Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can someone explain the BCS NC playoff and how it works
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1,362

Can someone explain the BCS NC playoff and how it works

Jul 9, 2013, 3:58 AM

When does it go into effect? and how are the teams chosen and what do the Bowls have to do with it?

im lost and havent studied up on it enough to grasp how it works.

Thank you

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2014***

Jul 9, 2013, 4:57 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can someone explain the BCS NC playoff and how it works

Jul 9, 2013, 7:15 AM

Perhaps a Reader's Digest version when my coffee kicks in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2013, 7:22 AM

espn chooses the 4 teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Close

Jul 9, 2013, 3:16 PM

ESPN picks one or to teams to go along with the two to three SEC teams they have picked!

Orange, Peach, Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta, and Rose Bowls

Jul 9, 2013, 8:01 AM

will be for the elite teams.

There will only be 5 major conferences in 2014, so on average, 2 teams from each conference will be placed in these bowl games.

If you are not playing in one of these bowls, your team is not elite.

The Orange Bowl will always be the ACC Champ vs a team from a power house conference including Notre Dame.

The best bowls outside of the new "elite bowls" are Capital One (Citrus), Outback Bowl, Alamo Bowl, and Holiday Bowl. (I understand that these bowls are not that great).

Regardless of how bad the ACC is, they are guaranteed

Jul 9, 2013, 8:27 AM

a spot in one of the elite bowls.

The SEC, Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 12 are also guaranteed a spot.

Re: Orange, Peach, Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta, and Rose Bowls

Jul 9, 2013, 8:52 AM [ in reply to Orange, Peach, Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta, and Rose Bowls ]

I sense some sarcasm but the bowls outside of the playoff are going to act a little differently. Most bowl games will be placed in pools that will have conference input on the selection process. They will look to place teams in spots that make for good match-ups and attendance. Good news is the ACC will play at least 7 major conference opponents every post season.

null

To my knowledge, there has been no official statements

Jul 9, 2013, 10:20 AM

regarding the MAJORITY of the "second tier" bowls (Citrus, Outback, Gator, Alamo, Holiday).

Pac-12 #1 goes to Alamo
Pac-12 #2 goes to Holiday
Big 12 #1 goes to Alamo

There is nothing official concerning the top (second tier) teams in the ACC, SEC, or Big 10.

There are some rumors about the Citrus and Russel Athletic Bowls.

I think the second tier bowls may go down like this:

Jul 9, 2013, 10:41 AM

ACC #1 goes to Gator
ACC #2 goes to Russel
SEC #1 goes to Citrus
SEC #2 goes to Outback
SEC #3-5 goes to Gator
Big 10 #1 goes to Citrus
Big 10 #2 goes to Outback
Big 10 #3-5 goes to Holiday
Big 12 #1 goes to Alamo
Big 12 #2 goes to Russel
Pac-12 #1 goes to Alamo
Pac-12 #2 goes to Holiday

All the second tier bowls are trying to find their "prom dates".

Re: To my knowledge, there has been no official statements

Jul 9, 2013, 3:15 PM [ in reply to To my knowledge, there has been no official statements ]

Correct nothing official yet but where there is smoke....

I think currently they are having a lot of discussion about the last few spots for each conference. Now there may be some discussion going on about the Gator/music city deal but nothing has come out recently.

null

I think it is unlikely that the ACC and B1G will actually

Jul 9, 2013, 5:20 PM

work out a deal where they share time in the Citrus Bowl.

It could happen, but I think this is like a guy getting a back-up date to the prom in case his first choice is busy.

Think Basketball...

Jul 9, 2013, 8:23 AM

Selection Committee. A similar assemble of gentlemen with all major conferences represented will choose four teams to play two rounds, single elimination, with the winner declared champ. Seems they've said something about retired coaches and others who are supposed to know football well, being considered for the selection committee but nothing is etched in stone that I've heard about.

The critical factors for being selected are strength of schedule, wins/losses with conference champions being given special consideration. I got the impression that the polls wouldn't play a part in the selection.

This is a gleaning of information and data and as of yet I've seen nothing published by the BCS. I expect we'll all learn more after the football season is over.

The major bowls will rotate the hosting of the three playoff games and spread the wealth around a bit.

This isn't a comprehensive description of the new system.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Think Basketball...

Jul 9, 2013, 8:54 AM

I don't know about a "poll" exactly but there is some interest in the selection committee members making their process known starting at mid season. This could mean each member will release their possible teams week to week or the could vote to compile a poll of their own.

null

Ok here is how it will work.

Jul 9, 2013, 10:47 AM

In 2014 the College Football playoff will begin. 4 teams will be selected by a selection committee similar to the NCAA basketball tournament. There no hard and fast rule about winning your conference but it will be taken into consideration. The final playoff game will be bid out on a yearly basis to the city/stadium/organization with the highest bid.

The 2 playoff games will rotate between 6 paired bowl games
Sugar/Rose, Orange/Cotton, Peach/Fiesta. The selection committee places teams in all of these bowls not just the top four. The bowl tie-in for the Orange is still in effect so in the year that the Orange hosts the playoff. An ACC team will be placed in one of the other bowls even if the ACC plays in the orange as one of the top 4.

the Highest ranked team from the group of Five will be placed in one of the 6 big bowls. so top eleven is the benchmark we are looking for.

the Orange is the ACC champ or first available ACC team vesus either the SEC, Big Ten, or Notre Dame. ND can play in it 2 times and the SEC and BIG will play in it 3 times each in next 8 years. When the Big plays in the Orange, The ACC #2 will play in the Citrus Bowl. So 3 of the next 8 years the ACC #2 will play SEC #2 in the Citrus and 5 of the next eight years the ACC #2 will play the Big 12 #3 in the Tangerine. Both games are in Orlando.

Here how it could play out in 2014
Rose 1 Clemson vs 4 Oregon
Sugar 2 Texas A&M 3 Oklahoma

ACC Bowls # vs.

Orange ACC 1 v. BIG 3 replacement #9 Miami vs #12 Ohio St.
Citrus ACC 2a SEC3 #15 Florida State vs #14 Georgia
Tangerine ACC 2b B12 3 Vatech v Texas
Belk 3-6 SEC 3-6 Louisville vs Tennesse
Gator/Music 3-6 SEC 3-6 UNC vs LSU
Pinstripe 3-6 B1G 5-7 Pitt vs Penn State
Sun 3-6 Pac 4-5 NC State vs Arizona
Military 3-6 American Syracuse vs Navy
Detroit 7-9 B1G 8-10 ETC
Liberty 7-9 TBD etc
Independence 7-9 TBD etc

The cool thing about having these games in pools rather than a straight up pecking order is that bowls get a chance to stand on their own merit rather that just getting the 7th pick and automatically being a sucky bowl. Also the the match-up get to be hand crafted which would likely mean more exciting match-ups for the fans. Getting to match-up BC, Cuse, Pitt in either NYC or MD versus a Big Ten team will likely bring out a bigger crowd. Since the game is closer versus an opponent they are more likely to care about.

Pitt vs. Mich St or Penn State in NYC (an arranged match-up)will be a bigger better game than BC vs Ole Miss in Jacksonville (according to just straight up pecking order)

There is probably some spelling stuff in here but I'm not proofing it. lol

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Re: Ok here is how it will work.

Jul 9, 2013, 3:11 PM

Military is in the 8-10 tier from the release the other day.

Orange #1
Russel #2
Gator/Music City, Belk, Pinstripe, Sun #3-6
Military, Detroit, TBD, TBD #7-10

Cap One (#2 when B1G is in Orange)

null

Jul 9, 2013, 3:17 PM

Also either you forgot ND or you expect them to fall out of bowl contention in 2014. They will get an ACC bowl bid if they do not make the playoff/orange bowl.

null

Jul 9, 2013, 8:02 PM

ESPN’s Brett McMurphy reports that, beginning in 2014 under a new six-year contract, the Military Bowl will pair teams from the ACC and the American Athletic Conference. McMurphy adds that the bowl will share the third through sixth picks from the AAC, and the seventh through 10th picks from the ACC. Officially, no announcement has been made.

you are correct. They gotta do something about using AAC and ACC in the same sentence.

as far as Notre Dame yes they will take a bowl slot somewhere beneath the Orange. the above was just a scenario.

The information other than the military bowl is accurate as stated.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Four teams enter, one team leaves.***

Jul 9, 2013, 10:52 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Don't worry about it....

Jul 9, 2013, 12:10 PM

The BCS will change it three times befor August 29th...

then we'll never understand it.

This is all great! thanks!***

Jul 9, 2013, 2:46 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2013, 3:01 PM

Alabama and LSU go to NC game if either one only loses to the other.

Outside of that... its a mess. Luckily 2014 brings a new day.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1,362
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic