Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Calling out people who sell tickets to scalpers.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 101

Calling out people who sell tickets to scalpers.

Sep 23, 2015, 11:11 AM

I've heard a lot on the radio about not selling to Notre Dame fans and I thought I would bring this up. I want to know who the idiots are that sell their tickets to scalpers? I understand supply and demand and all that crap but seriously why not just sell directly to other fans. I know the scalpers are not going to pay you more than a regular person would. So I just don't get it. Also these scalpers are now resorting to outright crime... at the app st. game my brother bought four tickets from a scalper(because he couldn't find a regular fan selling them) and once he got to the gate to get in two of the four tickets had already been scanned. They are apparently getting someone on the inside to hand them used tickets through the fence and reselling these as well. The ticket takers act like it happens all the time. I was hoping someone could explain how these scalpers are able to buy legit tickets from Clemson fans anyways. Oh anyway I see selling to scalpers as worse than selling to opposing fans. Is there not any laws that prohibit this activity? I remember being at a coot game about 10 years ago and seeing scalpers being arrested..?But maybe they were doing something else illegal. If the Clemson is going to allow scalping they should at least facilitate the sales as well by letting the transaction take place after the tickets are scanned and found to be good. (my bro tried this and a police officer told him they would have to do the exchange away from the gate. Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Calling out people who sell tickets to scalpers.

Sep 23, 2015, 11:18 AM

Yep. In SC, it's illegal to sell tickets to sporting events for more than $1 above face value, whether near the venue, online, whatever.

In essence, all the ads in the ticket section of this site, all the ads on craislist, stubhub, etc. are attempts to commit crime.

Enforcing such a law is darn near impossible, though.

I'm not sure how the whole ticket scalping process works....

Sep 23, 2015, 11:24 AM

nor do i defend the ticket scalpers

however

i knew a few people last game that had extra tickets that spent a good amount of time trying to sell them (holding them up in various places, etc.....) and didn't even get interest (now granted it was the app state game, but still zero interest)...............these people saw a scalper asking for extra tickets about 30 minutes prior to kickoff and they were able to get $30 for 2 tickets..........not much, but better than nothing.

I had 2 tickets that i tried to sell........had no luck (didn't go to scalper) they went unused (had to eat that cost)

i'm sure the dynamic is much different for a "real game" but there are instances where people can't give em away and if a scalper is willing to pay something when nobody else will.........more power to em

jmo

Im curious as to where you guys where standing?

Sep 23, 2015, 11:28 AM

It was odd but this past home game there were not many real fans selling tickets... We started looking about 20 mins before kickoff and only really saw 1 or 2 normal people selling and they had less tickets than what we needed. Then we see scalpers with like 15 tickets lol it's a crazy dynamic that the ticket market outside the stadium changes week to week and sometimes the change doesn't coincide with the quality of the opponent.

mainly the north stand corners......but.........

Sep 23, 2015, 11:34 AM

we don't really ever have extras so we don't know the "hot spots" either.......at that point i was willing to give them away

You talking about the ticket office?***

Sep 23, 2015, 11:28 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No I am talking about the actual gate that scans the tickets***

Sep 23, 2015, 11:33 AM

Re: Calling out IPTAY

Sep 23, 2015, 11:56 AM

I agree that this ticket thing is getting out of hand. Iptay folks please use your tickets or buy less seats if you going to sell them. Same with the parking passes. I buy 8 tix and use them or give or sell at face to friends. I know it is a free market but we should not use your privileges to rip people off. I wish Iptay would consider a plan to take seats away from folks that ask these ridiculous prices . It has really gotten crazy and does nothing good for Clemson or the fan base.

Make your money some other way or quit IPTAY.

And the scalpers around the stadium are the worse I have ever seen in 40 years. A very creepy element and needs to be cleaned up. A few busts (scalping Law enforcement) would be great.

South Carolina Code

TITLE 16 CRIMES AND OFFENSES
CHAPTER 17 OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC POLICY
ARTICLE 7 MISCELLANEOUS OFFENSES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Previous Document in Book] [Next Document in Book]

§ 16>-<17>-<710. Selling tickets to athletic contest, sporting, entertainment
or amusement event for more than prescribed amount.

(1) It shall be unlawful to sell or offer for sale any ticket good for
admission to any athletic contest, sporting, entertainment or amusement
event where an admission price is charged, and request or receive a price
in excess of one dollar of the price charged by the original seller.

(2) Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be deemed
guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined not more than
one hundred dollars or be imprisoned for not more than thirty days.

The sale or offer for sale of each ticket shall constitute a separate
offense.

HISTORY: 1962 Code § 16-575; 1968 (55) 2692; 1977 Act No. 64.

Re: Calling out IPTAY

Sep 23, 2015, 1:10 PM

Current version of law:

SECTION 16-17-710. Resale of ticket to event; price restriction; exceptions; penalties.

(A) A person or entity who offers for resale or resells a ticket for admission to an event must request or receive no more than one dollar above the price charged by the original ticket seller.

(B) This section does not apply to an open market event ticket offered for resale through an internet website or at a permitted physical location when the person or entity reselling the ticket guarantees to the ticket buyer a full refund of the amount paid for the ticket if:

(1) the event is cancelled, except that ticket delivery and processing charges are not required to be refunded if disclosed in the guarantee;

(2) the buyer is denied admission to the event, unless the denial is due to the act or omission of the buyer; or

(3) the ticket is not delivered to the buyer and the failure results in the buyer's inability to use the ticket to attend the event.

(C) For purposes of this section, the term "open market event ticket" means a ticket to an event other than an event sponsored by or taking place at a venue owned by an institution of higher education. An institution of higher education may designate a ticket as an open market event ticket if the institution approves the resale of the ticket prior to the initial sale or delivery of the ticket and issues a public statement or notice authorizing the resale of the ticket.

(D) For purposes of this section, the term "permitted physical location" is a physical geographic location that is either:

(1) on property not owned by the owner of the venue of the ticketed event or on public property even if the property is the venue of the ticketed event subject to reasonable restrictions or conditions imposed by the owner to protect the safety and welfare of attendees of the ticketed event; or

(2) on private property owned by the owner of the venue of the ticketed event if the owner expressly authorizes in writing such resales to occur on the property. The owner may provide specific locations on the property for resales to occur and provide for any conditions for resales on the property.

(E) A person or entity who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than one hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than thirty days.

(F) The resale or offer for resale of each ticket constitutes a separate offense.

HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 16-575; 1968 (55) 2692; 1977 Act No. 64; 2006 Act No. 367, Section 2, eff June 9, 2006.

StubHub is the official Fan-to-Fan marketplace of Clemson Athletics ***

Sep 23, 2015, 1:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Replies: 9
| visibility 101
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic