Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Calvados and Combat Boots
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1,512

Calvados and Combat Boots

Jun 8, 2018, 4:45 PM

Near our camp during WW2 was a French family we (Spoon, Bali, Pollock and Rebel) had befriended. The husband had worked for the railroad before the war but had not yet been recalled. He picked up odd jobs and his wife did our laundry. From time to time our mess crew would give us some items to donate to the family for which they were most appreciative.

One day the husband invited the four of us to dinner at his home. Knowing food was a problem, we decided to eat sparingly and to take them some items from our mess crew. On the appointed evening, we left camp and walked the two miles to their home. We met his delightful wife and his two beautiful daughters, about 10 and 12 years of age. At first, the two daughters were very shy but after a few minutes it was like older brothers and younger sisters. Both girls were studying English in school so we helped them with their English plus teaching them a bit of our slang.

The dinner was some of the best food we had eaten in a long time but we declined extra servings so as not to deprive them of "leftovers". After the meal, we were sitting at the dining table enjoying conversation when the Father arose and excused himself. In a few minutes he returned with a magnum of what I thought was wine. He announced that this was a special occasion and he wanted to share a bottle of Calvados. The four of us knew nothing about Calvados, thinking it was some sort of special wine. When he began filling large glasses I felt sure it must be some low alcohol content beverage. My first "gulp" proved my assumption was completely wrong. That was a high potency alcoholic beverage and I knew there was no way old Joe21 could handle that huge glass of Calvados and make it back to camp.

Rather than confess to our host I could not drink that huge serving, I devised a way to sip a little and dispose of the rest. The logical place was to pour the extra in my combat boots. Those Army combat boots were noted for one thing, they were waterproof. The only way to get a liquid in was to pour it in at the top. I pretended to scratch my leg and would pour some Calvados in my right boot. But, I made a tactical error. My glass was completely empty while the others still had some in their glasses. The host insisted over my muted objections to refill my glass. There was little room left in my right boot for more Calvados so I developed an itch in my left leg. This time I closely watched the others so I would not be offered the third glass.

It was finally time to thank our hosts for a wonerful evening and we said our "goodbyes". When we were out of sight of our host's home I told my buddies I had to sit down and pour Calvados out of my boots. They were wondering how I had drunk two glasses to their one and was still sober. Then I told them of my little trick. After pouring the Calvados out of my boots, I wrung out my socks. It looked and felt like that entire magnum had gone into my boots.

We walked back to our camp with my feet still "sloshing" with every step I took Our only footwear was our combat boots and mine didn't dry out until about four or five days later. The Calvados aroma lasterd for a few more days. I made up my mind at that time that I would add Calvados to my list of things I would never knowingly partake of the rest of my life. The other item was SPAM. And for the last 73 years I have ingested neither one.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Calvados and Combat Boots

Jun 8, 2018, 6:06 PM
Calvados.jpg(54.4 K)

Joe, the bottle is from an apple orchard on the road midway of Omaha Beach and Pointe du Hoc. The orchard has been (presumably still is) in the owner's family since the 10th century. German officers stayed there pre D-Day...Allied afterwards...a bit of an oasis (or watering hole?). The owner said officers from both sides would return frequently to visit...chat with one another. I guess as the saying goes, soldiers are soldiers.

I got the bottle Christmas weekend of 2000...still have half. That stuff is very smooth...and it is strong, as you note.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2018, 7:29 PM

Salty, a lot of the people called it "Applejack" but it was in no way akin to the Applejack I knew. As you state, it came from the Normandy area. Sometimes it was fortified to boost the alcohol content. I don't know the alcohol content of what we had but it was potent. After that episode, when discussing Calvados with others, everyone remarked about it's potency.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2018, 8:42 PM

Thanks for the story Joe. The millennials of today would never understand the struggles that young men like yourself endured in the name of Freedom in the great USA. I wish we could miraculously instill the same pride for America in the younger generations of today. We would be much better off and the mass shootings would diminish substantially!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1,512
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic