Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CU players in 2019 NFL Draft - What I'm seeing/hearing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

CU players in 2019 NFL Draft - What I'm seeing/hearing

Mar 25, 2019, 1:48 PM

Three things to keep in mind here:

1) This is all like 3rd hand info that I'm getting from various draft gurus so take it with a grain of salt. Some of them have some legit NFL contacts and some are probably just full of sh*t. None of this came from Kiper or McShay though so you can take a little solice in that.

2) This is an insanely deep DL draft and that's pushing some of our guys down the board a bit.

3) It only takes one front office falling in love with a player for them to go much higher.

Clelin Ferrell - Mid 1st, likely somewhere in the teens. In terms of edge rushers he seems to be solidly behind Nick Bosa and Josh Allen who both appear to be top 5 picks. For whatever reason people still can't seem to get over the physical traits of Rashan Gary despite his lackluster production at Michigan. Montez Sweat has also soared up draft boards recently. Right now I'm seeing Clelin rated as the 5th or 6th Edge guy right there with Brian Burns from FSU.

Christian Wilkins - Late first, likely in the 20s. Quinnen Williams and Ed Oliver are going ahead of him at the DT position. Jeffrey Simmons is also in the mix here, but an ACL injury suffered before the combine is pushing his stock down a bit. Look for #42 to be the 3rd or 4th DT taken. I think he's a guy that could go higher than projected because he's going to interview incredibly well and he just has all of the things that coaches love - work ethic, incredibly high motor, leadership, etc.

Trayvon Mullen - 2nd round - hopefully early 2nd. Greedy Williams and Byron Murphy both seem to be solidly ahead of him at the CB position. Rock Ya-Sin, DeAndre Baker, and Julian Love are all in the mix here as either late 1st or 2nd round corners as well. Ya-Sin's stock appears to be rising quickly and DeAndre Baker's has reportedly fallen after terrible team interviews. Hopefully Mullen is the 3rd or 4th CB taken and doesn't slide beyond that.

Dexter Lawrence - 2nd round. The idea of Big Dex going in the 1st round - which for 3 years has been assumed a lock - seems to be dead now. The consensus appears to be somewhere in the 2nd round. There are numerous concerns about Dex including the steroid business, his foot injury, his lack of development beyond his FR year, and his ability to affect the QB in a pass-happy NFL.

Hunter Renfrow - Anywhere from rounds 4-6. Everyone loves his route running and I've heard more than one draft guru say he has the best hands they've ever seen. Of course that comes with physical limitations, but i would still be surprised if Renfrow doesn't have a solid NFL career as a slot WR.

Tre Lamar - Day 3 pick? I haven't heard Lamar talked about too much and what i have heard hasn't been too flattering. Good run stuffer, but that isn't valued as much out of a LB in the modern NFL and I've heard him called big, slow, and stiff. I think those are probably all accurate criticisms if I'm being honest.

Mark Fields - I've heard positive things about Fields, but i haven't heard anyone give a draft projection for him. I think he helped himself out quite a bit at the combine. I've basically heard him described as a guy with great physical traits, but not a lot of film to go off of that some front office might take a flyer on.

Mitch Hyatt / Austin Bryant - I honestly haven't heard either one behind talked about at all. I'm just guessing both are somewhere in the 4th round or so. I think 3rd is possible for either of them, but perhaps a bit unlikely.

Kendall Joseph - I haven't heard a word about him and i honestly have no idea where he might go. I would be a bit surprised if he doesn't get drafted, but it's probably going to be late.

Albert Huggins - No clue. I think he's worthy of being drafted, but getting buried behind the rest of the Power Rangers for 4 years has limited his exposure.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CU players in 2019 NFL Draft - What I'm seeing/hearing

Mar 25, 2019, 2:09 PM

It’s hard to believe that Clemson could win the NC with the Defense it had, lose 7 starters and 2 backups to the draft on that D, and not have more than 2 go in the first round?

I get the depth in the draft, but Ed Oliver has an attitude problem and Nick Bosa has a commitment problem. I saw in their 2018 season. We’ll see..

Mar 25, 2019, 5:27 PM

Gary is another one I think has a problem with “team” mentality.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2019, 2:17 PM

You're a fool if you let Dex fall to the 2nd round. Dudes like him don't come around often.

Mar 25, 2019, 2:26 PM

He could end up being a steal.

10-15 years ago he probably goes top 5

Mar 25, 2019, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Re: CU players in 2019 NFL Draft - What I'm seeing/hearing ]

Things are different now and the ostarine issue and foot injury history aren't helping. He might still sneak into the 1st round, but I'm not hearing any 1st round buzz for him any longer.

Mar 25, 2019, 2:37 PM

From Walter Football,

Clelin, Christin - Round 1
Dex - Round 1-2
Tre - Round 1-3
Trayvon - Round 2-4
Austin - Round 3-4

Round 4-6 - Hunter, Mitch Albert Kendall, Mark

That's a much different evaluation for Lamar than

Mar 25, 2019, 3:21 PM

I've heard elsewhere. I would love for him to go that high, but I'm pretty skeptical. I don't think he's rangy or fluid enough to project as a high-end NFL LB in 2019. Like Dex, he's another guy that would've been valued much higher 10-15 years ago.

Mar 25, 2019, 6:10 PM [ in reply to Re: CU players in 2019 NFL Draft - What I'm seeing/hearing ]

Walter football is one dude's opinion. He has an ax to grind with Clemson, every year he rates Clemson prospects low.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish someone could explain the NFL obsession with...

Mar 25, 2019, 4:55 PM

Rashan Gary? He underperformed at Michigan for the consensus top player coming out of High School and his combine numbers kind of pointed that out. Same with Ed Oliver who was great two years ago but pretty much average this year.

Re: I wish someone could explain the NFL obsession with...

Mar 26, 2019, 6:27 AM

I think he ran a blazing 4.56 at the combine. Now they love him.

Question: Since when has the NFL Draft ever gone like

Mar 25, 2019, 5:01 PM

predicted?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2019, 5:27 PM

Man I really hope the Cowboys finally draft a few Tigers. I really hope they get Hunter!!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2019, 9:37 PM

You been talking to Todd McGhey way too much.......Go Tigers!!!!!

The Draft is nothing more than a poker game

Mar 26, 2019, 6:00 AM

But 'names', rather than chips, are thrown in the pot. What isn't said carries as much, or more, weight. The one thing some teams are starting to grasp is character matters and that has to be 'experienced' across different formats. Clemson is 'ground central' for character in a program.

Regarding Dex and the assessment given, while there may be some truth to the 'concerns', they can not be weighted any more than the concerns that have to exist over Oliver, Gary, and even Bosa.

As for Huggins...he's the 'Grady' of this year's draft. Hopefully Lamar and Joseph get a shot, but I thought they were complimentary to the D-Line the Tigers have had, but neither were a Goodson nor an O'Daniel. They're Tigers, successful and will always have a special place in Clemson lore.

Trevion Thompson will get a UFA deal and make a practice squad. As one NFL executive was quoted a few years back now, a team has to look at any Tiger WR...they just have to. Brown and Humphries back that comment up...consummate team players.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's actually a disclaimer at the top of my posting

Mar 26, 2019, 7:38 AM [ in reply to Re: CU players in 2019 NFL Draft - What I'm seeing/hearing ]

saying that none of this is from Todd McShay. I haven't heard his voice since i watched the MNF film room natty broadcast, thankfully.

Mar 26, 2019, 12:13 PM

I think most if these takes are pretty accurate. The one that I agree with but also is so confusing is Mitch Hyatt. Nobody respects him but hes been a 4 year All American 2 year 1st team, and has been nothing but absolutely solid. He's the one guy that you just knew you didn't have to worry about. I think peoples issue with him is he doesn't look the part. Skinny T Rex arms and doesn't seem to have Too developed upper body strength. but man His film is just impressive. In a way that you don't even notice him because he's so consistently good. I think he's drafted to start the up trend for Clemson OL players...and I think John Simpson is our 1st highly drafted OL players under dabo. With Jackson Cameron being a 1st round pick under Dabo

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic