Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Elliott says backups will have to knock out Howard to be RB starter
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

FB Update: Elliott says backups will have to knock out Howard to be RB starter

Jul 15, 2014, 11:28 AM

Elliott says backups will have to knock out Howard to be RB starter

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Elliott says backups will have to knock out Howard to be RB starter

Jul 15, 2014, 11:31 AM

mot all over this in 5.4.3.2.1

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Elliott says backups will have to knock out Howard to be RB starter

Jul 15, 2014, 11:57 AM

If Howard and Brooks are our go-to guys at RB, then IMHO we have real problems at that position. Really hope I'm wrong, but If you haven't seen anything in three years.....

Brooks has actually been pretty good

Jul 15, 2014, 12:06 PM

He's averaged about 5 YPC, and he's a great threat in the passing game, too. Just wish he could play at about 210 since he's 6'1" instead of at 195 or 200.

Howard is fine at RB, I think, but he hasn't really done much to impress me so far. As some other said, he looked good his freshman year but has been under 4 YPC since then.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are 100% correct - IF (big "IF") Howard and Brooks

Jul 15, 2014, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Elliott says backups will have to knock out Howard to be RB starter ]

have not improved considerably, and they are the best we've got, then we are in trouble at RB.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: You are 100% correct - IF (big "IF") Howard and Brooks

Jul 15, 2014, 8:49 PM

Elliot has coached some dynamic runningbacks at Clemson. If he says Howard is the starter, then he's sees something, or have seen something that has warrant Howard as the starter at this point and time. I did see some eye catching spring video performances by Howard that cause me to go back and look twice to see if that was really Howard carrying the football. If he's consistent with what I saw, Howard will do well this year. He will be another (1000)yards rusher this season. Or one of the (1000)yards rusher this season.

I definitely trust the coaches to get the best players on

Jul 16, 2014, 9:22 AM

the field. I hope you are right; I hope Howard has improved and he's ready.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I definitely trust the coaches to get the best players on

Jul 16, 2014, 10:33 AM

Howard has been a solid RB for 3 years...he just has trouble holding on to the ball....i have no problem with him as starter....til he fumbles

Re: You are 100% correct - IF (big "IF") Howard and Brooks

Jul 20, 2014, 12:06 AM [ in reply to Re: You are 100% correct - IF (big "IF") Howard and Brooks ]

outside of ellington, elliot hasn't had crap to work with at RB since he has been here. Burton Burns was the one that coached Spiller, Davis, and Harper.

And agree, underwhelmed by brooks, and Howard would have had to make some serious progress for me to believe he will not get knocked out by Gallman or Adam Choice.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2014, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Elliott says backups will have to knock out Howard to be RB starter ]

Slumcoot....What do you get out of saying "we" with your 21% er?ction rate??? Go back to that dump hole of a site that you belong to and get off these boards, while you're at it come pick up my trash...That is seriously pathetic...Just say you're a coot...You're not fooling anyone, however, I will give you props for one thing, you certainly live up to your name/handle!

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Jul 15, 2014, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Elliott says backups will have to knock out Howard to be RB starter ]

What a load of horse crap. Dj has gotten worse ever year. If he is the starter Day 1 we need to find a new RB coach. Even to give him a chance and take away 1st team reps from real contenders is a huge mistake and will hurt. Gallman, Choice, Brooks. Run with them its really all we have.

Jul 15, 2014, 12:03 PM

lol, rest my case.

I'm sure you know better than our coaching staff.....

Jul 15, 2014, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Elliott says backups will have to knock out Howard to be RB starter ]

SMH

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Darn glad the coaches make the decisions, not you guys.***

Jul 15, 2014, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Elliott says backups will have to knock out Howard to be RB starter ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Darn glad the coaches make the decisions, not you guys.***

Jul 15, 2014, 12:27 PM

Same coaches who've been telling us for 3 years how great Howard and Brooks were. How has that worked out? No amount of hocus-pocus BS is going to turn these two guys into elite running RB's, which they are NOT.

keep on trollin***

Jul 15, 2014, 12:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

That's not quite right

Jul 15, 2014, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Darn glad the coaches make the decisions, not you guys.*** ]

Howard and Brooks have played a little bit thus far, but only Brooks has really competed for the starting job, and he was beaten out by a Senior who turned out to be pretty good. Howard is the veteran guy who coaches feel like we can count on, while Brooks is the talent who still needs to prove himself. Coaches have talked them up like they would talk up any player, but that talk hasn't translated into playing time until this year.

I also don't think Brooks should be lumped in with Howard. Brooks has averaged more than 5 YPC, while Howard has been around 3.5 the last two years. Brooks is also a great vertical threat in the passing game. So Howard has been named the starter because he's decently talented and the most experienced guy, but Brooks is the guy coaches are expecting to take the reins.

While I agree that we don't have evidence that any of our RBs are going to be elite, we also didn't know how McDowell would look as the feature back last year. The coaches were all saying it would be a running back by committee approach, just like they're saying this year.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's not quite right

Jul 15, 2014, 3:49 PM

I'm not sure you can say that Howard is the reliable back... the guy has been a fumble machine pretty much his entire career. The defense we have this year can be dominant and win ball games for us, as long as we don't turn it over and put them on short fields.

That being said, I think this is merely a motivational ploy for the likes of Brooks and Gallman. I will be shocked if Howard actually gets the bulk of the carries early on this year.

null

The only BS originates with you.***

Jul 15, 2014, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Darn glad the coaches make the decisions, not you guys.*** ]

Tell 'em coot

Jul 15, 2014, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Darn glad the coaches make the decisions, not you guys.*** ]

smh

My input on Howard

Jul 15, 2014, 3:45 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Elliott says backups will have to knock out Howard to be RB starter ]

Personally, I think the talent is there with Howard. His biggest problem has been inconsistency. And early on, he has had issues holding on to the football. Possibly even knowing the play book. Some backs have even had issues protecting the QB, Howard may have been guilty of that as well. But as of right now, sure. You start Howard. But is he the most talented back on the roster. Probably not. But I do see him helping this team a lot this year.

Moving forward, I wouldn't expect too much from Tyshon Dye in 2014. But Howard's biggest challenge may come from none of than Wayne Gallman ( no surprise eh :) But all in all, I think our backs will be fine.

Good news is RB is a position true freshman can handle***

Jul 15, 2014, 12:39 PM

Lets all take a step back

Jul 15, 2014, 3:24 PM

As many of us know, coaches can't truly motivate a player. It comes from within and coaches pull the senior card to get the younger guys to go all out. I think this was intended for our much more talented RB's to take that elite step and be the starter. There is no way with the talent that we have recruited we shouldn't have a great RB. Howard has been a great representative for CU but he doesn't have what it takes or he would of been the starter by now. I think we should be ok with Gallman but the best has yet to come from Dabo and staff with our run game**

Re: Lets all take a step back

Jul 15, 2014, 5:56 PM

y'all might have said the same about Hot Rod last year..... DJ came is when Spiller was here, played behind Ellington for 2 years... excuse me he might be the best RB we have ever had.. last year DJ was injured most of the year. Hot Rod took the job and ran with it... someone will this year might be DJ, CJ. Gallman, Brooks or one of the true freshmen coming in... we will see. Whoever carries the load... if we have 2000 yds rushing we will be in the conversation for the playoff this year! It does not matter if we have 4 with 500yds each or 2 with 1000 or some other combination...

Re: Lets all take a step back

Jul 15, 2014, 9:06 PM

Great Point! I heard some of the same comments this time last year about Hot Rod whom went on to rush for a 1000yds as a mop-up back the previous year. Lets not forget that the last two hesiman winners came off the bench with NO EXPERIENCE.

Can they pass block?***

Jul 19, 2014, 11:06 PM [ in reply to Good news is RB is a position true freshman can handle*** ]

There's something in these hills.

I am going to keep saying this so that when

Jul 15, 2014, 3:53 PM

it comes to pass, somebody may remember that I said it. CJ Davidson is going to be a huge surprise and will end up being "the guy."

I can see CJ getting it done for us. The kid's got a great

Jul 15, 2014, 9:05 PM

burst to the line - cannonball style - running quick, low, and powerful.

All in all though I just don't see RB being a problem area for us this year. If everyone can stay healthy I would think we're gonna find ourselves having several outstanding options versus each opponent as the gameplan dictates, and racking up substantial yards.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I can see CJ getting it done for us. The kid's got a great

Jul 15, 2014, 9:18 PM

Yes, each back could have something special to bring to the table each week depending on who we are playing that week. Some backs just runs better against certain defenses or teams. We have a lot to choose from for sure.

Re: I can see CJ getting it done for us. The kid's got a great

Jul 16, 2014, 8:27 AM [ in reply to I can see CJ getting it done for us. The kid's got a great ]

I like CJ as well...great burst of speed and good lateral movement. He is a homerun threat as long as he stays healthy. IMHO, Elliott naming Howard the starter was simply a ploy. While Howard was hurt most of last year, he is the senior with the most experience, and who knows, maybe he's improved his ball security, but we all know there are more talented backs on the roster. Check out Beooks' Instagram page lately if you haven't noticed how huge he has gotten over the summer. I will safely say he is at 210, but would guess 215. With him playing injured all of last year, I think this is his year. Gallman is a stud as well. If you noticed Chad Morris stated in the spring that Gallman is a "very violent, angry runner". Morris doesn't heap praise on many players, so this speaks volumes! He reminds me a lot of Spiller, with only good burst. We all know Spiller was great and there is no comparison, but his lateral movement is very similar. I personally think Choice has the potential as a option guy and an x-factor if he gains some experience and gets good reps in camp, plus he can pass, and stands at 210 out of high school. He is that bowling ball type back we've been missing. Don't believe all of the hype Elliott is placing on Howard...while I believe Howard will be a huge help for us as the starting guy, by mid-season that will change. I honestly feel this year could be the best our RB position has seen in a while. Throw in Kurt Fleming to the mix at FB and he could be a game changer in short yardage situation. I'm pumped about it, and know this year will be exciting to watch, and surprise many! Go Tigers!

Re: I am going to keep saying this so that when

Jul 15, 2014, 9:12 PM [ in reply to I am going to keep saying this so that when ]

He has the skill to be a 1000yds rusher for sure. Breakaway speed similar to Ellington. Soild OL blocking and the success of the passing game will enhance his performance and opportunity for bigtime as well as great runs.

ok...

Jul 19, 2014, 10:29 PM [ in reply to I am going to keep saying this so that when ]

you're allowed to say that.

But, it happening? Hmm..

:)

Sounds like a lot of coach speak.

Jul 19, 2014, 10:50 PM

I can't see DJ getting many carries this year barring a rash of injuries. I hope this is just a case of the coaching staff playing close to the vest and that someone else gets the majority of touches in the first game. We don't have the luxury of a bunch of wasted possessions in order to win the opener.

Jul 15, 2014, 9:44 PM

If the spring game was any kind of reference point for Wayne Gallman. He can be that man unless out of the blue Howard just shocks us all....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True. I just love Davidson's combination of

Jul 15, 2014, 9:55 PM

quickness and breakaway speed. He can be a homerun hitter like Spiller or Ellington.

like actually unconscious? or just like a TKO or whatnot?***

Jul 15, 2014, 9:48 PM

This could be a line so the Dawgs studies Howard and then>>

Jul 16, 2014, 1:55 AM

We hit them with a big back, CJ, brooks , then Gallman or Dye could heal quickly. I think we are setting the Dawgs up with the media day. I do believe Brent about this team could be great if the talented guys apply themselves. Sounds like we will be pass happy but we might be run happy between the hedges. That would kill the SEC if we put up big run numbers on their best running team.

Our ranking would jump quick and the little 'Noles would have plenty to think about when we wear them out running like Auburn came close. The only difference is we have QB's that can throw.

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Elliott/Chad/Dabo not giving team a chance if Howard starts

Jul 19, 2014, 9:06 PM

Does Stoudt have to overcome Howard ... and lose his job? Then DeShaun gets Gallman and we try to win? Hard to believe. Must only be Summertime coach-speak.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You need to go back and watch the coaches' interviews...

Jul 19, 2014, 11:12 PM

in particular, Coach Elliot... Nobody is a given and all will have a chance...

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic