Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CU bball path to a winning ACC record (10+ wins)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

CU bball path to a winning ACC record (10+ wins)

Jan 16, 2020, 12:12 PM

Its early, but we currently are tied for 5th with a 3-3 record.

Remaining winnable games:

Wake Forest (2) - we should and need to win both of these
GT (2) - we should and can win both but must split
ND - 1
@ Pitt - 1

Toss-ups:
Syr, @ BC, @ NCST

Probable losses (not saying we cant win, see Duke, but these teams are pretty good thus far):
UVA (1, although they have hit a bump and lost to coots), Louisville (2), @ VT, FSU

If we win winnable games that would put us at 9-8. To get to 10 wins, we would have to win 1 of the toss ups and/or have an upset.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CU bball path to a winning ACC record (10+ wins)

Jan 16, 2020, 12:16 PM

good analysis. This week would be a good one to get. We'd have two road wins to offset the two early home losses. We need to keep on track by winning home games. And maybe get a remaining road game. we can wait till we have to win the last 3 or so straight to get 10 wins

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good breakdown. I think out-of-conference was so atrocious

Jan 16, 2020, 12:25 PM

that we need more than 10 conference wins.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good breakdown. I think out-of-conference was so atrocious

Jan 16, 2020, 12:28 PM

well at least the Duke one carries some weight if we're borderline. If this is the start of higher caliber play we could end up ok

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Borderline for what...the NCAA Tournament ?!?!?!***

Jan 16, 2020, 12:39 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I agree, at this point I think NCAA is out but

Jan 16, 2020, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Good breakdown. I think out-of-conference was so atrocious ]

I think this would be a strong finish and would land us squarely in the NIT. I think for this team that would be fantastic heading into next year.

Re: Good breakdown. I think out-of-conference was so atrocious

Jan 16, 2020, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Good breakdown. I think out-of-conference was so atrocious ]

Row86® said:

that we need more than 10 conference wins.

Yeah 10 is going is not even be close. Id say the least we can lose is 4 more games in the regular season, maybe one more if we win 1 or two games in the ACCT. The two really tough games don't see us having us much shot at is FSU and at Louisville. FSU is just an awful matchup always against BB teams.
That gives a window of two more loses. Basically, we need to go on quite a run...

Too many non-conference losses to overcome

Jan 16, 2020, 12:36 PM

We need to have a stellar record in conference to make NCAA tourney. 10 wins won't cut it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Too many non-conference losses to overcome

Jan 16, 2020, 12:48 PM

If we beat FSU, UVA, and UL i believe 10 wins in the ACC would be enough. Who knows what the bubble will look like tho. We just need to keep winning games and see where we end up.

You're nuts. 10 wins in conference is only a .500 record

Jan 16, 2020, 12:59 PM

We play 20 conference games this year.

Clemson needs ~20 wins overall to make the tourney. Would require 13 wins in conference (minimum 10-4 the rest of the way).

It is not going to happen.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You're nuts. 10 wins in conference is only a .500 record

Jan 16, 2020, 1:08 PM

Most would have told you last Thursday that a win in Chapel Hole was not going to happen with this year's team (much less a win against Duke). It's only impossible if you don't try. :)

im not nuts, see my post

Jan 16, 2020, 1:17 PM [ in reply to You're nuts. 10 wins in conference is only a .500 record ]

to get to .500 I said we would have to win 1 of the toss ups, to get above .500 we would have to win more. Additionally, no where in the post did I say that would be good enough for the NCAA tournament. I think that ship has sailed unless some weird stuff happens. However, for the young team we have, I think a .500 ACC record and a NIT bid would be fantastic and more than most of us expected after the start we had to the season.

nm, I think you were referring to another poster being nuts

Jan 16, 2020, 1:19 PM

I agree that the NCAA is probably out

I bet you also believed that beating UNC in Chapel Hill

Jan 16, 2020, 1:30 PM [ in reply to You're nuts. 10 wins in conference is only a .500 record ]

wouldn't happen and beating Duke the other day wouldn't happen.

I suggest you support the team and see how the season plays out.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: You're nuts. 10 wins in conference is only a .500 record

Jan 16, 2020, 6:12 PM [ in reply to You're nuts. 10 wins in conference is only a .500 record ]

If we finish above .500 against quad 1 teams we could certainly make the tourney without having 20 Ws. Multiple teams made it last year with less than 20 Ws. It's a long shot and we would have to beat some really good teams but it's possible. We just beat Duke and shot like 50% from the free throw line(tho they did too).

I agree, see above, I dont think we will make NCAA

Jan 16, 2020, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Too many non-conference losses to overcome ]

but a .500 conference record and a NIT bid would be great for our team

7-7 in the remaining ACC games and an NIT bid

Jan 16, 2020, 2:39 PM

is the only realistic hope.

Since basketball miracles seem to be happening

Jan 16, 2020, 4:51 PM

I'm holding out that we'll win the ACC tourney.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since we have 20 conference games....I think that...

Jan 16, 2020, 6:05 PM

A 12-8 record would get us a long look....with a 13-7 record putting us in.
Our non conference record was rough...but we do have some injuries that could be taken into account.
Some of our non conference losses were not terrible losses (Colorado, for example), but we just have too many of them.
The tough part is that, of the 14 games remaining, 8 are on the road and 6 are at home. Although we won the road game to end all road games last Saturday, we will have to play well in some hostile places to pick up key wins...especially since we have 2 home losses to make up for.
This week has been magical...and I think we can finish much better than was originally thought and maybe be a .500 team in ACC play and a NIT team.
But the door is open for more....lots of ‘middling’ teams this year in the ACC.

Re: CU bball path to a winning ACC record (10+ wins)

Jan 17, 2020, 9:53 AM

I would say we need to win the remaining "winnable" games plus 2 more big wins. I think the FSU and Loserville home games will be huge for the team going forward.

The question is whether we can continue to shoot the ball well, which is what really won the NC State and Duke games for us that was lacking earlier in the year.

Outside of VT (74) and South Carolina (123) we haven't had any terrible losses when looking at RPI, everyone else has been top 50. However we need more wins against the top 50 RPI teams... That Carolina loss will haunt us, I still can't believe how flat we looked in that game.

My expectations don't change with the recent wins. I have been a basketball fan long enough to know we will come back down to earth, likely on Saturday. I hope not though!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic