Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What are the consequences of returning to school?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 531

What are the consequences of returning to school?

Jul 8, 2020, 2:11 PM

It can be done wisely, but I just saw where 30% of teachers are aged 50 or older.

My son is entering his first year of college at UNC-Charlotte. We believe that he'll be ok there. That is, right up to the point where the UNC-Charlotte 49's face Clemson this year.

That presents a perfect opportunity for a father to point and laugh at his UNC going son!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What are the consequences of returning to school?

Jul 8, 2020, 2:12 PM

I'm not worried about my kids, it's the teachers I'm worried about. What happens when half the teachers have covid?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

substitutes

Jul 8, 2020, 2:14 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: substitutes

Jul 8, 2020, 2:32 PM

And when half the substitutes have covid?

I dont think most districts keep many substitutes on hand. Maybe I'll apply lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your average age of substitutes is 100***

Jul 8, 2020, 3:17 PM [ in reply to substitutes ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

It will be done, and it will be different.

Jul 8, 2020, 2:18 PM

Right now we're in the strawman phase of the issue:

One side says, "They don't want the schools to open!", which isn't true.

The other side says, "They don't care about people's health," which isn't true.

The truth is, everyone wants the schools to open, and everyone cares about the health of students and staff. And the truth is that smart people will figure out a way to do it safely.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Many teachers don't want schools open until lower # cases***

Jul 8, 2020, 4:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2020, 2:18 PM

You realize that people of all ages have been working full time through all of this, right?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But working differently, in many cases.

Jul 8, 2020, 2:19 PM

I know I never stopped working, but it has been vastly different over the past few months. So will it be for schools.

My work has been a little different

Jul 8, 2020, 2:30 PM

people are working from home, they come in a couple times a week. Everyone wears masks at work, but I'm the worst about breaking the rules. I am a bad influence. I still meet with clients about like always. I make them wear a mask when they come to my office.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2020, 2:42 PM [ in reply to Re: What are the consequences of returning to school? ]

You realize that people of all ages have been working full time through all of this, right?

You are exactly right. We honor the doctors and nurses who fight to save people's lives, as we should. But I think that the lady in the grocery store, the guy stocking the pharmacy, the people who sit with masks all day at gas stations. Our food chain hasn't been disrupted because of very hard-working, risk-taking truckers and drivers that make sure food is available. They are all heroes too in my book.

I dunno. Childcare centers in Texas have had problems

Jul 8, 2020, 2:22 PM

but I'm not sure they're any different than the overall state. Something like 1300 cases, and 800-something were teachers and 400-something children. But there are 12,000 childcare centers in the state. So it's probably a reflection of the average community spread and not any more or less worse than whatever else.

My idea would be full time k-5 with precautions (mainly for the teachers). Kids 3rd and above wear masks, staggered times, keep classes together, etc.

Middle School I'd do hybrid. Half online, half in the class. Masks, etc. for precautions.

High school and college? Just don't see that happening in person.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My last kid just graduated from UNCC in May

Jul 8, 2020, 2:28 PM

sports was never on his radar. They don't really care much about sports there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My last kid just graduated from UNCC in May

Jul 8, 2020, 2:43 PM

That's very cool. Do you like that school? What degree did your kid pursue? Mine's going for Computer Engineering.

He was computer science

Jul 8, 2020, 5:07 PM

They have more jobs than students. I would imagine Computer and Electrical Engineering is the same.

It will prove Trump to be correct, and all

Jul 8, 2020, 2:31 PM

the liberal educators do not want that to happen.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

What does Karen Pence think?***

Jul 8, 2020, 2:45 PM

Jul 8, 2020, 3:10 PM

full PPE for teachers, not a problem

http://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/48MD71_AS01?$mdmain$

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He'll never survive.

Jul 8, 2020, 4:51 PM
DRBYAGE.PNG(84.6 K)

If he's over the age of 75. Otherwise, tell him to test at first sign of fever or any extraordinary fatigue. If he test positive have him ask for HCQ.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DJT will own every bad health outcome ...

Jul 8, 2020, 5:37 PM

For any student, teacher or staff in the upcoming academic year. The media including local media will pounce on every case. Social media and informal networks will magnify things including communication between mothers of school age children. From a political standpoint, the school reopening policy rollout is a disaster. It has to significantly hurt support with suburban moms and the education community.

Neither statistics nor objective analysis can overcome the initial horrendous communication where politicians are odds with medical professionals over the safety of children and teachers.

Biden can simply stay in his basement.

Re: DJT will own every bad health outcome ...

Jul 8, 2020, 5:45 PM

“Protect our children not monuments!”

Jul 8, 2020, 6:10 PM

“Teachers Lives Matter”. It is easy to tap into emotions with kids and school teachers.

Saying the CDC guidance for schools is too expensive was immensely foolish from a communication standpoint. Not having perfect alignment with the government’s medical expert was another error.

Not going to argue with your statistics or rational. However, it is much easier and more impactful to create a narrative based on feelings than logic.

Re: “Protect our children not monuments!”

Jul 8, 2020, 6:34 PM

I was an Engineer in a Fortune 100 Consumer Products Co.

Jul 8, 2020, 8:27 PM

for almost 40 years. Brand management, marketing, public relations and Wall Street image are what carry the day.

Engineers and accountants squabble over numbers that often are less impactful to decisions.

I still like looking at numbers and statistics. So yes death rate trends are encouraging.

Math is Racist, so we would be

Jul 8, 2020, 6:22 PM

exposing so many oppressed, unarmed, children to more oppression; we just should not open schools until this is fixed.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/04/racist-math-education/524199/

It’s being successfully done around the world

Jul 8, 2020, 7:03 PM

IMO right now it’s very clumsy messaging.

Jul 8, 2020, 8:33 PM

Policy and a huge PR campaign should have been targeting school reopening since before Memorial Day.

One team, Unite, sacrifice now, beat Covid and win in the fall!

He and most Republicans are all about

Jul 8, 2020, 8:41 PM

Jul 9, 2020, 11:49 AM

Much ado about nothing. Just look at the results in Scandinavia!! No problems at all. Also, the harm to children by keeping them home is far more serious than the chances of a few flu cases. Open the schools.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 531
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic