Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can someone please explain to me....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Can someone please explain to me....

May 24, 2012, 7:58 PM

Everyone wants to jump to the Big 12 because of UNC, but how is Texas any different from UNC. The Big 12 revolves around them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can someone please explain to me....

May 24, 2012, 7:59 PM

Because when we deal with Texas, we get 8-10 million more dollars a year to do so. And we don't get left out of every major bowl imaginable and the playoff scenario.

May 24, 2012, 8:02 PM

this guy gets it

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Money makes everything better duh.

The commissioner isn't a Texas grad***

nm

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So won't we feel better with the lead tug boat steering us

May 24, 2012, 8:01 PM

towards football priorities and not basketball? Thats he issue.

The ACC adds syracuse and pitt, the Big 12 adds Clem and FSU. See the difference?

Re: So won't we feel better with the lead tug boat steering us

May 24, 2012, 8:04 PM

But they lost Texas A&M....a Football School.

And?***

May 24, 2012, 8:06 PM

Re: And?***

May 24, 2012, 8:14 PM

a football school RAN AWAY from a supposed football conference!

May 24, 2012, 8:20 PM

"a football school RAN AWAY from a supposed football conference! "

I take it you would rather stay in the ACC?

Im not judging, it's all good. When we lost Nebraska, Missouri and even Colorado, many of their fans didn't want to leave. Most of the Missouri fans in KC are still pissed they left to the SEC (it was the St. Louis donors that led the charge if what Mootard fan says is true).

A&M was the only fanbase that wanted out. I think it was being in the shadow of the Longhorns in the state. By going to the SEC they won't have to compete directly against Texas for the fans of the state. I think.

I don't judge any of them for leaving. They did what they thought was best and Clemson will do what they think is best. If that is to remain in the ACC then I wish them well. If that is to join the Big 12, well I think the fans will like it. Every fan base is rabid about football, even when we suck.

May 24, 2012, 8:22 PM

Because we are not next to them!!! You are not going to see the Longhorn network in South Carolina playing Texas high school football games.

May 24, 2012, 8:25 PM [ in reply to Re: And?*** ]

It's not that I don't want to leave the ACC, I think there are good reasons to leave as well as to stay. I just think that this might be a case of the "grass being greener". We are going to swap our founding membership in the ACC to play Iowa St, KSU, and Baylor??? How is this better than UMD, Wake Forest, and NC State?

May 24, 2012, 8:28 PM

Don't know about UMD, Wake or NCSU.

I do know ISU, KSU and Baylor all love football more than basketball. Can the same be said for UMD, Wake or NCSU? (I honestly don't know, Im pretty sure Wake doesn't give a hoot though).

But you also get OU, UT, OSU, WVU, and (potentially keep) FSU.

Our "founding membership" means nothing in dollars and

May 24, 2012, 8:33 PM [ in reply to Re: And?*** ]

cents. Syracuse and Pittsburg will be more prized than FSU and Clemson when they join simply because they are basketball schools, as if we needed any more of those which produce 20 cents on the dollar in revenue.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Partner, we are a founding member that has been crapped on

May 24, 2012, 10:41 PM [ in reply to Re: And?*** ]

in many and various manners for 50 plus years. Tree Rollins had 3 fouls on him before he broke a sweat against UNC or we would have never had the 0 for 54 streak. We have been the victim of horrendous officiating in basketball and football for at least 30 years, with plenty of complaining, without any serious changes made. NONE. We are the only school I have ever heard of receiving and additional year of probation from their own conference. We were penalized for being too loud at football games with the " Too Much Noise rule, and yet were were penalized in basketball ( after the quiet out versus Duke in the 70's) for being too quiet. We have been forced to play 12 oclock games while UNC played BC at 8 pm. We made the ACC baseball tournament a huge success in Greenville only to have it pulled from our state because it was a perceived advantage for Clemson( heaven forbid that 95% of all basketball tournaments have been held within an hour and a half of UNC,Duke,Wake, and State) and now it is held in North Carolina. 40% of ACC officials( and I fairly certain of this) come from the state of North Carolina. Dude, we lost an ACC Championship in 1987( because we were on probation I assume) on a last second play by Maryland where 3 events occured on the same play that would have resulted in a win for Clemson,1) the 25 second clock ran out by at least 2 seconds, it was not a bang bang call, it was obvious, NO FLAG 2) the left guard or tackle CLEARLY jumped offsides before the ball was snapped, NO FLAG 3)The QB then proceeded to throw a pass that went straight through the tight ends hands to the ground. I mean straight through his hands like sh*t through a goose. They did manage to make that call...TD Maryland. I thought Danny was actually going to stomp somebody's a$$ on the field that day. Man, you have gotten me riled up. Somebody take it from here....Spud is going to have cool off a minute or two.

May 24, 2012, 8:22 PM [ in reply to So won't we feel better with the lead tug boat steering us ]

What happens if we join and players from SC, Ga. and NC would rather play some of their games close to home so I guess what I am saying is do we really know that this will help recruiting. If we can't out recruit GA and Usc in the big 12 then we will always be middle of the road in that conference.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2012, 8:26 PM

"What happens if we join and players from SC, Ga. and NC would rather play some of their games close to home so I guess what I am saying is do we really know that this will help recruiting. If we can't out recruit GA and Usc in the big 12 then we will always be middle of the road in that conference."

This is a fair point and one you definitely have to consider.

The counter would be that you have access to Texas recruits. I don't know how the South is and how recruits are but Texas kids want to play in the Big 12. Every single school in the Big 12 is loaded with kids from Texas. It doesn't matter if you are in the same division with them or not, they will pick a Big 12 school more often than not.

And I think you will still be able to recruit pretty well locally (Georgia, South Carolina, etc) and having Florida State there as well cannot hurt.

May 24, 2012, 8:30 PM [ in reply to Re: So won't we feel better with the lead tug boat steering us ]

7 or 8 games will be played in SC... and the southern kids would rather play TX OKLA than BC and Syracuse away....

May 25, 2012, 1:35 AM [ in reply to So won't we feel better with the lead tug boat steering us ]

The man is right. In Texas there are only two sports. Football, and Spring football. The Big East is a how-to example of what results when the conference forgets who drives the bus.

Just want to add a TCU welcome and a thanks for scheduling us in 2009. Like to get your program in a home-and-home real soon to reciprocate your unbelievable hospitality.

May 24, 2012, 8:05 PM

At least the conference is biased towards a national powerhouse that makes the conference better as a whole in regards to football. Can't say that UNC does that at all, going to a 9 game conference schedule just solidifies the fact they are biased towards the NC schools, almost every other team outside of the NC has rivalries outside the ACC

we want to move b/c of money and football power

May 24, 2012, 8:07 PM

not b/c of unc/swoffie. the fact that swoffie missed the boat with re: to football expansion is why we want to leave.

May 24, 2012, 8:08 PM

Honestly, I get that people think this. Especially outsiders. It's really not that way.

One of the biggest complaints by Nebraska and Missouri was unequal revenue sharing. (Nebraska was voting for it until they started sucking, Missouri never did vote for it).

When Texas joined the Big 12, they wanted equal revenue sharing and were outvoted by the "North" teams (at the time, the North had all the power. KSU, Nebraska and Colorado were kings of the hill, OU and UT were sucking air).

In 2007 (i think it was 2007) Texas got outvoted on creating a conference wide network (Nebraska led the charge).

Now when things came to a head, Nebraska cried foul. They were especially pissed that the Conference Championship game got moved to Dallas permanently (nevermind that it made everyone the most money) but then they cited unequal revenue sharing, blah blah blah, retaining of tier 3 rights (which they repeatedly voted for) blah blah.

They weren't the big dog anymore and were upset.

Colorado has wanted in the Pac 12 a long time. They were culturally more akin to the left coasters anyway and really never fit in with the Big 12 culture.

Missouri had been trying to leave since 1947. Flirted with the Big 10 at least a half dozen times.

A&M wanted to initially go to the SEC when the SWC folded. They reluctantly came to the Big 12.

The teams left left for their own reasons, believing themselves to have found a better situation. Outside of Nebraska, I really don't miss any of them. (I do miss Nebraska though, Nubs does not belong in the Big 10. Thats a Big 12 team if ever there was one).

Everyone thinks Texas runs the conference, but they really do not. Everything has been voted on and teams have either sided with or against Texas. Sometimes Texas gets its way (along with those that voted with them) and sometimes they dont.

Swoffie-UNC are obsessed with B-ball

May 24, 2012, 8:09 PM

Texas is obsessed with Football.

/Thread

May 24, 2012, 8:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Can someone please explain to me.... ]

VERY helpful. Thank you

76Jayhawk, I appreciate the insight to the happenings . . .

May 24, 2012, 8:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Can someone please explain to me.... ]

. . . within the Big 12.

I endorse all of the reasons folks want to leave the ACC. And I don't begrudge any conference member the amount of money they earn selling their Tier 3 broadcast rights. I just want my university & my team to have the same opportunity.

If UT has a product they can sell for a gazillion dollars, good for them! If Clemson has a product we can sell for only a half a gazillion dollars, then that's our problem and we can set about solving the marketing angles. I just don't like the idea of someone denying my school and my team that opportunity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 76Jayhawk, I appreciate the insight to the happenings . . .

May 24, 2012, 9:07 PM

If the numbers I saw are accurate about Clemson's fan base, then I could guestimate that, in say 5 years of joining, Clemson could make about 10 million a year on their Tier 3 rights. Clemson clocked in at #10 in the nation in fan base size. Texas came in at #4 with "roughly" twice as many.

Kansas came in 40 something. I use this as a gauge. Because Kansas makes x number, Texas makes x number, so it can be surmised that Clemson would make x number.

Kansas = 8 million,

Texas = 15 million

Clemson = Somewhere in between.

But like I said, it will probably take 5 years or so to build up to that "somewhere in between".

May 24, 2012, 8:30 PM

texas=main focus football
unc/duke= main focus basketball

May 24, 2012, 8:39 PM

The best way to explain it is this.The Big 12 needs two teams to get to 12(they currently have 10) so they can have a playoff like the SEC and the ACC.
One possible scenario has one team ,FSU being asked to join the Big 12.Needing another team the Big 12 could look to add Miami, giving them almost all of the Florida tv market.Of course another possibility would be Ga.Tech but which team would you prefer? Clemson is a plus,but because of the smaller tv market might not be as appealing.
UNC by itself is not the issue regarding jumping to the Big 12.It is that the commissioner of the ACC,John Swofford is an UNC graduate.UNC is a basketball school and Swofford seems to be leaning toward expansion by adding schools that are currently stronger in basketball(Syracuse & Pitt).Either way,if FSU,and or Miami go to the Big 12,the ACC as a football conference looses a lot of appeal and clout.
The SEC,The Pac 10 ,and the Big 10 are jocking to form 4 superconferences which can devise their own championship playoff outside the sphere of the BCS.Another conference will be needed, and that would be the Big 12 unless the ACC acts to strength its place as a football conference.
The SEC is also interested in expansion as far as tv markets.The two areas where they have no tv markets is North Carolina and Virginia.They are looking at N.C. State because we all know that UNC won't go without Duke.The other is Va.Tech,a school with a strong football base.The ACC could ill afford to lose the Hokies to the SEC.
There was also the past failure by the ACC to add West Virginia because of academics,and you saw what they did to Clemson.The ACC is missing the boat on becoming a viable football conference if they remain inactive.So Clemson best interest,imo, is to be proactive in considering all it's options.

May 24, 2012, 8:42 PM

For one thing, Texas more than pulls its own weight in the conference so they deserve some extra political pull. UNC doesn't. Their basketball isn't nearly as valuable as Clemson's(and FSU's) football.

Another big difference is that the Big 12 had sense enough to get a commissioner that isn't a Texas graduate or graduate of any other Big 12 member. Swofford is a UNC grad and former AD.

UNC also exerted control by having 4 ACC members in the state of North Carolina. Back before GT joined that was a *majority* of the whole ACC.

Texas pulls it own weight. dth***

May 24, 2012, 8:48 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^Ding Ding Ding....Winner***

May 24, 2012, 8:51 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

That is just one issue. The fact is we don't have

May 24, 2012, 8:59 PM

any really attractive choices at this point due to a combination of our own failure to win consistently on the field and waiting too long to face up to what the ACC really is.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One word: F O O T B A L L***

May 24, 2012, 9:11 PM

Re: Re: So won't we feel better with the lead tug boat steering us

May 24, 2012, 10:57 PM

@speedracer You also have to take into account the increased national exposure you would receive from better tv contracts. Switching to the Big VII would drastically increase your footprint if the expansion continues in the direction it is going. At this rate the ACC could be competing with the SoCon's of the world.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic