Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC lacks competent leadership...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,647

ACC lacks competent leadership...

Jun 8, 2015, 10:31 AM

When the SEC hired Mike Slive he was from the Big East which wasn't terribly successful but he was a good businessman. When you hire someone like Swofford who is a retread from one of the member schools, you cannot expect him to do much in terms of innovation.

I'm not a big SEC homer but I do like the fact that the conference isn't afraid to go out on it's own and try some new things.

1. SEC was the first conference to have O.T. The format worked and everyone else was doing it in a couple of years.

2. SEC was the first major conference in modern times to adopt divisions and have a championship game. Wildly successful most other conferences followed suit.

3. SEC network. Most of those on here hate it but that network is really and truly more about non-revenue sports. We get one or two football games a week on it and they're not great games. However, the coverage of the other sports really fills a need. That network will just get better and better.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But, the ACC has Raycom. You jelly?***

Jun 8, 2015, 10:33 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ACC lacks competent leadership...

Jun 8, 2015, 10:37 AM

SEC network may run strong and make money but folks are starting to stand up and demand that Cable and Sat companies stop bundling channels and forcing stuff down consumers throats. It has hit congress a few times and will change at some point. At that point the SEC won't have the huge deals because everyone will not want the network. In hindsight Swofford will look and continue to look like a ####### too because adding teams just for TV sets, PITT, BC and Syracuase will be a big waste bc no one cares about them there anyways.

On a side note how do yall feel about your QB situation with Richt adding a mediocre UVA quarterback to the mix?? Doubt he would have went there unless the job was close to being his right?

I don't disagree about bundling...

Jun 8, 2015, 10:51 AM

I would love to delete Bravo of Home Shopping Network 6 and get a few more sports channels. Conference networks are the least of the problems with bundling.

Seriously, have you ever watched the smoky mountain knife network? I came home late one night a little over-served and almost bought a 200 knife package. That's less than 50 cents per knife. Don't even start me on the Morgan Dollar collection offer. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there's great benefit to going outside if only for new ideas

Jun 8, 2015, 10:43 AM

so i'd welcome a new commish with a sound business focus.

slive though, made his bones as an attorney dealing on behalf of rogue programs. the sec was dancing with the devil in the pale moon light.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our current Commish has rogue ties , he was the AD

Jun 9, 2015, 12:34 PM

at unCHEAt when all the shenanigans started. The SEC only danced with the Devil, the ACC put a ring on it

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's one way to look at it.***

Jun 9, 2015, 12:45 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mike Slive did a great job. He changed college football.

Jun 8, 2015, 10:46 AM

He took a huge risk, but it paid off big time. I admire his business sense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't personally like Swofford, but I'm not so sure

Jun 8, 2015, 11:28 AM

Picking up UofL and ND (at least partially) were really big moves at a time when things were pretty dynamic. Most thought getting BC, VT, and Miami was going to be pretty big for football.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Frank Beamer, another legend that needs to be fired !***

Jun 8, 2015, 11:33 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i'd donate to the big turkey club

Jun 8, 2015, 12:02 PM

[light mayo, extree bacon], if they'd keep him.

Re: i'd donate to the big turkey club

Jun 8, 2015, 12:07 PM

replace the light mayo with deli mustard and I will concede that Swoffy wears Mike Slive underoos.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's your d@mn sammich, you have it any way you like it...

Jun 8, 2015, 12:09 PM

especially if you're picking up the tab?

Re: it's your d@mn sammich, you have it any way you like it...

Jun 8, 2015, 12:17 PM

I have no issues with that, meat me at the LAX airport bar...say...around 7:00Am your time.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i'd donate to the big turkey club- smoked bacon?

Jun 8, 2015, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Re: i'd donate to the big turkey club ]

on that club??

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1 Slive was commis at Conf USA not BE 2 Roy Kramer idea on

Jun 8, 2015, 12:52 PM

Champ game

3 Big 10 was first with it own network

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and OT was introduced in 1995 Bowl games

Jun 9, 2015, 12:21 PM

and subsequently all NCAA games in 1996 so not sure how SEC started this. And the PAC 12 was the 2nd conference to have their own network. SEC was 3rd. Not to mention Texas themselves had one before them. But why let any of the facts get in the way of any of his arguments. Perhaps he is just reciting the SEC Channel and their revisionist history.

but other than those three huge mistakes, he was spot on

Jun 9, 2015, 12:37 PM [ in reply to 1 Slive was commis at Conf USA not BE 2 Roy Kramer idea on ]

hahahaha

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,647
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic