Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
But seriously, all other power conferences now have TV
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1,457

But seriously, all other power conferences now have TV

Jun 21, 2016, 10:10 AM

networks-SEC, BIG 10, PAC 12, and now news of the BIG 12. Do you KNOW how bad it looks to be the small dog outside the circle?

Leadership is so missing at the top of the ACC.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you even Raycom, bro?***

Jun 21, 2016, 10:13 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Is that like the Gong Show Network?***

Jun 21, 2016, 10:14 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is that like the Gong Show Network?***

Jun 21, 2016, 10:18 AM

Don't dis The Gong Show.

Just sayin'

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is that like the Gong Show Network?***

Jun 21, 2016, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Is that like the Gong Show Network?*** ]

Not sure if related but @cutigerbob loves the Dong Show Network.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

The ACC = "The Settlers".***

Jun 21, 2016, 10:27 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The ACC = "The Settlers".***

Jun 21, 2016, 10:28 AM

When do we get a lick from the family lolly?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Tnet wont allow me to TU this post, but I want to.***

Jun 21, 2016, 10:32 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

That's right. We have Swoffie, our faceless doll.

Jun 21, 2016, 1:33 PM [ in reply to The ACC = "The Settlers".*** ]

And Swoffie has his blankee.

We don't need to worry about that

Jun 21, 2016, 10:37 AM

We're always on the major channels. ??

They do need to make the ACC network more than Raycom, though. How about HD, nationwide? That would help.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where are you seeing the Big XII is getting a network?

Jun 21, 2016, 10:42 AM

The Big XII allows each of its member institutions to keep it's third tier rights. That's why Texas was able to make the Longhorn Network (in partnership with ESPN) and Oklahoma has sold their rights to a Regional Fox Network.

The Longhorn Network reaps $15MM a year for Texas, despite the fact that ESPN is losing its shirt - no other Big XII content (including games in which Texas is playing) can be broadcast live.

Oklahoma is getting between $5MM and $7MM from their agreement, over the life of the deal.

Both are considered huge barriers to obtaining a full conference network, as their current agreements must be guaranteed. It's why the issue was tabled on June 2nd.

The PAC-12 Network is an abject disaster.

Jun 21, 2016, 10:56 AM

They can't get a carriage deal with DirecTV in any form - despite the fact that DirecTV is now an AT&T company, and AT&T signed a 10-year named sponsorship of the league. As a result, their content is precluded from being shown in most bars / restaurants in their footprint.

The network is only carried by one of the major cable networks in the Los Angeles market, and due to mergers that may be coming to an end.

And then they have a structuring problem: The PAC-12 Network is made up of one national network and 6 regional networks based on geographic pairs (Arizona/Arizona State, UCLA/USC, etc.). The problem is that cable providers won't pick up the full package of the national network and their regional network - instead, it is a chicken or steak choice. In doing so, even households that think they have the PAC-12 network can't watch the games - for instance the PAC-12 basketball tournament was shown exclusively on the National network, so if your cable company carried only the regional network, you had no access to the tournament.

The Big Ten went through the same process with their network, fighting the carriage issues with each cable provider, despite the fact that they have huge alumni populations that are passionate about college sports. And despite DirecTV's adoption on day 1.

And it needs to be said that the PAC-12 is a much better comparable to the ACC, with regards to their fanbase's appetite for college sports.

Well, right now a network seems to hinge on moving to 9

Jun 21, 2016, 10:59 AM

game league schedule, which either robs Clemson of a 7th home game every other year or forces us to drop Power 5 OOC games that don't include SCar or ACC.

So in order to get Wake Forest vs. NC State, vs. Syracuse, and vs. BC as ACC Network inventory, the league must reach out and take scheduling flexibility and a home date from the top teams.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not exactly.

Jun 21, 2016, 11:10 AM

The conference network would still have rights to non-conference games played on the home fields of conference members. The games would have to fall through the selection process for the various tiers of television rights contracts.

The main roadblock is carriage contracts. Specifically, the amount of political capital ESPN would have to exert in order to get a traditional network carried by each of the various cable outlets, in an environment of cord cutting / skinny bundles. Couple having just fought the battles for the SEC with the Longhorn Network's on-going operational losses... and your primary network partner to whom you bundled and sold all of your third tier rights has every reason not to pursue a network.

The loss of home and home OOC series is what I was

Jun 21, 2016, 11:32 AM

referring to. The only home and home Power 5 OOC Clemson will have moving forward with 9 games is SCar. That means one less Power 5 game played in an ACC host stadium every two years with Clemson (ditto for FSU, Ga. Tech, Louisville) for an ACCN to have access to. These happen earlier in the season as well, so opportunities to drive traffic from non-ACC viewers will take a big hit here. Neutral site locations, which lessen the financial hit some for the individual programs involved in order to keep quality play up, would not benefit a league network because of your very accurate observation about home field broadcast rights.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: But seriously, all other power conferences now have TV

Jun 21, 2016, 11:34 AM

And the networks are all losing money on them. This gravy train will not last.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the ESECPN network is part of why...

Jun 21, 2016, 1:27 PM

ESPiN is having financial problems. I know their reports say that the SEC channels are operating productively. I insist that it is dragging ESPN down.

I submit that the packaging of extra sports packages which force viewers to pay for the SEC channels in order to get access to other network 'extras,' is causing sports fans to have those packages removed from their packages from cable and other providers.

Almost all fans of schools not in the SEC can see their marketing of the SEC conference. They've shoved it down our throats until we were full then started pushing it up the other end.

Imo, I'd let this all sort itself out before I made an investment with ESPIN on a network enterprise. With a proper, state of the art setup I'd rather pay the ACC directly for internet provided access.

ESPiN and other networks will pay for our better games just the same.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1,457
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic