Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Calling quozzel. Here’s why polls matter imo
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Calling quozzel. Here’s why polls matter imo

Oct 27, 2019, 6:31 PM

Several national media outlets pick up on the narrative and the facts are just plain wrong. Put up a graphic about Dabo Ed O and little Nikki.
Dabo was in 3rd with 6-1 record over top ten teams with Ed and Nikki tied at top with 9-3 records over top ten teams. Totally misleading because Dabo’s record is against teams that finished in the top ten. Ed and Nikki record was teams in the top ten when played... neither is close to Dabo on the record for teams that finished top ten after the season.

Yes 2 of 3 nattys is all that matters as well as the CFP poll. It just grinds me the National media that the casual person hears it disrespectful to my Tigers.

As for quozzel, I just like his weekend take on whatever subject... not necessarily this one.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Calling quozzel. Here’s why polls matter imo

Oct 27, 2019, 6:37 PM

If we win long enough, the denial will stop, and we will be accepted as an upper crust team. They'd rather not have another team to look up to in the pantheon of top teams, so other fan bases deny that we are there. If we do it long enough, we will be accepted.

How long is long enough? Good question. Not sure I know the answer to that.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2019, 7:39 PM

Very well explained. Thank you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Polls (and media narrative) DO matter

Oct 27, 2019, 6:40 PM

to the degree they influence CFP committee members. We tell ourselves the CFP doesn'y pay attention to polls and and the ESPN/media narrative because they use a different set of criteria that emphasizes conference championships and winning and discounts margin of victory and other "style point" factors. I believe, however, that the CFP members are human, and are subject to some degree to the non-stop media narrative that is reinforced by the polls. If however, the CFP committee is totally immune from the nonsense, and sticks strictly to their guidlines, we will be okay if we win out.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Except those polls DON'T matter

Oct 27, 2019, 6:45 PM

The college football playoff committee poll is the only one that matters and is unbiased. All they care about is your resume.

In 2015 we were #3 in the AP the week the first CFP Poll came out with Clemson #1.

And if the committee met today to rank their first poll, we would be and should be #4. LSU Ohio State and Alabama have better resumes as of 10/27. Don't be mad it's not a knock on us, be reasonable - like when the shoe was on the other foot in 2015

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Oct 27, 2019, 6:55 PM

They obviously don’t math either. 6-1 (86%) is a better winning percentage than 9-3 (75%).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not to mention he's 20 years younger than them...***

Oct 27, 2019, 7:10 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2019, 7:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Calling quozzel. Here’s why polls matter imo ]

My point exactly!

We'll know next week***

Oct 27, 2019, 7:07 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Oct 27, 2019, 7:11 PM

Polls only matter for those teams who do not finish 15-0.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic