Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Campus Update: WATCH: CBS News on Tucker Hipps
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Campus Update: WATCH: CBS News on Tucker Hipps

Sep 25, 2014, 9:17 AM

WATCH: CBS News on Tucker Hipps

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am very disappointed in Clemson's VP for Student Affairs

Sep 25, 2014, 9:44 AM

Gail DiSabatino.

The untimely death of Tucker Hipps is tragic but to use this isolated and completely unrelated incident to overly scrutnize all of Clemson's Greek letter organizations is deplorable and completely unmerited.

Gail DiSabatino has long been accused of being anti-Greek. The unprecedented knee-jerk decision to order all Greek letter organizations to cut short their pledge processes or face censure from the University certainly seems to support that contention.

If hazing is a problem; address it at the source, but taking the juggernaut approach where a fraternity’s future depends on whether or not someone has their feeling hurt to any degree is absurd. Proceeding to punish everyone for the actions of a few is even worse.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I have never gotten it.

Sep 25, 2014, 9:59 AM

I went into the Navy out of HS and then went to college and never saw the usefulness of frats. My best friend at Clemson was Sigma Chi, and I hung out with them a lot, but never saw the need for it.

Every time you hear about a fraternity it is usually associated with something negative that brings bad press for the university. Not saying they do not do anything good, but when a fraternity is in the national news, it is not for a soup kitchen they started.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's because the media ONLY reports the negative news***

Sep 25, 2014, 10:06 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's because the media ONLY reports the negative news***

Sep 25, 2014, 10:28 AM

so tell us what you think they do that is useful and not what you THINK the media is doing! imo they are nothing but social clubs that try to separate themselves for their own benefit. we all know they haze for initiations and if you try to deny that you are not being honest with yourself. do they get out of line? that is the question that is being investigated. should it be questioned because of a death or injury? absolutely! why do think many have been banned or sanctioned?

You were obviously not part of a Greek letter organization..

Sep 25, 2014, 10:51 AM

because I can tell you that I am not aware of any fraternity or sorority that hazes as part of its actual "initiation".

In fact, the actual initiations or "rituals" which are unique to each organization are quite meaningful and symbolic often requiring the candidates to, among other things; maintain the highest personal, moral, and scholastic standards at all times, abide by a strict code of conduct defined by its National organization, and abide by federal, state and college regulations.

I'm not implying that hazing doesn't take place during some of the pledge process and when it does occur, there should be strong repercussions for those involved but you don't punish an entire group because of the actions of a limited few.

Re: That's because the media ONLY reports the negative news***

Sep 25, 2014, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Re: That's because the media ONLY reports the negative news*** ]

Greek letter organizations do more hours of charity work per year than any other such group of affiliated organizations.

Ask any local charity in Clemson how they feel about greek life and how negatively it would impact them to lose the volunteer hours and donations they get from greek letter organizations.

Dude, bros will take you with your C-average Business Admin

Sep 25, 2014, 10:08 AM [ in reply to I have never gotten it. ]

degree and hook you up with a most excellent job. You can play golf as much as you want and have a closet full of Vineyard Vines/Southern Tide/Southern Pointe overpriced shirts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Dude, bros will take you with your C-average Business Admin

Sep 25, 2014, 10:14 AM

Members of a Fraternity at Clemson have a higher average GPA than those who aren't in a Fraternity

Clemson University Class of 2015

frats have great test files..at least in early 80's.

Sep 25, 2014, 10:41 AM

but they certainly aren't all irresponsible, spoiled rich kids..conversely, stats are stats..a statistically significant higher percentage of alcohol-fueled bad incidents from frat members.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

You should have a higher average...

Sep 25, 2014, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Dude, bros will take you with your C-average Business Admin ]

when your fraternity keeps tests on file from nearly every major. You want names of fraternities who do this or you just want to keep thumping your vineyard vines chest?

Re: You should have a higher average...

Sep 25, 2014, 11:22 AM

This isn't the 1980's. The University has its own online test bank anyone is free to look at. Teachers also put their previous exams online for students view before they take their test. Fraternities and sororities also contribute more than any other organizations to philanthropies. As for the alcohol violations, when many of T-net posters where at Clemson these actions wouldn't be considered a violation, and underage drinking would be a non-issue.

Clemson University Class of 2015

Since when are test banks illegal?

Sep 25, 2014, 11:28 AM [ in reply to You should have a higher average... ]

Any student organization could pool its resources and save old tests. Several club sports teams and other clubs have test banks as well.

I nor Son belonged @ CU but he did @ UGaLaw and

Sep 25, 2014, 10:23 AM [ in reply to I have never gotten it. ]

I never heard what he/they did as a group.

While @ game together @ Chapel Hill he dropped by his order to say hello, check out their beautiful 2-story mansion (full of oriental rugs on hardwoods) & to down a cool bruskie (I suspect).

I do feel that some fraternities party & drink tOO much..or appear to when seen having their private fun gatherings on campus during football games.

GoTiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have never gotten it.

Sep 25, 2014, 3:17 PM [ in reply to I have never gotten it. ]

And you never will.

My frat was fighting for my country, maybe you've heard of

Sep 28, 2014, 11:43 PM

it. Veteran, you may not understand, but THAT is a brotherhood. You pay with lives and blood, not momma and daddies money.

She's always had it out for the fraternities

Sep 25, 2014, 10:07 AM [ in reply to I am very disappointed in Clemson's VP for Student Affairs ]

Not saying that some scrutiny isn't warranted here, but I remember IFC's difficulties with her back when I was in school.

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

She crippled the Georgia Tech greek system

Sep 25, 2014, 11:11 AM

and came here to do the same.

Re: I am very disappointed in Clemson's VP for Student Affairs

Sep 25, 2014, 1:25 PM [ in reply to I am very disappointed in Clemson's VP for Student Affairs ]

Punishing all fraternities means that they will regulate themselves. Football teams do it all the time.
Dabo did it the Lakip in practice this week .... if he missed a FG the entire team would run wind sprints.
Strong at Texas did it this year, if a player misses a class he runs, if he misses a second the position group runs, misses a third his coach has to run with the position group....

Re: I am very disappointed in Clemson's VP for Student Affairs

Sep 25, 2014, 2:13 PM [ in reply to I am very disappointed in Clemson's VP for Student Affairs ]

I completely agree. Bad timing at the very least. Bringing this negative national attention to Clemson during the time of this tragic death when all indications are that it was completely unrelated to hazing only hurts Clemson when the Clemson family is already in pain. Deal with the fraternity issues without the national spotlight as I'm sure Clemson's greek system is certainly no worse than most schools.

Graduated CU in 1990

Sep 25, 2014, 1:42 PM

Never would have met my best friend or my wife if I had not pledged the fraternity that I did.

Best friend for going on 30 years, and still married to my wife after 18+.

Fraternities, like anything, are largely what you make of them.

Re: Graduated CU in 1990

Sep 26, 2014, 11:24 AM

A lot of people on here would say you paid for your best friend and wife. (I'm not one of them)

But even if so I bet you'd say they were worth every penny.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic