Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Campus Update: Pic: 9/11 Tribute on Clemson campus
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Campus Update: Pic: 9/11 Tribute on Clemson campus

Sep 11, 2013, 10:13 AM

Pic: 9/11 Tribute on Clemson campus

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I appreciate the sentiment and desire to

Sep 11, 2013, 10:43 AM

remember the fallen, why depict the event itself and not simply remember those who lost their lives? The plane graphic seems a bit much for me...

I'm going to assume the best and think it is there

Sep 11, 2013, 10:45 AM

for those on Flight 93 and not showing the plane crashing into the towers...maybe they should have just pointed it differently...

You're right - I had to look again but each part is symbolic

Sep 11, 2013, 10:52 AM

The top part of the 9 forms a pentagon, then you have the Flight 93 aircraft at the base of the numbers (on the ground, so to speak), and the WTC towers. Just kind of hard to discern from the angle the pic was taken.

Cool tribute.

I agree, but remember that most freshmen on campus

Sep 11, 2013, 12:11 PM [ in reply to While I appreciate the sentiment and desire to ]

were in 1st grade when 9/11 happened... their memories of the event probably aren't as graphic as yours or mine. The whole thing is more symbolic for a lot of them.

1st grade. I'm feeling old now***

Sep 11, 2013, 2:12 PM

Now THIS is HD at its finest!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Also worth pointing out that the plane silhouette might be

Sep 11, 2013, 5:10 PM [ in reply to I agree, but remember that most freshmen on campus ]

in memoriam of those who gave their lives to stop United 93.

Proud legacy

Sep 11, 2013, 5:17 PM [ in reply to While I appreciate the sentiment and desire to ]

I organized this memorial my freshman year four years ago, through the "Tiger Town Observer" student newspaper. I'm happy to see this continuing the year after I graduate.

We've always heard mixed reactions to the design of the memorial, including the point you raise. The memorial is symbolic, comprised of 2,977 American flags representing the lives lost in the attacks. Some complain about the plane graphic appearing to run into the tower. I can understand this complaint; however, it is meant to represent the dash in the date. Since we read left to right, it looks awkward to have the plane face to the left.

So the top of the 9 represents the pentagon, the plane as the dash Flight 93, and the two 1s the two towers. As you can see this year, those who set it up decided to place the plane below and add a separate, regular dash.

May be a dove, rather than a plane.***

Nov 13, 2017, 3:12 PM [ in reply to While I appreciate the sentiment and desire to ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It represents the Pennsylvania crash.***

Sep 24, 2013, 2:46 PM [ in reply to While I appreciate the sentiment and desire to ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic