Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
To continue the Texas theme...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 496

To continue the Texas theme...

May 15, 2015, 1:46 PM

Back in August I posed the question about moving a long distance from your family. At the time it was just sort of a pipe dream, but it's taken a turn for the serious pretty quickly.

I've secured a teaching/Dept. Chair offer from a school in Fort Bend county Texas, southwest of Houston. My wife is also a teacher, and is close to securing one as well, we believe.

So long story short, we think in the next week we're going to have to make the decision to stick around South Carolina (I've got some possibilities in Charleston too, though at this point not as promising) or move 1100 miles away. We've got three kids who are in love with their grandparents. It'd be hard.

It'd also be $30,000 more per year gross family income than we currently make. No state income tax.

Tell me what to do. I'm going to need at least one person to call me a pu$$y for asking, one request for a picture of my wife, and one insult against teachers. Thanks.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At least you have 3 months of free time coming up to

May 15, 2015, 1:50 PM

pack and move.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey you #####, show us a pic of your wife on your

May 15, 2015, 1:50 PM

never ending summer vacation. You are going to be making so much more money that flying back once a month will be easy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Heavy breathing***

May 15, 2015, 1:52 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dude - if its better for your family - move to Texas

May 15, 2015, 1:53 PM

I made the move away from my family right after college and I've not looked back.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For the longest time we lived an hour from my in-laws

May 15, 2015, 1:58 PM

then moved to where it's now a 7 hour drive. Not quite the same, but the quality grandparent time my kids had was cut from about once every 3 to 4 weeks to once every 3 months or so. Depending on the age of your kids, it may or may not be too difficult.

When we made the move, our oldest was almost 6 1/2. She did not approve. Leaving Grandma and Grandpa, leaving all those kindergarten friends. Many times over the first four or five months she threatened to move back to where we came from.

For our then 3 year old. No big whoop.

Best advice I got was from someone who had a similar moving experience then again when his kids were older (i.e. teenagers and much more lippy). At that young of an age, they get over it pretty quick. They make new friends easily and move on with life. Teenagers, on the other hand, and as we all probably remember, are malicious, cruel and insensitive ######## and #######. Moving at that age can be a lot more difficult.

The relationship with the grandparents will survive if you work at it. Skype, phone calls, visits as often as is affordable (although I admit that a 7 hour drive is a lot easier than a 15 hour drive and a hell of a lot cheaper than 2 or 4 plane tickets).

Do what you feel is best for you and your family. The rest works itself out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

Have you thought about

May 15, 2015, 2:02 PM

run commuting to work in Texas?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Any suggestions on an all-in-one pouch to hold his keys,

May 15, 2015, 2:04 PM

Luna Bar, and IPOD while he's breaking in his new Saucony Triumph ISO's?

Re: Any suggestions on an all-in-one pouch to hold his keys,

May 15, 2015, 2:15 PM

I use this one, in charcoal. The spout locks up like a dolphins ########

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Was looking for something that I could strap around my waist

May 15, 2015, 2:17 PM

with 8 to 12 water bottle holders in it, so that people understand that I mean serious business.

for me, it was great living far away

May 15, 2015, 2:05 PM

.....until my dad got sick and my mom needed my help.

That was the call for me to move back. And I did as soon as I could manage.
Same thing has happened to some of my friends.

Your relationship with your parents/siblings, age and general health of them certainly need to be considered. It's rough when somebody has to go to the hospital or have surgery/treatments and you are helplessly sitting 1000 miles away. That's an awful feeling that $30,000 in the bank doesn't cure.

Parents are 62...

May 15, 2015, 2:06 PM

and in good health.

Aside from the shattered heart that they'll get if we move.

Maybe they can follow you once they retire?***

May 15, 2015, 2:07 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems like with your 5 months of paid leave, and your

May 15, 2015, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Parents are 62... ]

1%-er teacher salary, you could afford to just have a second estate near your parents and split time.

Maybe see what costs are to lease a private jet vs flying 1st class all the time.

TEACHERS ARE THE WORST SUB-SPECIES OF HUMAN ON THE FACE OF

May 15, 2015, 2:13 PM

THE EARTH, AND YOU'RE A UTERUS FOR ASKING.

As always, pics are available 24/7 on our Jounge 'Pics of Tigerdon81's Wife' private Facebook group.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is superbly done.****

May 15, 2015, 2:16 PM

I have a knack.

May 15, 2015, 2:19 PM

It comes naturally.

Thanks for noticing!

^^^^ SUCK UP! SUCK UP! TEACHER'S PET!***

May 15, 2015, 2:32 PM

I'M TAKING NAMES AND I JUST WROTE YOURS AT THE TOP OF THE

May 15, 2015, 2:34 PM

SHEET.

Hey, watch it, I was born in the Town of Uterus.

May 15, 2015, 2:21 PM [ in reply to TEACHERS ARE THE WORST SUB-SPECIES OF HUMAN ON THE FACE OF ]

I'm betting you came from Uranus. I never did like that #### hole of a town.

;)

YOU CAN'T SEE IT, BUT...

May 15, 2015, 2:23 PM

I'm nodding my approval. Not too shabby, Ben.

Our kids are grown and dad is 83....

May 15, 2015, 2:17 PM

I won't sugarcoat it; it's the toughest thing by far about being on Maui.

That said, make sure to budget in a couple of flights per year back home. If you can get your parents to do the same, it will be much less difficult. Go ahead and plan them as soon as you can, because there's something comforting about having that specific date home already laid out.

Anyway, that's the best I can do for you.

Btw, how 'bout a photo of your wife and female cousins? Teachers are da bomb. Both my parents were teachers, so I gots nothing bad to say.

Probably the biggest thing most people don't think about

May 15, 2015, 2:27 PM

when making a move like this is a source of weed. I understand you'll be closer to Mexico, but that isn't going to translate into easy access to high grade marijuana. You're going to have to find a new dealer, and as we all know, that's always a royal pain in the ###. You'll have to factor in paying $5-$20 over market value, depending on quantity, for a year or so until you prove to be a reliable customer, and that sketchy period when neither of you trust each other can be rough.

It's hard going from an established pipeline to not knowing where your next 1/8th is going to come from, but if you are determined to make this move, it's going to be something you have to overcome. You'll be in my prayers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Weed isn't addicting so it shouldn't really

May 15, 2015, 2:29 PM

be that hard.

Just because it isn't addicting doesn't mean you want to go

May 15, 2015, 2:35 PM

without it. Imagine if Blueberry Smoke or whoever your band is suddenly vanished, you wouldn't be very happy would you?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dirty Guv's are vanishing. I'll cope though.***

May 15, 2015, 2:36 PM

I bet you're seeking out other bands though, aren't you?

May 15, 2015, 2:39 PM

Tigerdon may have to switch from a sativa to indica, which is basically the same situation that you're in.

I never said I wasn't addicted to music though.

May 15, 2015, 2:42 PM

I'm actaully on your side with pot should just be legal. I do however find it laughable that people say it isn't addicting. Will going off it knock your #### it dirt like heroin or something? No. I liken it to people who are addicted to sugar.

Wait wait wait wait wait...wait.

May 15, 2015, 2:35 PM

If you weren't going to be tough enough to actually make this move, why did you waste anybody's time talking about it? #### all else, make the move, then deal with the other bumps as they come.

YOU CAN USE YOUR MASSIVE SUMMERS OFF TO FLY BACK HOME BECAUS

May 15, 2015, 2:38 PM

E YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORK ALL YEAR LIKE THE ACTUAL PEOPLE AROUND HERE THAT HAVE REAL JOBS.

*Greenr is the only family member who does not work in schools except my SiL who works part time.

Wife = Guidance Counselor
Brother = Teacher
Brother = Professor
Mother = Retired (asst. principal)
Dad = ######

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!! ! !!

May 15, 2015, 2:42 PM

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR DOESN'T COUNT.

At least, that's what I'm gonna tell our pal Rick tomorrow night BECAUSE I HAVE TO GO TO THE STUPID PROM AND HELP HIM AND MRS. TIG AT THE STUPID CHECK IN TABLE.

You're damntootin' I'm gonna have my flask.

Take Audie with you. Just because he is pretty

May 15, 2015, 2:44 PM

entertaining.

Pretty sure he'd sort YCHS out pretty quick.

May 15, 2015, 2:54 PM

And it WOULD make national news.

Prom patrol? Oh lawd. Select someone at random and kick them

May 15, 2015, 2:45 PM [ in reply to LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!! ! !! ]

out for having an inappropriate dress.

#ACCFTS

I think YCHS has had enough national news

May 15, 2015, 2:50 PM

for this week.

....said no one ever.***

May 15, 2015, 2:51 PM

#ACCFTS

I know I know I posted it. There is a wide difference in

May 15, 2015, 2:52 PM

such things you know.

30K is enough to fly back and forth a few times per year.

May 15, 2015, 2:44 PM

If the offer sounds good and the wife is on board, might be tempting.

#ACCFTS

But in all seriousness, Tigerdon81....

May 15, 2015, 2:57 PM

The Houston area is a real delight and one of the best places in the country to get murdered in.

But not where I would be moving....

May 15, 2015, 2:58 PM

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/fortbend/news/article/Sugar-Land-named-one-of-America-s-safest-cities-5138841.php

I would just have to get used to eating curry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/us/what-ethnic-diversity-looks-like-fort-bend.html

I telecommute to Houston.

May 15, 2015, 3:00 PM

You should do the same.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 40
| visibility 496
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic