Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CU BASEBALL STARTERS
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

CU BASEBALL STARTERS

Feb 19, 2013, 5:08 PM

Please please tell me we do not have to start Patrick Andrews again this Saturday. I'd love to see Crownover get a look as the starter.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CU BASEBALL STARTERS

Feb 19, 2013, 5:13 PM

Crownover is stud, not sure if he is 100% ready after Injury.....Whatever happened to Jonathan Meyer, I thought he looked very good at times.

Feb 19, 2013, 6:41 PM

So you are going to throw Patrick under the bus for one bad outing. Using your formula no team will have any pitchers left by the end of the season. Bet you were not at the game.

I think the idea is

Feb 19, 2013, 6:51 PM

To give crownover a break early and hope he progresses into the third starter late. Instead of rushing him. Schmidt looked good this weekend maybe go with him.

null

Feb 19, 2013, 6:57 PM

yep lets go ahead and blow his arm out before he is fully recovered from tommy john. right ray.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you are going to freak out over an outing

Feb 19, 2013, 7:10 PM

don't pick the kid coming off Tommy John who gave up 2 ER in 0.2 as the replacement.

Re: If you are going to freak out over an outing

Feb 19, 2013, 10:09 PM

To be fair to the guy referring to Andrews. This isn't an isolated incident.

The guy carried a salty 5.6 ERA with a 2-3 record last year coming in as a reliever. I don't think the games he competed in were very good competition either. There is a track record here to suggest the guy is not ready to be a weekend starter

Feb 20, 2013, 8:41 AM

so his record last year as a freshman indicates how good he will be this year. who knew you stay the same all through your career.

Feb 20, 2013, 8:42 AM [ in reply to If you are going to freak out over an outing ]

You don't think these clowns actually paid attention to the rest of the game do you? Crownover will be starting by the end of the season, but it was obvious that he is not ready just yet. But, part of his problems may also have been the pitch calling.

>If you are going to freak out over an outing
> don't pick the kid coming off Tommy John who gave up
> 2 ER in 0.2 as the replacement.

Feb 20, 2013, 8:45 AM

good lord dude, what is it with the pitch calling. coach pep calls the pitches of course but our kids can shake off calls if they wish. it doesnt happen a lot but the dead giveaway is when the pitcher shakes his head back and forth.

Feb 19, 2013, 7:32 PM

> Please please tell me we do not have to start Patrick
> Andrews again this Saturday. I'd love to see
> Crownover get a look as the starter.

You've been a member since today and you want to throw one of our best pitchers under the bus? Were you at the game? I was. It's the first series..........cold as heck, not ideal playing conditions....granted the pitcher from W&M had a good day but that's baseball. Get a grip lad.

Feb 19, 2013, 9:59 PM

Yes I was at the game, I'm sorry I just don't think Andrews has the stuff to go through an order 2 or 3 times. He had a 5.52 ERA last year, were y'all at those games?

Patrick pitched 29.1 innings last year...

Feb 19, 2013, 10:05 PM

not a huge sample size. Daniel Gossett, by contrast, pitched 77 innings.

Feb 20, 2013, 8:50 AM [ in reply to Re: CU BASEBALL STARTERS ]

Yeah, and Gossett's ERA was 4.32 last year. I guess that means he can't pitch either. And I was at ALL of those games.

Andrews was an important pitcher last year. He will be even more important this year, whether it's as a starter or reliever. By the end of the year he'll be in the top 2 or 3 on the team in innings pitched.

> Yes I was at the game, I'm sorry I just don't think
> Andrews has the stuff to go through an order 2 or 3
> times. He had a 5.52 ERA last year, were y'all at
> those games?

Feb 19, 2013, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Re: CU BASEBALL STARTERS ]

I was at the game as well. Completely agree with the OP. I don't know why everyone is giving him crap for an opinion that has some backing (just look back at last year).

I think we have some better options at this point

Don't look for Crownover to start yet...

Feb 19, 2013, 9:57 PM

maybe later in the season. He's still less than a year removed from Tommy John surgery. Be glad he's pitching at all.

Re: Don't look for Crownover to start yet...

Feb 19, 2013, 10:12 PM

I am just pissed that some Cape Cod hack job of a coach got one of our weekend starters hurt during meaningless off season games.

Crownover is a freshman. He hasn't played college summer

Feb 20, 2013, 7:36 AM

ball in the Cape or anywhere else yet. His injury came early in his high school season last year.

Feb 20, 2013, 8:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Don't look for Crownover to start yet... ]

Pohle?

Feb 20, 2013, 8:56 AM

Pohle is still recovering from off season shoulder surgery.

> Pohle?

Feb 20, 2013, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Don't look for Crownover to start yet... ]

You really don't know how any of this works do you? The pitcher that was supposedly hurt at the cape was Firth. As the other poster pointed out, you have to have a year of college under your belt before you can go to the cape. IF anyone overpitched Crownover the most likely candidates would be his HS or travel ball coach. Pitchers get hurt at the cape because they're trying to light up the radar gun to impress scouts. They're far more likely to be overpitched by their college coaches than by their coaches at the cape.

> I am just pissed that some Cape Cod hack job of a
> coach got one of our weekend starters hurt during
> meaningless off season games.

Feb 20, 2013, 8:38 AM

I think you will probably see Schmidt next weekend. Andrews actually did not throw badly. The big problem I saw was some boneheaded pitch calling. The kid's best pitch is his slider and they just would not call it. He kept getting ahead of batters and rather than let him put them away with they slider they kept calling fastballs away and changeups.

> Please please tell me we do not have to start Patrick
> Andrews again this Saturday. I'd love to see
> Crownover get a look as the starter.

Feb 20, 2013, 11:14 AM

I was at the games and it clearly was not pitch calling. Andrews caught a couple of bad breaks with some blop singles and it effected his ability to locate his pitches.

Feb 20, 2013, 12:22 PM

You may be right about the singles affecting him. But when a kids hands down best pitch is his slider and they only call three sliders in three innings, you have to wonder about the pitch calling. When you get ahead in the count you pitch aggressively and try to put the guy away, you don't nibble at the corners. And that's what I saw repeatedly on Saturday. Get two strikes on the batter and start nibbling. That's chicken-sheet pitch calling.

> I was at the games and it clearly was not pitch
> calling. Andrews caught a couple of bad breaks with
> some blop singles and it effected his ability to
> locate his pitches.

Feb 20, 2013, 1:06 PM

I assume that if you disagree with the pitch calling you did some sort of scouting on the batters? That is generally how the pitching sequnece is determined per batter vs the pitcher on the mound. Not saying his best pitch is not a slider but he will never scare a hitter without being able to locate his fast ball on the corners..Goose and Scotty did not seem to have a problem with the pitch calling and getting guys out.

Feb 20, 2013, 8:42 AM

Clate Schmidt will start on Sat. per TCI

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic