Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Decided to go all fanboy and got the $1099 iPhone.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 232

Decided to go all fanboy and got the $1099 iPhone.

Sep 24, 2018, 10:14 AM

Dew recommend.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I cringed when I dropped $700 on my last one.

Sep 24, 2018, 10:16 AM

4 figures? Oy. Just don't know if I can.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I did the lease since work pays for. I couldn't imagine

Sep 24, 2018, 10:18 AM

going straight cash on it homie.

It really depends on how much you use it I think.

Sep 24, 2018, 10:27 AM [ in reply to I cringed when I dropped $700 on my last one. ]

They're justifiably a laptop at this point. I don't have a personal laptop anymore, I have my desktop, my work laptop - that I pretty much only use exclusively for work, and my phone. I do have an older Surface Pro that I use occasionally whenever I want more access to Microsoft Office or typing longer e-mails (which I tend to use my desktop or work laptop for).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

What's the resale on those? I got the X last year, and it's

Sep 24, 2018, 10:21 AM

a great phone, best I've owned, and easily the most 'spensive. I looked up resale prices in a one-click quick and dirty on my phone and saw something like $900. If that's the case, and I could get mine unlocked, why wouldn't I just sell it and grab a new one? I'd be eternally paying $30 or $35/month for a phone (plus the plan), but it's not like I wouldn't be getting a new one in 3 years anyway.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I read somewhere it's only a marginal upgrade from the X.

Sep 24, 2018, 10:24 AM

I'm considering pulling the trigger on my 7 Plus, mostly for the camera.

But if you can resell the X for the $900, it might be an easy thing to do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah I upgraded to it from the 8 Plus and its a huge

Sep 24, 2018, 10:28 AM

improvement. I get an upgrade every year though.

I have no idea if that $900 figure is real or not,

Sep 24, 2018, 10:29 AM [ in reply to I read somewhere it's only a marginal upgrade from the X. ]

what/where the market is, or if AT&T would even unlock my phone. But I'll tell you this much: face ID is about eleventy times better than the thumbprint home button, and you won't ever look back, except to wonder how you spent most of a decade using a thumb to unlock a phone (and pay for things and log into apps and everything else). You should definitely upgrade.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That helps calms my nerves about it actually. I am wondering

Sep 24, 2018, 10:32 AM

how easy it is to get rid of it, I like using the Touch ID. It would be awesome to be able to use my phone after a workout though because Touch ID doesn't like incredibly sweaty fingers.

Do you get use to the swiping mechanics to return to the home easily enough?

Yeah, the learning curve on it is around 2-3 minutes.

Sep 24, 2018, 10:34 AM

Same deal with the Touch ID on the last one with mine. It never worked smoothly with greasy, sweaty or dirty fangerz.

Took about a week, maybe a little less,

Sep 24, 2018, 10:35 AM [ in reply to That helps calms my nerves about it actually. I am wondering ]

before it's second nature. Closing apps takes a fraction of a second longer because you have to long-press to get the red minus sign (rather than just swiping the whole app upwards). Other than that, everything is faster and smoother.

The only app I really force close is Snapchat, and that's

Sep 24, 2018, 10:58 AM

because it's a battery sucking fiend.

Is this where I complain about how shitty's iOS 12's redesign of Facetime is? It takes 5 ####### touches to flip the ####### camera, and during that you're bringing up a menu that covers the whole screen and you cannot see if the camera actually flipped.

Also the messages app with the inserting recent photos now requires you to keep that app bar open, which is beyond ####### stupid and annoying.

Steve Jobs would've never had these kind of ###### GUI issues.

I upgraded from the 7 Plus, to the Xs Max - do recommend

Sep 24, 2018, 10:52 AM [ in reply to I read somewhere it's only a marginal upgrade from the X. ]

Faster, bigger screen, Face ID is so much better than the home button...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Camera ain't half bad, either***

Sep 24, 2018, 10:55 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I get yours is a work deal, so no point in not upgrading

Sep 24, 2018, 10:27 AM

However, for those regular folk, what's the incentive to upgrade? Maybe more storage? I've had three iPhones over the course of 6 or 7 years, and none is appreciably different or better than the others. I did go with the bigger one when they came out, but functionally they are the same.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The camera. Not a huge upgrade between X and the new one.

Sep 24, 2018, 10:30 AM

But it's been a relatively significant upgrade between every iteration of iPhones when it comes to the camera.

My 7 Plus' camera surpassed my point and shoot and I use it now whenever I take work photos, plus it's so much faster than my point and shoot - considering I'll take several hundred pictures on a site visit.

The processor and gpu are also iterative updates. You might not find them noticeable until you side-by-side compare them.

I was skeptical about the Face unlock, but it's pretty

Sep 24, 2018, 10:32 AM [ in reply to I get yours is a work deal, so no point in not upgrading ]

slick. The camera is awesome, glass is supposedly more durable (but everyone cases anyway so who cares?), IP68 water resistance is nice to have, and the battery lasts for a full day +.

It's marginally better than an X, but a noticable improvement from the 6,7 and 8.

I was nervous about the loss of home button

Sep 24, 2018, 10:36 AM

and the headphone jack. Already over both. Face ID is awesome. Memoji made the cost of the phone completely worth it. Ellie's instagram is going to have SO many photos in portrait mode.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

The lack of a headphone jack still pisses me off***

Sep 24, 2018, 10:41 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As an audio guy, yes this is super annoying.

Sep 24, 2018, 10:45 AM

However, I'm usually using an iPad when running sound, bluetooth when in my car, or an echo dot when at home.

#donglelife kinda sucks

DonG Le Life?

Sep 24, 2018, 10:48 AM

sup?

I think my annoyance with the lack of headphone jack is

Sep 24, 2018, 11:00 AM [ in reply to I was nervous about the loss of home button ]

I no longer carry headphones with a 3.5mm jack - I carry wireless ear buds and the lightning connected headphones. So in instances where I want headphones like in a plane this past weekend, I'm SOL because I stopped carrying them.

honest kweshun from Android fan

Sep 24, 2018, 10:37 AM [ in reply to I was skeptical about the Face unlock, but it's pretty ]

what's the 'big deal' w/ the Face ID?? my 2013 moto x (and every android phone i've had since then) could unlock (and do other things) by 'looking at you'.

Other than mimicking your face to look like a cartoon, what else do it do?

Not sure if Android's using the same type of tech on it

Sep 24, 2018, 10:42 AM

now, but it uses IR instead of a traditional camera for it. It's too quick to even notice it working, as in hit the screen on button and swipe up and it's unlocked.

Android to my knowledge uses facial recognition cameras, and you need to be in a bright enough area for it to work.

When I had a Note 3, it had the facial recognition, but it wasn't considered secure.

I can't see many instances when I'd rather use my face

Sep 24, 2018, 11:08 AM

than my finger print.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought the same. It's much quicker.***

Sep 24, 2018, 11:30 AM

My neighbor has a twin sister.

Sep 24, 2018, 12:00 PM [ in reply to I was skeptical about the Face unlock, but it's pretty ]

Her sister can unlock her iphone with the facial recognition.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anecdotally.***

Sep 24, 2018, 12:01 PM

Okay poor boi

Sep 24, 2018, 10:32 AM

I got the 256 iphone for a smooth $1149.00

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

That's like half the cost of a new

Sep 24, 2018, 10:41 AM

iPhridge.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^LDR^^^

Sep 24, 2018, 11:11 AM

Stoopid, but LDR.

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Replies: 30
| visibility 232
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic