Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can someone help me understand?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Can someone help me understand?

Jan 5, 2018, 12:35 PM

It feels like in recent memory we always have 4-5 qbs on our roster. I was thinking about this after seeing the new offer in the news section for another qb. Obviously with the talent that is now here, is this normal? Or are we preparing for life after TL? Thanks in advance.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can someone help me understand?

Jan 5, 2018, 12:48 PM

We need at least one QB per class just to keep the numbers flat (we'll need 2 one year). That's just due to graduation. We'll need more if we have transfers, early NFL departures, or career ending injuries. In 2014 we lost several QBs and were down to 3 on scholarship (Watson, Stoudt, Schuessler).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Jan 5, 2018, 12:56 PM

I don’t see why we need 6 on scholarship

Jan 5, 2018, 1:23 PM

We'll be extremely blessed if we have 6 on scholarship next year. That would mean no one decided to transfer (which is highly unlikely). Can you imagine any other school where QBs as talented as Hunter Johnson , Chase Brice, Tucker Israel, and Zerrick Cooper would be willing to stick around with as little playing time as these guys have had? That's before adding Trevor Lawrence to the mix. We don't run guys off and passing on Trevor Lawrence this year just because we already have 5 QBs on scholarship would be insanely stupid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Jan 5, 2018, 2:04 PM

I'd imagine that Cooper is fairly likely to transfer. If he was going to grab the starting job it probably needed to be this season and unlike Johnson he's already used his redshirt year.

I'm as big a Clemson fan as any, but hate to see these kids

Jan 5, 2018, 8:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Can someone help me understand? ]

ruin their NFL aspirations to sit on bench at Clemson especially when Dabo is starting QB with no NFL skill sets.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Matt Cassel

Jan 5, 2018, 8:29 PM

The NFL will find you and give you a chance.

Then there's Tajh Boyd.

College isn't the NFL.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

These things happen:

Jan 5, 2018, 12:52 PM

https://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/10/29/maryland-linebacker-quarterback-petty/1666035/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2018, 1:52 PM

It ebbs and flows. Just two years ago we had Watson as a starter and Schuessler and Bryant as backups. Not exactly a recipe for success. We were fortunate that DW stayed healthy all season.

I'd rather have 4-5 highly touted QBs on roster, than end up like 2015 SC where they end up having to start a walk-on (Not of the Mayfield type) due to lack of QB depth.

Jan 5, 2018, 2:21 PM

I'm a Tucker fan, but the Dude has bad luck. Broke his foot first day of practice his freshmen year. Got well and started playing well and then got sick. I hate it for him, but he may not be able to go. We aren't going to kick him off the team for a physical ailment.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2018, 2:40 PM

Tucker really has been unlucky and for that reason has never and will never crack the top 3 of the depth chart. But I believe he is content with where is he and understands this is a brotherhood and he values that more than playing!

Recruiting in College Football

Jan 5, 2018, 3:21 PM

is a combination of a national political campaign, psychological warfare, spy vs. spy and chaos theory. There are a myriad of reasons why people are offered scholarships that are not obvious at the time. In many cases, the true target is not the individual receiving the offer.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic