Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Buzzer-Beater Breaks Clemson's Hearts At Duke
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 3,184

Jan 25, 2007, 9:47 PM

Unlikely last-second rally cut short by McClure's basket ahead of the buzzer, allowing the Blue Devils to escape with a 68-66 victory Thursday night at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Buzzer-Beater Breaks Clemson's Hearts At Duke

Jan 25, 2007, 11:13 PM

CHEATERS!!!!!! WATCH SPORTSCENTER. THEY BROKE IT DOWN. CLEMSON ALMOST BEAT THE OFFICIALS AND PUKE!

Re: Buzzer-Beater Breaks Clemson's Hearts At Duke

Jan 25, 2007, 11:30 PM

Yeh, there was actually like 2.6 seconds left!!!What tha hell?

Tell the WHOLE story if you're going to tell it . . . .***

Jan 26, 2007, 8:25 AM

More like Clemson gives game away

Jan 26, 2007, 8:27 AM

Doesn't matter how much time we had. The point was to STOP Duke from cutting through our D and not letting them score inside the paint. We lost it fair and square. And this article needs more stats and more heart into it. I know it's a loss, but don't post a half hearted write up.

Re: More like Clemson gives game away

Jan 26, 2007, 9:32 AM

They didn't give it away. The officials never spoke to the coaches and told them that the time would be at 4.4 seconds. Hence, Coach Purnell called a defensive play based on 1.8 seconds being left (all they have to defend is a half-court heave). The clock did not change to 4.4 until just as the ref handed the ball to Duke for the inbound. Clemson's defense on the final play would have been a different look if they had known there were 4.4 seconds.

Indeed, Clemson did miss some opportunities, but they played well enough to still win that game. The officiating was poor on several levels:
1) they reviewed the time on the clock for maybe all of 10 seconds.
2) As a result, they did not get it accurate (watch Sportscenter), there was less than 4.4 seconds, and seeing how the winning basket left his fingers with .1 or .2 seconds, ANY lesser amount of time would have lead to overtime
3) Even assuming there were 4.4 seconds left, Clemson possibly could have made a stop if they had been made aware of the change and schemed accordingly. It is an official's job (i.e. they get paid to) make coaches aware of any change in call, clock-keeping, or any other change in the perceived situation in an athletic contest. They failed and should lose their jobs in the ACC

Jan 26, 2007, 10:04 AM

You make some great points, but our guys DO need to play with a little more mean in them.

Jan 26, 2007, 10:38 AM

Agree with all of the above. That being said, I have never seen an important review that obviously could determine the outcome of the game handled so quickly and cavalierly by the officials. Usually we see endless replays in slow motion with the clocks on the screen, as appears to have been done later on ESPN. The decision to add almost 3 seconds to the clock was made absurdly quickly and without adequate consultation with the benches (or with the video replays, it seems). I was also disappointed that ESPN seemed so hell bent on getting to the snowmobile races that we didn't get any post game replay or anaysis of the end to speak of.

People have complained for years that in Durham and Chapel Hill you have to beat the other team, the crowd, and the officials. I've thought it was overdone at times (sour grapes) but this kind of incident doesn't do anything to dispel that notion.

Jan 26, 2007, 11:14 AM [ in reply to More like Clemson gives game away ]

I agree that we should have stopped them but there is no way in Hail that it was fair and square. Did you even watch the game? There should have been only two seconds left, not four. Without the other two seconds the game was going to overtime. Sometimes I wonder about the knuckleheads who post on here...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Inclassrightnow" you're a moron if you think...

Jan 26, 2007, 1:45 PM

"Inclassrightnow" you're a moron if you think it was fair and square"

I agree, how can you justify that clock management***

Jan 27, 2007, 6:05 PM

Replies: 10
| visibility 3,184
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic