Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cam and other political aficionados
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 314

Cam and other political aficionados

Sep 3, 2015, 3:11 PM

What is the general consensus among establishment Republicans regarding Ben Carson's legitimacy as a candidate?

He is now beating Donald Trump head-to-head in national polls (by a lot), the only candidate to really come close.

Would the party rally around an unknown like Carson to spare itself from Trump, or will they continue to push an (probably futile) effort to get an establishment candidate in?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snarky response followed up by serious answer

Sep 3, 2015, 3:30 PM

Snark: Well, just wait until the Bush family calls in their CIA hit party to get things going in the right direction.

Serious: I will not be surprised if they take the latter. The powers that be want the establishment candidate. Carson is still too much of a wildcard for them, IMO, in the sense that he hasn't been running with the good ole boy crowd.

My completely baseless prediction with no evidence to support: the establishment GOP hitches itself to one candidate and quietly tries to outspend the crap out of Carson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

I don't think most think he's ready

Sep 3, 2015, 3:42 PM

He's much preferred to Trump, because he's at least serious and admirable. The problem is that, for as smart as the guy is supposed to be (and is... within his field), he comes off as a demagogue when talking policy. I, and a few other people I've read, would probably prefer that he run for a lower office- like Mayor of Baltimore- before running for president. But I don't think there'd be a push for a third party candidate like there would be if Trump somehow were nominated (and he won't be).

However, despite current polling, don't forget that Republicans have tended to nominate more moderate (or, at least more moderate sounding) candidates than Democrats have. The loudmouths and the oddballs get more attention at the beginning of things, but when it comes to get serious and whittle the candidates down, there are usually enough people against the loudmouths and oddballs to unite behind a better candidate.

This year, I don't think that necessarily means we're going to get a moderate, since most of the so-called "establishment" candidates (Rubio, Walker, Cruz, Fiorina [I call her "establishment" because she was the pick of the Republican Party in California to run for a previous office], Jindal) are actually pretty conservative. The three more moderate candidates- Bush (who I'm not really sure is all that moderate), Christie, and Kasich- don't actually seem to have much going for them right now. Bush is really sharp, but he can't win because of Bush Fatigue. Christie has squandered whatever momentum he had. Not enough people know who Kasich is, and I don't think he'll appeal to the base much.

In the end, I'll be kind of surprised if it's anybody other than Rubio, Walker, Cruz, or Fiorina. But I suppose I could also see formerly more popular people like Christie, Jindal, Perry, or Paul getting a bump from something.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kasich may not have a shot at the nomination, but wouldn't

Sep 3, 2015, 4:05 PM

having him on the ticket help with Ohio, which will be crucial, if not the deciding factor?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Might go well with Rubio

Sep 3, 2015, 4:24 PM

That pairing would help in Florida and Ohio, and would pair a younger more charismatic and conservative guy with an older, more experienced and moderate guy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've said all along some combination of Bush/Rubio/

Sep 3, 2015, 5:12 PM

Walker/Kasich. Walker doesn't exactly fit into the Florida/Ohio thing, but may have more steam than any of them down the stretch. Either way getting Florida AND Ohio would pretty much sew it up, and this nomination/running mate selection may be the most strategically based in a long time.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

JEB's not unpopular because of Bush fatigue.

Sep 3, 2015, 4:32 PM [ in reply to I don't think most think he's ready ]

He's been a gaffe machine and thus far hasn't stood out in any other way.

I haven't heard of any gaffes from him

Sep 3, 2015, 5:19 PM

And the only reason he hasn't stood out is because he's not a fiery guy. Really, though, none of the candidates can match Trump's showmanship (and none should try to), so they're not going to be able to stand out. Where Bush has stood out is in taking on Trump, and I think that combined with the perception that he's a moderate is further painting him into the "establishment" box that's so unpopular right now.

I can tell you that if he's supposedly had a bunch of gaffes, they're not really reaching the people voting in the Republican primaries.

Re: I haven't heard of any gaffes from him

Sep 3, 2015, 5:57 PM

In July, he said that “people need to work longer hours” as part of an economic recovery. Then he said his remarks had been misinterpreted.

A couple of weeks later he said “we need to figure out a way to phase out” Medicare. Then he complained that critics were taking his remarks out of context.

A week or so after that, he proclaimed that “I’m not sure we need half a billion dollars for women’s health issues.” Then he said he misspoke.

That controversy hadn’t died down when he started another by using the term “anchor babies” to describe the children of immigrants — and before long he was complaining that people were misconstruing these remarks, too.

Add to this the four different answers he struggled to give during a single week this spring about whether he would have invaded Iraq, and it’s quite possible that no other person who aspires to occupy the bully pulpit has himself been bullied quite so much by the English language.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/jeb-bushs-foot-in-mouth-problem/2015/08/28/b87c780c-4d80-11e5-902f-39e9219e574b_story.html

Admittedly most Republicans probably don't understand what's wrong with the term "anchor babies."

Replies: 8
| visibility 314
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic