Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can somebody please explain this
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,160

Can somebody please explain this

Mar 11, 2016, 8:31 AM

I've seen a lot of posts about how BB should be given another year because they were not playing in LJ.

1. What does the venue have to do with the win/loss record?
2. If the thinking is because of recruiting then it is still going to take more than 1 year to see the effects of that. Right?

I don't understand these posts. Anybody care to explain?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: Can somebody please explain this- Yes

Mar 11, 2016, 8:32 AM

I'm sure several here can explain it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can somebody please explain this

Mar 11, 2016, 8:41 AM

I could explain it, but I choose not to.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Playing home games at a venue 40 miles from campus.....

Mar 11, 2016, 8:45 AM

is viewed as a handicap and a bit of a disadvantage that is beyond the control of the coach.

That might be a more valid argument if BB's record at The Well wasn't so much better than his road record.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Playing home games at a venue 40 miles from campus.....

Mar 11, 2016, 8:49 AM

So you're saying it would be a legitimate line of thinking if BB would have done a better job at winning games at the well? I can see that.

However, with that line of thinking, how can Miami fire any football coach?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No....

Mar 11, 2016, 8:53 AM

Clemson only lost four games at The Well all season. It was his road record that was so bad which effectively negates the argument of not playing home game in Littlejohn.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: No....

Mar 11, 2016, 9:03 AM

Ok I see what you are saying now. I honestly don't follow basketball. About the only thing I see on that sport is what is posted here.

I think the practice conditions were more of a handicap

Mar 11, 2016, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Playing home games at a venue 40 miles from campus..... ]

than playing in Greenville.

practicing in Jervey, temporary locker rooms shared with other sports......just no place to really call "home" this seson.

It would be like your family living in a hotel room for a year while your house was being renovated.
Just kind of disjointed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think the practice conditions were more of a handicap

Mar 11, 2016, 9:51 AM

I cant imagine affording mini bar prices. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Having a real home court in basketball is a huge advantage.

Mar 11, 2016, 8:51 AM

Crowd noise would be the biggest factor in LJ being better than the Well as far as gaining more of an advantage because many more students would be able to attend.

That being said, we did very well at the Well the year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Having a real home court in basketball is a huge advantage.

Mar 11, 2016, 8:58 AM

if you have a real basketball team and passionate fans

here's some thoughts on #1

Mar 11, 2016, 8:54 AM

there is no denying there is a big home-court advantage in college basketball*

the argument would be that playing in an off-campus building, 40 miles away, would lead to less of a home-court advantage than playing on campus.

easy to see the reasons why one might think that way: fewer students at the games, unfamiliar arena (not being able to practice where you play), having to 'travel' to every game

so many of the TV commentators have mentioned that the Tigers didn't play at 'home' this year

but IMO a 7-2 conference record at the 'Well' this year chops the legs right off that argument

some interesting thoughts and number-crunching on the home-court advantage:
http://www.allmysportsteamssuck.com/2016/01/21/what-is-home-court-advantage-worth-in-college-basketball/

I agree.

Mar 11, 2016, 9:54 AM

Clemson had a good record at the Well. It was road games that killed the Tigers this year. If Clemson had won two more conference games, the Tigers would have received a 2-day bye. Road losses to FSU, Va. Tech, Ga. Tech, etc. really hurt.

1. Traveling is tiring.

Mar 11, 2016, 9:57 AM

Going back and forth to Greenville added 2 extra hours at least to every "home" game.
2. I dont think we should fire BB after playing in the Well not so much because of 'give Brownell another chance' and more of if we are hiring a young coach/ a coach whose salary will be about the same as BB, then we are hurting our chances of getting one that could be really good. If I was a good young coach, and I saw that a team just fired their coach after having to play all games away and not much fan support... I'll pass and wait for a better opportunity.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,160
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic