Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CU-Auburn sales is sign of a larger trend live sports are
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

CU-Auburn sales is sign of a larger trend live sports are

Jul 11, 2012, 1:24 PM

dealing with. I am going to the game since I try to catch one Clemson game a year. However, the viewing experience is getting better at home now. with HDTV, no lines to the bathrooms, cheap beer and food, no hassles in parking or dealing with drunk fans, and you get analysis, replays and ability to flip the channel to other games by watching on TV. The NFL is no longer selling out like it used to and many sports economists predict a trend where fans are being priced out of the market and it makes more sense to stay home with the improved viewing experience from TV, internet, and technology. I was wondering why Clemson hasn't sold out their allotment and was initially disappointed, but the smart thing to do is stay home, save some money, and enjoy the game on TV.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, like it has nothing to do age. ;)***

Jul 11, 2012, 1:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CU-Auburn sales is sign of a larger trend live sports are

Jul 11, 2012, 1:37 PM

I do think it is a much better viewing experience on TV; however, going to the game is about so much more than just the game. Seeing old friends you haven't seen in forever, tailgating, experiencing the awesome beauty of clemson (and I ain't just talkin about the grass and the trees :) )

Yeah I rarely go to a game just to see some football

Jul 11, 2012, 1:42 PM

I like getting out of the house for the events of the day - not the game itself.

Our society is turning more and more sedentary.

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i think money for things like college,pro sports is hard to

Jul 11, 2012, 2:26 PM [ in reply to Re: CU-Auburn sales is sign of a larger trend live sports are ]

come by right now.obama has seen to that.

I want to be a part of the game and believe I can make a

Jul 11, 2012, 1:44 PM
007.jpg(141.4 K)
008.jpg(116.8 K)

difference and have seen Clemson fans MAKE a DIFFERENCE when a game is on line. In fact last year in Charlotte in that 3rd quarter I think the roar of our fans there helped to pump up our team and contributed to the ways the game played out. There are other examples.

I believe that YOU can make a difference for the Tigers on the road and at home.

My advice--go to the Auburn game if you can and give the Tigers the support they need.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One day in the distant future....

Jul 11, 2012, 1:46 PM

there will be no crowd or stadium required. You will sit at home and watch the game in a hologram in your den.

It will be like a sitcom with piped in crowd noise and a computer generated backstop for a stadium.

More progress, compliments of mankind.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2012, 1:49 PM

It's beginning to cost more than it's worth.

NPR did an interesting editorial about it this morning.

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=156541190&m=156595467

Johnstone4life -how can sitting home be the "smart" thing

Jul 11, 2012, 1:54 PM

to do? Do you think 5* recruits want to play in an EMPTY stadium??? Clemson has built a great reputation BECAUSE of great fan support! Auburn sold out their tickets fast & are coming after ours. SORRY to read your post - unless you live on the west coast.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are taking what I said to the extreme.

Jul 11, 2012, 2:04 PM

There will always be a live market for the live experience. However, the trend in live sports is fans are preferring watching at home. There will be greater demand for games like FSU or South Carolina, but in coming years prices will likely need to be stagnant on some sections of the stadium/arena and attendance for games like Wake, Duke, NC State, UVA will be tougher and tougher to sell.

Your definition of fan support will need to be defined. Fans sitting at home are still engaged and consuming the product, thus driving up advertising dollars, ratings, and the brand value that leads to growing Clemson sports.

I wholeheartedly agree. Plus, you don't have to deal with

Jul 11, 2012, 2:00 PM

dozens of people walking past you, while you are watching the game, to go multiple times downstairs. That is so inconvenient and RUDE. I bought a 55" HD TV with 3D capability last year and don't miss going to the games anymore. That was the best move I ever made and, I'm saving thousands of dollars annually.

I do have one regret: I should have bought a 60" TV; but the salesman talked me out of it. When I buy a pool table for my bonus room, I'm buying a 60" HD TV as well. Life is great!!!!!

Jul 11, 2012, 2:04 PM

It also has a little to do with the economy we're all dealing with.

Speaking entirely for myself....

Jul 11, 2012, 2:14 PM

As you pointed out, although it's getting better, television still does not come even remotely close to duplicating or capturing the appeal and the level energy and excitement of attending the games in person. I won't even get in to all of the pregame festivities that help make college football so great.

I will be there live like you live but there is no question the current economic climate has impacted ticket sales for live sporting events and Clemson has not been immune. However, I think the bigger reason is Clemson's putrid history playing game in the Georgia Dome.

It would suit me just fine if Clemson never played another game in the Georgia Dome EVER in any sport.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Agreee to an extent, however whipping Tenn sure was fun!***

Jul 11, 2012, 2:20 PM

Jul 11, 2012, 2:26 PM

Does no one else hate the CU ticketing system? I simply refuse to spend over $500 for tickets for the family and not know what I'm buying. If upper seats between the 40s are available I'd rather have those than be stuck in the last row of a lower corner - but you have no way to know the way the system is set up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kinda like insider trading...***

Jul 11, 2012, 2:56 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic