Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CU Basketball Future will be decided by transfers.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

CU Basketball Future will be decided by transfers.

Apr 2, 2019, 11:01 AM

2020 recruiting and perhaps 2021 recruiting will determine the Clemson basketball coaching fate. But I also think Clemson basketball has a chance to build continuity with these younger players if they stay at Clemson. That will be crucial not only to Coach BB's future, but also the future of Clemson basketball. Players have to stay.

Everyone is frustrated with current state of lack of consistent success in Clemson basketball. My reasons for it: OP not really developing a program + Too many players transferring out + Coaching staff not recruiting better from 2013-2016

But using 24/7 Sports, Clemson basketball recruiting appears to be starting to trend upward after hitting the bottom a few years ago.

I do think folks need to remember some crazy things going on during Coach BB's first few years. Year 1, OP leaves in the middle of the night, so no recruiting is even achieved. 280th ranked. Then some transfers start occurring with a few of them last minute. That screws up recruiting. The Clemson team does not return its leading scorer for numerous years in a row.

POINT AGAINST COACH BB: Why did so many players that he recruited end up transferring? What was going on?

I think that is probably the biggest reason for Clemson's lack of consistent improvement from 2021-2016. There was not steady improvement because players were not staying in the program. The transfers left holes to fill and did not allow for continuity.

During that time, I do think Coach BB and his staff did a real good job of piecing things together, as well as surpassing preseason expections. I felt that his staff certainly was able to develop players better and got more out of Tanner Muse, Andre Young, Baicu, Stitt, Grant, Bryan Narcissee and even perhaps Devin Booker.

My perspective, I did not see foundation set up by Purnell. His last few classes may have seemed high in ranking, but folks did not pan out or they transferred out. That could've been due to not meshing with new coach.

Look at Clemson basketball recruiting via 24/7

2019 class - ranked 34th 7th in ACC Teams above them all had 4 or more commits except Pitt (#6) and Duke (#2)
2018 class - ranked 60th 10th in ACC - 3 players
2017 class - ranked 46th 9th in ACC - 4 players (AJ Oliver transferred)
2016 class - ranked 116th 15th in ACC - 1 player Scott Spencer
2015 class - ranked 82nd 14th in ACC - 2 players Ty Hudon, Legend Robertin - both transferred
2014 class - ranked 80th 12th in ACC - 2 players Dante and Gabe

2013 class - ranked 78th 14th in ACC - 4 players Sidy, Austin Ajukwa, Patrick Rooks, Ibrahim Djambo - 3 of them transferred

2012 class - ranked 44th 11th in ACC - 5 players Landry, jordan Roper, Jason B, Josh Smith, Adonis Filer - Adonius transferred

2011 class - ranked 40th 8th in ACC - 5 players KJ McDaniels, Rod Hall, TJ sapp, Devin Coleman, Bernard Sullivan - 3 of them transferred

2010 class - ranked 280th 15th in ACC - 1 player
On April 23, 2010, Brownell was named head coach at Clemson.[2]

2009 class - ranked 15th 5th in ACC - Devin Booker, Milton Jennings, Noel Johnson, Donte Hill
2008 class - ranked 30th 8th in ACC - Caitlin Baicu, Andre young, Tanner Smith, Bryan Narcissee -
2007 class - ranked 60th 13th in ACC - Demontez Stitt, Jerai Grant, Terrence Oglesby

About the incoming class:

AL=AMIR DAWES 4**** and ranked 104th propsect in country
(ESPN had him 94th of top 100 - also had him #15 PG in country)
Al-Amir Dawes is a Combo Guard from Newark, NJ. Clemson was chosen over Providence, UConn, Seton Hall, St Johns. #15 Combo Guard in the Country. #5 recruit in New Jersey. HIghest rated recruit for this class.

CHASE HUNTER - was featured as a rising star
ESPN had him as #45 SG in country.
Chase Hunter entered the month of July at No. 174 in the 247Sports Rankings, and now he is comfortably in the top 100. A good scorer with excellent speed, and a solid feel for the game, Hunter played quite well all month long. Now is a legit high-major target who has become a priority recruit for high quality programs.
Recruiting: Clemson, Georgia, Michigan State and Oklahoma

ALEX HEMENWAY 3*** 24/7 56th Shooting Guard #12 out of Indiana
Alex Hemenway is a 6-3, 170-pound Shooting Guard from Newburgh, IN. He is best known for his ability to knock down perimeter jumpers, and then also has a little bit of game off the dribble as well. Because he does have good length to go along with his height, Hemeneway has the potential to be a solid defensive player, though he will need to continue to focus in that area.

WATCH BASKETBALL RECRIUTING to see how Coach BB and his ataff are at clsoing.

FOR 2020 Recruiting:
Per ESPN , the following players are considering Clemson.

Isaiah Todd 6'10'' 200 PF Richmond, VA
ESPN TOP 60 REcruit
GRADE 95

Jaden Springer 6'4'' 185 SG Charlotte, NC
ESPN TOP 60 REcruit
Grade 93

P.J. Hall 6'9'' C Roebuck, SC
ESPN Grade 82
Dorman High School

Sharife Cooper 6'0'' 160 PG Powder Springs, GA
ESPN TOP 60 REcruit
Grade 90

Henry Coleman 6'8'' 230 PF Richmond, VA
ESPN TOP 60 REcruit
Grade 86

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CU Basketball Future will be decided by transfers.

Apr 2, 2019, 12:39 PM

Would like to know how Spencer and Hudson have done at their current schools. Thought early on Spencer had a solid upside.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Apr 2, 2019, 12:53 PM

Recruiting has always been what would make or break BB. Nothing has changed he needs to get good guard play.Great guard play is the key.

Retention and development is key going forward

Apr 2, 2019, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Re: CU Basketball Future will be decided by transfers. ]

We simply can’t afford to have guys leave after one or two years, and I don’t care what the transfer percentages are. Like Dabo says it should be “until graduation us do part”. I like that he puts the responsibility on his assistant coaches if a player doesn’t pan out. It also forces them to coach them up.
Spencer and Hudson were both fairly highly rated coming out of high school. Having an extra ball handler like Hudson would’ve been nice to have. Especially when Mitchell went down.

Apr 3, 2019, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Re: CU Basketball Future will be decided by transfers. ]

Hudson has been a dud. I saw him in HS and knew he would never be much. He was overrated. I am not sure is Scott Spencer has played yet.

Apr 2, 2019, 1:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Anybody got the cliff notes?***

Apr 2, 2019, 1:11 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anybody got the cliff notes?***

Apr 3, 2019, 12:37 PM

Nope. I graduated from Clemson. So I gots the smarts enough to read a multiple sentences and paragraphs, even a book or two.

Apr 3, 2019, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Re: CU Basketball Future will be decided by transfers. ]

Francis Francis Francis... Clemson men and women use their brains and can read.

Lighten up Francis.
https://tenor.com/search/lighten-up-francis-gifs

Apr 2, 2019, 1:12 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Apr 2, 2019, 1:18 PM

these guys who transfer out never do anything at the smaller schools they go to which says a lot for our poor talent evaluation

Read my post below and you'll see that our last

Apr 2, 2019, 1:39 PM

few recruiting classes have been good. Players are choosing us over programs with much better pedigrees and basketball funding. That shows that Brownell does evaluate talent well and can recruit well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Apr 3, 2019, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Re: CU Basketball Future will be decided by transfers. ]

Such astute commentary. Appreciate it.

Excellent post. Thank you for the great info.

Apr 2, 2019, 1:37 PM

I would like to add that our last two classes have been nice improvements. These are the first two that you can really start to see the continuity with Brownell and the new facilities meshing well.

2018 class:
-John Newman was a 4-star by ESPN, and chose Clemson over scholarship offers from Virginia, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Boston College, Cincinnati, Providence, James Madison, Old Dominion, and Charlotte.
-Hunter Tyson was a 4-star by ESPN, and chose Clemson over scholarship offers from Michigan, Tennessee, Wake Forest, Providence, DePaul, Davidson, Butler, Charlotte, Appalachian State, East Carolina, and Elon.
-Trey Jemison was a 4-star by ESPN, and chose Clemson over scholarship offers from Stanford, Texas A&M, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt, Oklahoma State, UAB, Liberty, Little Rock, and Samford.

2019 class:
-Al-Amir Dawes is a 4-star by ESPN, and chose Clemson over scholarship offers from Wichita State, St. John's, Seton Hall, Minnesota, UConn, DePaul, Providence, Rutgers, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure, and St. Joseph's.
-Chase Hunter is a 3-star by ESPN, and chose Clemson over scholarship offers from Virginia, Michigan State, Auburn, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Georgia, Mississippi State, VCU, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Houston, Georgia State, and Florida Gulf Coast.
-Alex Hemenway is a 3-star by ESPN, and chose Clemson over scholarship offers from Xavier, Nebraska, DePaul, Creighton, Butler, Belmont, Valparaiso, Bradley, Evansville, Northern Kentucky, and IUPUI.

I know it's popular to just say "Brownell can't recruit," but anyone who chooses to actually look at the other scholarship offers these guys have received will see that they are good prospects. The fact that these guys chose Clemson over offers from programs that have much more history and clout that Clemson shows that Brownell can recruit.

I'm excited to see what these guys can do at Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Excellent post. Thank you for the great info.

Apr 3, 2019, 12:49 PM

His last 2 classes have been good ones. I think he is one more good class away from turning the corner. He needs some front court guys and we will be on our way.

Yes, OP "leaving in the middle of the night" ...

Apr 2, 2019, 2:47 PM

ten years ago really pushed this Program back. Nay, it will take DECADES to recover ... especially when you consider how rural the Upstate is and there are no good Basketball players in South Carolina ... none ... everybody just plays Football and BBQs ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why are you putting that in quotations? It's EXACTLY how it

Apr 2, 2019, 4:38 PM

happened

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That “great” 2009 class was a total mirage ...

Apr 2, 2019, 9:34 PM

... not one of them panned out.

2009 class - ranked 15th 5th in ACC - Devin Booker, Milton Jennings, Noel Johnson, Donte Hill

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That “great” 2009 class was a total mirage ...

Apr 2, 2019, 9:40 PM

Yep, that was the class that was going to change things for the Clemson program.

Purnell was on a roll and the future was as bright as could be.

Apr 3, 2019, 2:20 AM

Not sure what you guys are seeing. BB put next years starters in against Wright State and they got smoked. Thats not good recruiting. Never has been with BB.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic