

DB23

Feb 11, 2018, 10:33 AM

I def see a consensus top 5 class, with the high chance of being top 3 with normal 25+ man class. This past class was amazing with landing 6+ less recruits then others ahead of us but had a top 4 average per recruit ranking. So I def think with a large class this 19 cycle we can def finish top 3. Uga already has 2 top 10 prospects so they will be hard to over take as #1 class. If we hit on most of the guys we want I can see this 19 class being Very very special. I def think we get another top 5 class and prob top 3. I can't wait to see what big names we land this class but it def has a special feel to it already. If our success on the field continues and maybe another title the sky is the limit with this 19 cycle. They have already shown we are top brand in CFB from article or atleast a top 3 brand if you don't read too much into that article. Just can't wait to see the beast we land in this class. Go Tigers!!

Message was edited by: HunterClemsonTigers

Feb 11, 2018, 10:38 AM

It's going to be tough for a couple of reasons - and one is that 2019 is a down year in-state. Actually that's putting it mildly; I've heard it's a historically barren year in-state.

We're definitely casting a much wider net, both regionally and nationally, and we're going to have to...because we're definitely not loading up from within South Carolina this year. Kirby is buying anything that moves in Georgia...and like it or not, recruiting Florida is similarly going to be a fair bit harder now that Richt has secured Miami/Orange/Dade again, Willie Taggart - who can SERIOUSLY recruit - is in at FSU, and Mullen is in at UF.

Oh, and just for giggles, another manic Saban disciple, Jeremy Pruitt, just took over at UT. He was hired by their present AD, Phil Fulmer. I will allow anybody who remembers the "Phil Fulmer rule" the SEC has now instituted or the name "Albert Means" to tell us what that means.

So regional recruiting is only going to get harder too, and the SEC is now populated even more heavily by Saban-bots and increasingly desperate (and envious) fan and booster bases. You thought the bagman was out in force before, just watch. It's going to be blood-in-the-gutters ruthless this year.

Amidst that we're going to have to pick and choose and find our way. Fortunately, as was mentioned in articles here, Clemson's "brand" has never been stronger so we should definitely be able to find the "Clemson type" kids, the sheep amidst the goats, as it were, but when you're recruiting from a distance it always gets dicier, too.

So can we do it? Dunno. Big challenge, this year.

Feb 11, 2018, 10:48 AM

So what you're saying Quozzel , is that next year should be a banner year for the Coots in-state ?

DB23

No great players in-state means bad news for SCAR for sure!

Feb 11, 2018, 11:23 AM

Watching the battle between Alshon Jeffery and Stephon Gilmore in the Super Bowl was a strong reminder of what actually propelled them to that little run of success they had a while back and why they're struggling today.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No great players in-state means bad news for SCAR for sure!

Feb 11, 2018, 12:04 PM

I think Genghis Coot had everything to do with their success between 2008 and 2013 . There was his mystique and his past to draw recruits away from the UGAs/Clemsons .
They had some good years jist through his coaching acumen too .

DB23

Feb 11, 2018, 2:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Can we achieve a #1 recruiting class in 2019 ? ]

So what you're saying Quozzel , is that next year should be a banner year for the Coots in-state ?

If they like 2-stars, yeah. It's grim out there right now. Dunno why but the usual big programs (Byrnes, Dorman, Northwestern, South Pointe, etc.) just aren't producing players like they used to...it's gotten progressively worse. One theory is that a lot of the high school coaches who used to build empires and develop the bulk of the talent - the Bobby Bentley's and Kyle Richardson's, for instance - are getting pulled up to the college ranks, often in those "analyst/coach-in-waiting" roles. Whatever, South Carolina this year looks like freakin' Delaware most years. Bad.

I'm sure (some) guys will emerge because people are going to have to take a harder look at the sleepers and rawer products but right now there look like less than a half-dozen legit FBS guys in the state and very few of those are Clemson takes.

That definitely doesn't help the Gamecocks, whatever. They've been making a passable living the last couple years scooping up the in-state guys we didn't offer and it looks like those pickings are going to be very slim.

Feb 11, 2018, 8:18 PM

quozzel said:

If they like 2-stars, yeah. It's grim out there right now. Dunno why but the usual big programs (Byrnes, Dorman, Northwestern, South Pointe, etc.) just aren't producing players like they used to...it's gotten progressively worse. One theory is that a lot of the high school coaches who used to build empires and develop the bulk of the talent - the Bobby Bentley's and Kyle Richardson's, for instance - are getting pulled up to the college ranks, often in those "analyst/coach-in-waiting" roles. Whatever, South Carolina this year looks like freakin' Delaware most years. Bad.

I'm sure (some) guys will emerge because people are going to have to take a harder look at the sleepers and rawer products but right now there look like less than a half-dozen legit FBS guys in the state and very few of those are Clemson takes.

That definitely doesn't help the Gamecocks, whatever. They've been making a passable living the last couple years scooping up the in-state guys we didn't offer and it looks like those pickings are going to be very slim.

Quozzel, this is the first time I've read about a reason for what I personally have noticed is a decline in the depth of quality of SC HS talent over the years. I wasn't sure if it was just a population change or what. I know that, per capita, SC has always done well in producing prospects. I am comparing the past few years with maybe a decade + ago. I don't know....time flies.

Raiding the coaching staffs like you said it interesting and a bit scary. I was just talking to a former principal in Georgia who commented on what some big-time GA HS program head coaches make/year (and they don't teach at all...just coach). One I was hearing about makes $130K/year. I just don't know if SC has the resources for that.

Considering that our recruiting of a player could begin years before his senior year, if there is no way to combat the UGA "tactics" (which negates years of good faith recruiting), I would agree that things may be quite dicey this year. That's too bad, considering it's the first full class we will have in a while. On the other hand, we do seem to find the ones who are independent thinkers who want to be different. I think that adds to the strength of our team.

I thought I read that Clemson doesn't plan to have official visits this Spring? Not sure if that is a final decision. This early signing period with early official visits requires that the game be played strategically well. Dabo and staff aren't perfect, and they are certainly capable of miscalculations. But they do deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I agree that in-state talent is key to being the backbone of a class. Alabama has that benefit. So does Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, the Florida schools, etc. It's too bad SC is having a bad year this coming year. Sounds to me like this is something that the SC HS football association/orgs should look into because it's to the overall benefit of the sport and athletes to have the opportunities associated with football scholarships to D1 schools.

I sincerely hope the high character recruits we go after...

Feb 11, 2018, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Can we achieve a #1 recruiting class in 2019 ? ]

are not the kind that would be taking money from "bag men".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably not, but you can't rule it out***

Feb 11, 2018, 10:39 AM

Yes.***

Feb 11, 2018, 11:05 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes.***

Feb 11, 2018, 12:01 PM

Finally , a short and straight .

DB23

Definitely.

Feb 11, 2018, 11:47 AM

we will be a top 4 class. 1 to 4 is splitting hairs anyway, but I think we could easily be 1. I am expecting top 2.

I preer the re-ranking down the road in 2 or 3 years when we

Feb 11, 2018, 12:17 PM

still have 16 of the 17 and UGA and others have 20 of their 25.....

Yes TD

Feb 11, 2018, 12:27 PM

It can happen at least these two ways: 1) Clemson plays to win with great team chemistry in 2018, goes undefeated in regular season, beats MIA again in ACC championship, and makes it to championship series, or 2) Clemson has a disappointing season due to injuries and Dabo and coaching staff are even more motivated than usual (which is saying an awful lot because they are already dominant) to own 2019/20 recruiting.

Note: Due to new recruiting rules, once again, most recruits will be signed Dec this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No.

Feb 11, 2018, 12:54 PM

UGA already has (3) 5 Stars committed and lead for Owe Pappoe. Unless they fall on their faces, it will be very difficult to overcome them, especially since we are in the same recruiting footprint.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we're already number 1

Feb 11, 2018, 1:50 PM

ratings don't take into account the value of each position and over-emphasize total numbers. The highest value position of course is the quarterback, who handles the ball every snap, and we have the best quarterback of all, so that trumps everything else, and now we have the highest graded receivers for him to distribute to. Also excellent linemen to protect him and probably the best defensive players you can find.

Case closed.

Feb 11, 2018, 2:06 PM

Living up to UGAs standard will never be one of our goals! So no, don't care if we do what they did this year.

Feb 11, 2018, 9:58 PM

Not intentionally did I imply that UGAs standard for their 2018 class was what we should aspire to , but that we should have a great shot at a similar outcome with OUR staff and OUR standard ...which is best .

DB23

Feb 11, 2018, 5:38 PM

First of all I think we had by far the best class in 2018 (wish we could have gotten a safety and another OT). I also have full confidence in Dabo's mastery in recruiting. However, what scares me a little about 2019 is that we do not seem to be in the lead for the top ranked 2019 recruits. I think if we knew we were going to have 5 extra slots this year we might would have gotten better value with the 2018 class than we will taking 25 in 2019

Feb 11, 2018, 10:00 PM

McMicheal will likely play safety for Clemson , or so I am told .

DB23

Re: Can we achieve a #1 recruiting class in 2019 ? Nope..

Feb 12, 2018, 8:10 AM

It's an E$ecPN rule.....

Sorry.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic