Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Calling all Clemson Baseball GURUS
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Calling all Clemson Baseball GURUS

Feb 10, 2020, 10:03 PM

What’s the latest you have heard about the team? I know the bats are young and not as much power, but what else? I also know that Sharpe, Clark, Strider, and Weatherly are all fighting for the three weekend starts, but what else? I would really appreciate any in-depth breakdowns

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Calling all Clemson Baseball GURUS

Feb 10, 2020, 10:13 PM

I personally believe that this year’s Clemson baseball team is going to blow expectations out of the water. I have attended many of the preseason scrimmages and here are some of my observations:
- Sam Weatherly looks extremely impressive. Not only has his velocity increased, his accuracy has increased.
- Davis Sharpe looks stronger than last season and Mat Clark appears to be an ace caliber pitcher.
- This team is going to play A LOT of small ball. Expect bunts for hits and consistently moving runners over. I don’t expect as many 4+ run innings compared to last season but I expect more consistent scoring.
- Between Kier, Bryce, and Bo, our outfield is pretty stacked.
- Sam Hall appears to be our shortstop this season and his superior athleticism shows.

Go Tigers!!!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2020, 10:25 PM

Excellent breakdown.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2020, 11:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Calling all Clemson Baseball GURUS ]

I will believe it when I see it sorry to seem so jadded but I have heard that song and dance before this years team needs to prove something to me before I belive them again. I have been burnt to many times in the past and it has just worn me down. Love Clemson and love baseball but it is nothing like it used to be in the 90s-2000s. Go Tigers and prove me wrong would love nothing more than to be wrong

Sounds promising...ready to see some small ball (not all

Feb 11, 2020, 9:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Calling all Clemson Baseball GURUS ]

small ball) but situational hitting instead of the jack it outta the park mentality...but I'm old school. Excited for the season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2020, 10:35 PM

Totally agree with his analogy. Ask Sketta56, Horry, Marshall, cbad etc. And a ton others that know our baseball program.

Would be shocked if this is not Monte Lee's best team. The only thing that's held us back in the last few years is pitching depth. Unfortunately we've lost a couple arms and what we thought would be a good player got tossed from the team. But still think this will be his best rotation. And we'll see who develops as our closer.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2020, 10:42 PM

spiers is the closer

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2020, 10:46 PM

Thanks. Couldn't remember if he was back or not. And yes, deroberts good for baseball knowledge too.

i still contend our pitching depth . . .

Feb 10, 2020, 11:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Calling all Clemson Baseball GURUS ]

will get an huge boost from our Freshmen arms . . . It would not surprise me if we didn't have one . . . OR . . . two "Sharpes" in this cupboard!!!!!!!

Anglin??? Brock??? Starbucks??? Raffield??? Gilbert??? Hoffmann??? Labriola??? Ammons??? Clayton???

Take your pick . . . Some will shine out of this group THIS YEAR!!!!!!!

https://clemsontigers.com/sports/baseball/roster/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i still contend our pitching depth . . .

Feb 11, 2020, 9:10 AM

CLAYTON IS MY PICK.

Re: i still contend our pitching depth . . .

Feb 11, 2020, 10:44 AM

The good news is that there is some diversity in that group.

I felt a lot of the arms we ran out there last season were the same guy with a different number almost.

The group listed above has different strengths to help with playing match ups.

Hopefully they can find their niche and each can provide some help to the staff this season.

Feb 10, 2020, 11:54 PM

i sure hope so guys. I'm a big Monte Lee fan from his days at C of C. Appreciate every thing he did for my son when playing for him there.

Feb 11, 2020, 9:06 AM

Well I can tell you this our first 25 games are cupcake city , so we should start the year on a good note.

Feb 11, 2020, 9:11 AM

COOTIN18 HAS SPOKEN. NOTHING ELSE NEEDS BE SAID.

Feb 11, 2020, 10:08 AM

You don’t have some kids to scare ?
Old man

Feb 11, 2020, 10:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Calling all Clemson Baseball GURUS ]

Are the Coots part of "cupcake city"?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Feb 11, 2020, 10:24 AM

Yep just like last season they will suck

Feb 11, 2020, 10:40 AM

I'm not sure that it has been announced publicly at this point, but the team lost another piece to injury this past weekend and the player is likely out for a couple of months.

As already stated, this should be the most pitching depth, not only for Monte Lee but that Clemson has had in a while.

I think an argument could be made that there are more than the 4 guys you mentioned who are battling for the weekend rotation spots. I do agree that your options are the most likely to win the jobs early because they have been there and done it more than the others.

There is some question about the offense because it is unknown for the most part.

A major key this season is keeping Meredith on the field and healthy. Expect to see some other contenders for various spots who play the game similar to Meredith on offense as well.

To be able to be a good team, we will have to see major jumps in OBP this season. We are going to need multiple guys on base each inning to score because the games where we see 3-4 home runs to get to 5 or 6 runs are not likely to happen this season.

I don't think Monte has ever coached a team like this offensively even going back to his days at CofC or scar. It should be interesting to see how his philosophy meshes with the different style hitters.

He has said for a couple of years that he wants more athletes in the lineup to be able to do more things to score. Well this season he finally has those athletes. We will see if it translates to runs or not.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this team. I'm excited to see them get started this weekend.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic