Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Buzz Bombs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 2,575

Buzz Bombs

Dec 6, 2017, 1:44 PM

During the early part of WW2, German bombers were dropping conventional bombs over much of England. London was a prime target and had sustained considerable damage. Eventually the Germans developed the V-1., better known as the Buzz Bomb and Doodlebug. London and its environs were the main targets.

When our company arrived in England on our way to the continent, London was experiencing Buzz Bomb incidents on an almost daily and nightly basis. Our stay in England was of short duration but during that time we were issued overnight passes to visit London. The US Military had leased several hotels in London for housing military personnel. The hotel where we were assigned was near Trafalgar Square, an ideal location. Arriving in London, we were briefed on what to do if there should be a bombing raid. Bomb shelters were clearly marked and there was one close to our hotel. Entering the city by train and a short walk in the vicinity of our hotel, we witnessed the devastation due to previous bombings.

Part of our welcoming to London was information about the Buzz Bombs. Incoming bombs had a particular sound that was clearly detectable by the human ear. If it passed over our position and we could detect that sound, we were fairly safe. But, if the sound ceased, the bomb would soon strike whatever and wherever it landed. The bombs were not designed to hit a specific target but to cause considerable destruction and strike fear in the citizens.

We had just gone to bed when the air raid sirens began wailing. We jumped out of bed, put on our clothes and ran down the stairs to the lobby. Our intent was to get to the air rad shelter near the hotel but before we left the lobby, there came this terrific BOOM. The flash lit up the sky. Ambulances, fire trucks and first responders came speeding by with their sirens screaming.

We finally got the "all clear" signal and went back to bed. We chatted awhile about our first experience with a Buzz Bomb and hoped we would not be disturbed with another incoming Buzz Bomb. I can assure you we didn't get much sleep that night.

The next morning we walked down toward the area where the bomb had landed We were not allowed to get too close but what we did see was not a pleasant sight. We thought the war zone was on the continent but what we saw made us realize the war zone was right there in London. I hope and pray we will never experience such an event here in the United States.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joe that reminded me of a similar experience

Dec 6, 2017, 2:13 PM

While deployed in the Balkans in the 90s myself and two of my Lieutenants had just come of an extended shift in our command post and we had missed out on the mess hall Thanksgiving so on the old old Yugoslavian airbase where we were stationed we grabbed AAFES excuse for a pizza and took it over to this run down gazebo to have our own Thanksgiving feast.

No sooner had we started eating than the raid siren went off and we could vaguely see a few Bradley armored personnel carriers about a mile off start slewing their turrets and some black puffs against the snow followed by the crash of mortar explosions.

Some of the Muj or Serbs were doing their harassing attack which usually was 2-3 rounds but this time many more fell and started walking beyond the Bradley’s toward the buildings we were sitting outside of. Once they got to about 200 yards it started getting real. Pretty sure they were old Russian 82mm so we took cover behind The brick base of the gazebo but I was sure feeling silly with pizza in one hand and a Baretta in the other stuck in open ground.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks to both of you above! *****

Dec 6, 2017, 6:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can only imagine everything you've experienced in your life.

Dec 6, 2017, 6:34 PM

My life is easy because of your generation's sacrifices.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Mine too. Never had to do jack squat.***

Dec 6, 2017, 6:43 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Buzz Bombs... Superb, sir!

Dec 6, 2017, 8:22 PM
520849305.jpg(153.9 K)

Here's an image of one of those boogers...
Mean stuff.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 2,575
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic