Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cain will not be a 2016 breakout player
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Cain will not be a 2016 breakout player

Aug 23, 2016, 10:10 AM

He brokeout LAST YEAR. You could argue he was our best WR last year. We already know what he can do and I expect a huge year from him. If you want a 2016 breakout player at WR... Powell is your man.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Will Powell get enough opportunity? So many great players.****

Aug 23, 2016, 10:18 AM

Re: Will Powell get enough opportunity? So many great players.****

Aug 23, 2016, 10:23 AM

He and Feaster are going to be mop-up superstars.

Agree, come 3rd qtr on in most games, Powell and Feaster

Aug 23, 2016, 11:55 AM

May have field days... With Dabo's history of taking his foot off the gas, it may not matter with this team being so deep and talented. You may see a whole lot more Miami situations this year. The only way he may stop the offense from scoring is to call QB sneak every time. Then, if it's KB behind center, that's not a guarantee either...

Disagree.

Aug 23, 2016, 10:25 AM

Like Bryant, he was capable. We saw THAT.

I think this year (2nd year as a WR at all) he picks up schemes, better routes, blocking, etc. . .

Cain explodes this year, IMO.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was our best WR at season end

Aug 23, 2016, 10:29 AM

Disagree again.

Aug 23, 2016, 10:32 AM

he was the most promising/athletic.

He didn't have Renfrow's stats. Not trying to argue, and I get your point.

But, mark my words - Cain shows out this year! Couple of football lessons, life lessons, talent pouring in behind him pushing competition, etc....

He balls out this year. Mark it

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He was our best WR at season end

Aug 23, 2016, 10:35 AM [ in reply to He was our best WR at season end ]

> .

I agree. He was the guy I wanted with the ball in his hands. Made a huge impact when he touched it and was reliable.

Aug 23, 2016, 10:42 AM [ in reply to He was our best WR at season end ]

And he most certainly was not our best receiver by season's end, would have to give that to Scott followed by Renfrow

Don't get me wrong he made a few good catches, but not where he will be this year

Aug 23, 2016, 10:43 AM

He was our best deep threat, and it wasn't even close.

Aug 23, 2016, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Re: He was our best WR at season end ]

Total yards, it's actually Scott followed by Peake, then Leggett...then it's Cain...then Renfrow.

Average yrds per reception, it's Cain, then interestingly Hopper...then Renfrow, then Peake, then Leggett, then Scott.

Basically, Scott was our better overall WR, Cain was our best deep threat.

http://www.clemsontigers.com/fls/28500/pdf/football/2015-16/Stats.pdf?&DB_OEM_ID=28500

Half of Scott's touches were 1 ft. flips in the backfield.

Aug 23, 2016, 11:27 AM

He was our second best running back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Half of Scott's touches were 1 ft. flips in the backfield.

Aug 23, 2016, 11:28 AM

wow....

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Re: Half of Scott's touches were 1 ft. flips in the backfield.

Aug 23, 2016, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Half of Scott's touches were 1 ft. flips in the backfield. ]

That's still receiving yards...if it's a forward pass, it's a pass. RB's receive the ball behind or to the side of the QB, so that's not a forward pass. You do still have to catch that "flip"...then it's running. If Gallman catches a forward pass, it doesn't go to his rushing stats, it goes into his receiving stats.

Yes, but the question was who was our best receiver

Aug 23, 2016, 11:37 AM

and catching a 1 ft flip in the backfield, while it still counts to his stats as everyone already knows, carries far less weight in an analysis of wide receivers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes, but the question was who was our best receiver

Aug 23, 2016, 12:00 PM

So does averaging 60.1 yards per game...with a long of 51 and 6 TD's. ;)

You are correct, the question asked who was the best receiver, which all stats get taken into account. It wasn't "who was our best deep threat receiver", nor "who was the "best clutch receiver". Artavis had the most yards, most yards per game, and the 2nd most TD's of the entire team (Leggett had the most TD's).

Aug 23, 2016, 12:03 PM

Thanks for confirming what I said

Aug 23, 2016, 12:04 PM

yes, and the answer is Scott....see below, per what the NCAA uses to rank them.

Aug 23, 2016, 12:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Yes, but the question was who was our best receiver ]

And if you look at what NCAA ranks as the leaders in receiving, they look at yards and yards per game, which Artavis is the first Clemson player listed at #58. Anythiug else is just spinning the stats to fit the specific type you are looking for...best at "clutch plays"...best "deep threat"....best "short yardage"...

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/455/p2
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/stats/leaders/NCAAF/RECYDS/regularseason

Aug 23, 2016, 12:04 PM

??

Aug 23, 2016, 12:06 PM

And it's Scott.

I would place less emphasis on what most consider "hidden

Aug 23, 2016, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Yes, but the question was who was our best receiver ]

rushing stats" opportunities that Scott gets a ton of in evaluating a wide receiver. That's why I half jokingly suggested he was our second best running back the last two years. You have to have receivers that can run good routes, get open downfield, catch the deep ball, and make contested catches in traffic. Scott needs to work on almost all of those things. If you don't have them, a defense will crowd the line of scrimmage and neither the running game nor the 1 ft flip/quick passes to the flat will work effectively. I think that's why you saw Scott's production drop last year from 2 years ago with 22% more touches.

Re: I would place less emphasis on what most consider "hidden

Aug 23, 2016, 12:53 PM

This is why you saw his production decrease:
http://www.tigernet.com/update/player/Clemson-wide-receiver-knee-scoped-ACCCG-21686

Aug 23, 2016, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Yes, but the question was who was our best receiver ]

In your own mind it does, but not to everyone else.

Aug 23, 2016, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Re: He was our best WR at season end ]

Stats are all and well, but Renfrow caught some balls that really made a difference in some tight situations.
If it wasn't for him in the natty, the score would of been a lot different; all while Cain put us in jeopardy recovering from his gb's.

Aug 23, 2016, 12:16 PM

BTW, if you are trying top pull it's Renfrow...might want to compare him to Leggett. Leggett had more receptions, more yards, and 3 more TD's overall. He was just as "clutch" as Renfrow. There's no debate Cain was our best deep threat last year...there is a debate he never surpassed Williams stats of 2014...so this year for now, Williams is still Clemson's biggest deep threat, which is why he's 1st in the depth chart.

Let's put it this way...if you are only wanting to look at being "clutch", we had to beat UNC in the ACC-CG to get into the playoffs, right? Leggett and Scott both had a TD in that game, Renfrow didn't. So who was clutch then? For that game, it changed.

Stats say you are correct. At season's end Renfrow had

Aug 23, 2016, 11:22 AM [ in reply to He was our best WR at season end ]

19 catches for 323 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Cain had 32 catches for 570 yards and 5 touchdowns. Cain also had a touchdown in each of the last 5 games of the season. Renfrow had one.

Renfrow had 11 catches for 147 yards and 3 touchdowns in two playoff games. Cain did not play.

Advantage Cain.

Advantage Cain? He let his team down by getting in trouble

Aug 23, 2016, 11:54 AM

and that is an advantage???

Renfrow finally got the opportunity and showed out on the biggest stage. You can't just dismiss that.

The post reads "He was our best wr at season end."

Aug 23, 2016, 12:09 PM

The stats support that statement.

Renfrow was great in the playoffs, catching one third of his season's catches and 3 of his 5 total TDs in those 2 games.

Cain let the team down after the season, but, as the original poster suggested, it could be argued that Cain was our best wide receiver.

The stats support that statement.

If you feel that Cain's suspension disqualifies him from consideration, Scott and Renfrow would duke it out for the title.

Personally, I think Williams, Cain and Powell will prove to be the best of the current bunch.

Re: The post reads "He was our best wr at season end."

Aug 23, 2016, 12:24 PM

No, it can't be argued that he was our best deep threat receiver. There is an argument that every top receiver list you pull up for 2015 says Artavis Scott was Clemson's top receiver overall, though. Have to be more specific in the question.

Best receiver (which means overall)...Scott
Best deep threat receiver...Cain
Best receiver in clutch situations....Renfrow or Leggett (case can be made for both)
Receiver that put the most points on the board for the team...Leggett.

Aug 23, 2016, 12:31 PM

Pretty simple I said it earlier Scott then Renfrow. Leggett isn't a receiver btw

Aug 23, 2016, 12:57 PM

TE's are considered as receiving corp (technically a blend of receiver and lineman). Considering leggett isn't exactly known for his blocking or to be the best blocker, I'd say he's more considered a receiving TE than anything else.

Or do you want to argue with FoxSports, who lists him in this?
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/top-10-wide-receivers-clemson-alabama-michigan-oregon-080116
"And, if all that isn’t impressive enough, the Tigers also have one of the best tight ends in the nation in 6-5, 255-pound Jordan Leggett, who is coming off a season where he had 40 receptions and eight TD grabs, including a huge 100-yard game against FSU."

Aug 23, 2016, 1:02 PM

Funny they refer to him there and compare him as a tight end not a receiver, no?

Good quote though

Aug 23, 2016, 1:10 PM

Since you are having me go there...Dummies.com:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/footballs-offensive-team-the-receivers.html

"The tight end. The tight end is known as the Y receiver."

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/player-positions-in-american-football.html

"Tight end: A player who serves as a receiver and also as a blocker. This player lines up beside the offensive tackle to the right or the left of the quarterback."

Football 101):
http://football.calsci.com/Positions6.html
"The next receiver on the team is the tight end, who is also called the Y receiver. We've already covered him elsewhere. "

NFL.com:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000670759/article/ranking-the-nfls-four-best-receiver-groups
**notice this is about receiving groups and they list Gronk...a TE?

*drops mic*

Aug 23, 2016, 1:24 PM

WR stands for wide receiver, look at the title at the top of all your posts? WR... We are discussing wide receivers can you read?

does a rb become classified as wr because he catches more passes than he rushes?

Picks up mic, sticks in your ###

Aug 23, 2016, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Re: The post reads "He was our best wr at season end." ]

> Funny they refer to him there and compare him as a
> tight end not a receiver, no?
>
> Good quote though

Nice, now where did you say WR? Seems you said he was "not a receiver", quoted above.

Go learn football.

Aug 23, 2016, 1:30 PM [ in reply to Re: The post reads "He was our best wr at season end." ]

> Pretty simple I said it earlier Scott then Renfrow.
> Leggett isn't a receiver btw

2nd time you said specific..."Leggett isn't a receiver btw"...we aren't talking about the header, we are talking about your poor wording alone and how what you said is incorrect. He is a receiver.

Drops mic again.

Aug 23, 2016, 1:47 PM
image.png(235.6 K)

I could see how our argument could go either way we both used wr and receiver in some posts. I was just texting, I'm on my phone. I meant to consistently use wr. Just was saying they aren't apples to apples; no need to insult my football knowledge.

However on a more important note kinda gross you held a mic up to your mouth with your own ##### on it?

Aug 23, 2016, 2:04 PM

Nothing there ##### sniffer?

Aug 23, 2016, 11:24 AM [ in reply to He was our best WR at season end ]

I would think our best WR would be one that could follow team rules but that is just me.

But who am I to question to great NAT /s

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

At seasons end he was our worst WR. He couldn't play because

Aug 23, 2016, 11:51 AM [ in reply to He was our best WR at season end ]

he was a knucklehead.

Sounds like he's got it together now so I hope he does break out.

Last year Tay Scott and Renfrow were better.

Re: Cain will not be a 2016 breakout player

Aug 23, 2016, 10:40 AM

Only thing he broke out last year was the bong.

That was not anything compared to his potential

Aug 23, 2016, 11:22 AM

Averaging out per yards, he becomes the top WR, but in total yards and TD's, Scott, Peake , and Leggett were ahead of him. Scottw as technically our best overall receiver last year, Cain was the best deep threat.
http://www.clemsontigers.com/fls/28500/pdf/football/2015-16/Stats.pdf?&DB_OEM_ID=28500

Aug 23, 2016, 11:34 AM

I feel ya .

I expect Feaster to be the breakout guy .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Feaster will be our first home run threat since Ellington in

Aug 23, 2016, 11:56 AM

2012. He has the strength to break a tackle and then out run everybody to the endzone.

It's going to be hard to keep the scoring totals down after we take out our first team players and try to run out the clock. Looking for him to light up Troy and SC State to earn some more opportunities for Wayne to catch his breath.

Aug 23, 2016, 12:29 PM

The dream almost slipped through his fingers, life lesson learned, great future reclaimed. He's gonna be great.

Thank you Dabo!

Aug 23, 2016, 1:55 PM

As good as Mike Williams was in 2014, we have not seen his best yet.
He was primed to have a monster season last year.
Him and DW will be unstoppable this season.
MW is a freak and will let it loose in 16.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic