Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
First Post ... Question for Lexington Residents
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

First Post ... Question for Lexington Residents

Jul 10, 2015, 3:30 PM

Folks,

As a first post, I'd like to ask for some info. I'm retiring from active duty military service and moving back to SC after 20+ years. I have some opportunities in Charleston/Summerville area and in Lexington area. Bottom line here is ... no way I'm living in Columbia "behind enemy lines." But I have a few Clemson buds in Lexington who say its a good place ... enough orange to balance things out and not overwhelmed with SC fans. They seem to like living there. I'm looking for a decent place to raise a couple kids. About the only thing I don't want is SC fans in my face. I've followed this board off and on for years now just to keep up with events back home, and I get sense of how aggravating some of them have become. For Lexington resident Tigers ... insights, information, recommendations? What's the environment like from a family perspective, things to do, etc. Thanks in advance.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

By the end of this coming season...

Jul 10, 2015, 3:31 PM

you'll be able to live about any place and not see a USuCk fan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: By the end of this coming season...

Jul 10, 2015, 3:41 PM

Ha! Great point.

Re: First Post ... Question for Lexington Residents

Jul 10, 2015, 3:43 PM

Pick Charleston.

Jul 10, 2015, 3:47 PM

I'm leaning that way, although we'd live in Summerville (new development area.) I like the proximity to Charleston, Edisto, etc. Also like the Riverdogs ... big MiLB fan. But Lex does have the Blowfish, which would be a good one too. Reasons you'd not go Lexington?

You are former Marine?

Jul 10, 2015, 3:50 PM

I am. Got out in 2010. It's not so much reasons against Lexington (I was born and raised there) as reasons for Charleston.

Jul 10, 2015, 3:52 PM

If you got out in 2010, you were in during a rough period. Thanks for embracing the suck.

See you're in DC right now? I'm at the Pentagon ... well for another month or so.

Minor league ball is coming to Columbia when the Savannah

Jul 10, 2015, 4:10 PM [ in reply to Re: First Post ... Question for Lexington Residents ]

Sand Gnats move to the new stadium being built on Bull St.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Minor league ball is coming to Columbia when the Savannah

Jul 10, 2015, 4:14 PM

Yeah, that was an interesting thing to watch the last couple of years. But Sav had to know it was coming b/c the team felt they didn't have the support they wanted. I read that Cola courted them hard too ... but MiLB has failed in that city before, so we'll see. I might not go to those games, b/c they'll probably have a lovefest w/ the local university to draw local fans

Jul 10, 2015, 3:44 PM

Great place to live and raise a family. Very good school district. Nice lake. Real estate market is stable. Great hospitals. Yet far enough from that crap hole downtown. A lot of Clemson people.

Jul 10, 2015, 4:02 PM

Not a military veteran, but I have lived in Charleston and currently live in Lexington County because my kids are here. For me, Columbia can't hold a candle to Charleston. Lake Murray is nice, but still too close to Columbia to escape the smell, lol. Good Luck with your decision!

PS - Question for the folks... I attend Clemson Meetings occasionally in the area, but where are the Clemson hangouts and Clemson-owned businesses?

Jul 10, 2015, 3:55 PM

Both have their share of traffic problems, Chapin is far enough from cola and has lots of CU folks

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2015, 3:57 PM

I think I'd chose Charleston over Lexington......I don't live in either but have spent a lot of time in both.....have cousins who own the lake side of Lexington.....just too many buttwholes and too much traffic....all going to some fast food dump and thinking they are Marco Polo...Charleston is the same but at least you have the ocean and the beach......seafood and the good restaurants....CofC girls....pretentious buttwholes sure...but you can avoid them. Unless you are one yourself...which...being a military man.....is unlikely. Hope you find a place where you and your family are happy. remember....neighbors suck.....Hell is other people.

Jul 10, 2015, 4:09 PM

Charleston for sure. I grew up in Lexington. Even before the streak it was a pain in the rear. Too many SCAR fans then and way too many now. Cola metro sucks even though the lake is the best area. It still is not close to the upstate or coast. #thepiedmontsucks

Go with the Charleston/Summerville prospects. No better

Jul 10, 2015, 6:37 PM

place in SC. Some equal, but none better.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Jul 10, 2015, 9:00 PM

Congrats on your retirement - I just retired a couple of months ago (27 years in the Army).

Had family that lived in Lexington - loved Lake Murray and you will encounter some Clemson fans in the area, however there are an awful lot of coots running around and the community (restaurants and shops) seem to embrace USuC more than Clemson.

My senior year at Clemson (and all through OBC) I dated a girl from Summerville - definitely a Clemson town from my perspective!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2015, 10:54 PM

The schools in Lexington are great, especially River Bluff. Some people move to Lexington just because of that school.

I like living in Lexington except for the gamecocks.

Jul 11, 2015, 9:01 AM

I would not pick Lexington if I were you.

If the lake Murray ### broke and the ##### rebuilt in a place like Orangeburg....
Lexington would be perfect.

If you move to Lexington be sure you leave 45 minutes

Jul 11, 2015, 12:55 PM

early if you plan on being anywhere on time. Traffic is insane.

Also, invest heavily in bug spray...gnats, and prepare for the heat...today's high is 101.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic