Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can anybody explain why our QB doesn't get hit badly?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Can anybody explain why our QB doesn't get hit badly?

Nov 3, 2016, 3:12 PM

Per Jimbo, it sounds like an epidemic that is plaguing the entire college football landscape.

Or is it that we develop a quality OL, and keep our TE and RB in to block when necessary to defend against the rush. What is Jimbo missing (besides his wife)?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think DW4 has underrated escapability.***

Nov 3, 2016, 3:15 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think DW4 has underrated escapability.***

Nov 3, 2016, 3:20 PM

The Surgeon General has determined that hitting a Tiger is hazardous to your health.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

every florida st game i've seen this season,

Nov 3, 2016, 3:58 PM

francois has gotten PUMMELED over and over.
must be their o-line.

ha, they have perfected the art "look-out" blocking***

Nov 3, 2016, 4:13 PM

Re: ha, they have perfected the art "look-out" blocking***

Nov 3, 2016, 6:35 PM

Dang...... I thought I was the only one who knew that term. "Look out! Look out!" was the last thing a QB wanted to hear when I played the game and "look out blockers" were the ones you wanted to take behind the gym for a lesson.

Did you see the shot he took against Auburn on the touchdown

Nov 3, 2016, 4:02 PM

throw to Hunter Renfrow off his back foot? He saw the pressure coming, hung in there. Beautiful throw and catch. Gallman got just enough of part of the rush to give him time. They sent the house on him and he delivered.

I think though that they try and avoid putting him in those situations if they can. More likely, he is part Spiderman, and has a keen ability to escape while keeping his eyes down field. He is a field general.

DW4 recognizes blitzes

Nov 3, 2016, 7:19 PM

If you house blitz him he will burn you most of the time.

Plus most other blitzes he hits the hot route quick.

Its quality O Line and expert QB anticipation and recognition.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can anybody explain why our QB doesn't get hit badly?

Nov 3, 2016, 4:03 PM

I've watched replays and FSU offensive line was awful. They could not block our guys and they knew it. That's why they kept getting procedure penalties because they were trying to be quick on our D linemen. Unless Jimbo vastly improves this on his team he will never see the Championship game again.

Cook's own teammate called him out last week for

Nov 3, 2016, 6:20 PM

being scared to block him in practice. He's not good at it, so Jimbo sends him out on wheel routes and such as a pass receiver and gets his quarterback killed. That's on Jimbo, especially knowing that his offensive line is not that good. It was an internal team PR move to deflect blame and to encourage more favorable calls from the refs so he can continue to do it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish our run blocking would be as good as our pass blocking...

Nov 3, 2016, 6:24 PM

that way we could have avoided the close games.

I disagree.

Nov 3, 2016, 6:27 PM

I think drops and misfires on deep balls have been the reason we haven't scored more. Do those things, and guaranteed the running game opens up more.

With the quarterback and receivers we have, a well honed

Nov 3, 2016, 6:34 PM

passing game will benefit us most in the playoffs. We can run the ball well enough. Alabama is built to stop your running game first and foremost. They recruit the biggest and strongest every year. If we want to beat them we have to spread them out and make those big boys run and cover and wear them down.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you need the passing game to open up the running game all the time..

Nov 3, 2016, 6:40 PM [ in reply to I disagree. ]

that means you don't have good run blocking. Lack of good run blocking is also the reason we don't have a clear number two behind Gallman, because of lack of reps. The misfires on the deep balls have gone away.

The reason we don't have a clear cut number two is because

Nov 3, 2016, 6:59 PM

we don't have a lot of talent outside of the true freshman, and he has much to learn.

Wayne is averaging over 5 yards per carry or 7.2 inches less per carry than last year. Wayne has 49 fewer rushes(down 30%) after 8 games this year than he had last year. He was averaging 17 yards per carry against NC State when he went down. Deshauns rushing numbers are down as well. That is the difference.

The running game is ready and waiting. Deshaun has been off intermittently throwing the ball so far. We are going to be an unstoppable force as our passing efficiency improves.

Yup***

Nov 3, 2016, 10:03 PM

I ddidn't write that.

Nov 3, 2016, 10:02 PM [ in reply to If you need the passing game to open up the running game all the time.. ]

I said we would have better points per game if we didn't drop the ball so much (especially early) and (still) miss many deep balls. If we did that better, it would allow the run game to open up.

Right now people are playing to stop our run game, including Watson, whereas last year people couldn't do that because we threw over the top. Stacking the box makes it harder to run and certainly makes it harder to excel.

Football 101.

By the way, we're averaging 4.5 yds per rush this year. Last year it was 4.9 yds/rush. I think you're making waaay too big of a deal over what amounts to be 14 inches more per rush last year.

Re: I disagree.

Nov 3, 2016, 6:41 PM [ in reply to I disagree. ]

Nope.

I've gone back and looked at a lot of prior games. I originally thought that opponents have been loading the box on us and at times, they do - but not nearly as much as I would have thought based on results in the run game. The truth is that we sometimes can't get leverage to open a crack and when we do, often, we can't hold it or widen it. The only reason we sometimes get good run yardage is because Gallman hits the hole fast and hard before it has time to close. The other backs are too slow to the mesh point and as a result, too slow to the hole. The only argument to me is who should do a better job - and to me, it's the O-line.

4.9 yds/rush in 2015, 4.5 yds/rush in 2016.

Nov 3, 2016, 10:07 PM

That's 14".

I disagree with you. People are definitely working harder to stop the rushing game, ESPECIALLY Watson. Along with that Watson isn't as quick as he was last year, that factors in as well...into the 14"

Re: Can anybody explain why our QB doesn't get hit badly?

Nov 3, 2016, 6:36 PM

His dignity, his pacifier, his desitin, half his paycheck to alimony, his hair and his mama.

Oh yeah I forgot, he's missing the playoff, the conference championship game, the division title and if he loses one more game he'll be missing the top 25 in the rankings.

I might have missed a few thing but I assure you, I'm not missing as much as Jimbo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best left tackle in the nation***

Nov 3, 2016, 6:43 PM

It's a conspiracy.

Nov 3, 2016, 6:43 PM

Everyone is intentionally all out to get Francois and Jimbo Fisher. That's why Jimbo was mad about it.

Wayne Gallman helps ALOT***

Nov 3, 2016, 7:01 PM

His name is Fran Swah

Nov 3, 2016, 7:05 PM

he's been getting hit his whole life

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think our OL has been kind of solid, but...

Nov 3, 2016, 7:15 PM

I know we can be way better. That said, we will never be as bad as this Muschamp Oline. I still love this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcAsDL-YnsI

It's Jimbo's fault. His OL cannot block, they

Nov 3, 2016, 7:19 PM

have proved it over several games now. But he still insists on calling plays that have his QB standing back in the pocket instead of getting rid of the ball quickly. Now, instead of changing the play calling, he wants to change the rules of the game so you can't hit QBs. That way it doesn't matter how bad his OL is.
It's the same thing Saban tried with uptempo offenses. Jimbo learned from the best.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic