Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Holy cow, guys!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Holy cow, guys!

Feb 16, 2020, 9:15 PM

With NC St losing, we're only a half game out of 5th!

Would you ever have anticipated that?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not bad for a rebuilding year with a lot of new faces and notable injuries.***

Feb 16, 2020, 9:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Not bad for a rebuilding year with a lot of new faces and notable injuries.***

Feb 16, 2020, 10:49 PM

I tell you Jk I have hated on BB some and with good reason on occasion other not so much but imagine if Trapp never tore his ACL where this team would be. Ofcourse maybe Dawes grew faster because of that but we would have atleast won a couple of those games we lost in 2019.

Re: Not bad for a rebuilding year with a lot of new faces and notable injuries.***

Feb 16, 2020, 11:01 PM

May have won a few more games true but that still doesn't account for the players giving effort like the Louisville game... Offense and defense was moving, cutting, scrapping for every ball... Then against WAKE, ND, and others they didn't have that intensity. Or were those just bad game plans?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 16, 2020, 11:14 PM

Not sure. Wake looked like a bad game plan to me. It was a different 2 3 zone they played from Cuse but still similar. We did nothing that we did against Cuse on O. ND was a pretty good game. We could have won just made some mistakes late and we didn't have Sims which obviously hurt. UVA was just a pathetic first half. We have been good in the ACC tho. If we had Trapp against VT we are above .500 right now imo. Ya never know tho ofcourse.

Feb 17, 2020, 8:39 AM

In the post-game vs. Wake, Coach B took full responsibility for the loss.

After being outplayed for much of the first game but then taking the lead late, Brad anticipated the same Man defense that Wake had played for 40 minutes. Or even some regular zone.

But Coach Manning rolled out a 2-3 Matchup zone that requires practice to perfect and even more practice to attack. There are no 'holes' in a MZ, because when the ball gets passed into a 'dead spot' the defense collapses on the ball in a designed rotation. That does create holes, but if offensive players haven't been taught where to look for those holes and make their cuts on time, they will either stand around watching or turn the ball over with imprecise passes--both happened a lot v. Wake.

Coach B said he hadn't spent enough time on the MZ in practice and had tremendous difficulty teaching it on the fly during the game.

On the radio broadcast, you could hear him yelling stuff like "that's not what we talked about", so I tend to believe him.

*I do not know much about the MZ and don't mean to project as an expert. Before Brad's comments, I only knew that John Cheney at Temple used to use a lot of no-name players to win a lot of low-scoring games with it. So I watched some videos to see what they were talking about. I'm still not 100% sure that 'I failed to prepare my team for it adequately' is a valid statement for a coach to make, but it is honest, and the MZ does require a time investment to prepare for. And considering how briefly our team has been together, Coach Manning probably anticipated we would be susceptible to it.

Feb 17, 2020, 12:09 PM

Yea we certainly looked lost and this explains a lot of why that was. Thanks for the post!

If this is a “rebuilding year”...

Feb 17, 2020, 5:03 AM [ in reply to Not bad for a rebuilding year with a lot of new faces and notable injuries.*** ]

What was last year???

Not being negative. Just curious. Did we skip a year or something?

If anything, I’d say the ACC is in a rebuilding year. Not too often a sub-.500 team can battle for 5th place.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If this is a “rebuilding year”...

Feb 17, 2020, 8:03 AM

we're only one game under .500. We can get there this Saturday. Fingers, eyes, legs and toes crossed!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The talk about the ACC being weaker is a bit misleading.

Feb 17, 2020, 10:21 AM [ in reply to If this is a “rebuilding year”... ]

There are certainly a few teams at the top and then everyone else, but I would argue that the bottom of the conference is stronger than it has been in previous years. There are no easy games this year for anyone. We have many examples this year of teams at or near the bottom of the conference beating teams ranked way ahead of them.

Call that "weak" if you want, but it's not like the SEC in football where there are several good teams at the top but also some really awful teams at the bottom.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: The talk about the ACC being weaker is a bit misleading.

Feb 17, 2020, 12:57 PM

Yep I agree. Wake has some dang good players and UNC is still talented and have beat some good teams out of conference. The ACC is still the ACC.

Nowhere did I use the word “weak”***

Feb 17, 2020, 4:19 PM [ in reply to The talk about the ACC being weaker is a bit misleading. ]

Re: Holy cow, guys!

Feb 16, 2020, 9:30 PM

Rw43 said:

With NC St losing, we're only a half game out of 5th!

Would you ever have anticipated that?

No, but I would not have anticipated UNC at the bottom either. It’s a very mediocre set of teams for the ACC this year.

We're under .500 and a half game out of 5th place

Feb 16, 2020, 9:50 PM

And we wonder why people say the ACC is weak this year

Re: We're under .500 and a half game out of 5th place

Feb 16, 2020, 10:56 PM

The Big 10 and Big East could certainly claim to be much better this year but that's about it imo. We only lost 8-6 in the ACC-Big 10 challenge so it's not like the ACC is horrible this year.

You don’t think the Big12 is much better than the ACC?

Feb 17, 2020, 12:05 AM

In Net Rankings the ACC is 6th behind the P5 + BE

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

And that's my point, the metrics, which do count

Feb 17, 2020, 8:12 AM

think the ACC blows this year. And us being 7-8 and just a half game out of 5th place seems to back that up

Re: And that's my point, the metrics, which do count

Feb 17, 2020, 8:43 AM

The ACC has depth tho. Our worst team beat Oregon, Alabama, and UCLA. Those teams are in the top half of their conferences. It is a down year on top but like BB said the ACCs worst teams are better this year. When UNC is your worst team you must be a pretty decent conference imo.

Which translates to deep mediocrity

Feb 17, 2020, 1:31 PM

Take a look at some of the OOC losses, even by teams like Duke. I'm not sure why it's so difficult to acknowledge that the league is as down as it's been in a while this year. It'll bounce back, probably next year

Re: Which translates to deep mediocrity

Feb 17, 2020, 4:54 PM

I agree the league is down but it is also deeper than ever imo. We are usually the 1st or 2nd best conference and now we are maybe 3rd or 4th imo. I do not think the Pac 12, Big 12, or SEC are better overall. I believe most conferences are pretty equal with the Big 10 being a little bit above and maybe the Big East a close second.

Re: You don’t think the Big12 is much better than the ACC?

Feb 17, 2020, 8:37 AM [ in reply to You don’t think the Big12 is much better than the ACC? ]

Oklahoma is their 5th best team and they are not very good. TCU is their 6th team and we beat them. Their top 4 is pretty good but not much different than the ACCs top 4.

The Big12 is currently 3rd in NET rankings

Feb 17, 2020, 9:50 AM

so the metrics that the selection committee claims to use for selecting tournament teams disagrees with you.

The BIG 12's top 4 teams, as of this morning, are ranked 2nd, 4th, 10th and 21st.
The ACC's top 4 teams are ranked 6th, 9th, 15th and 55th.

Oh, just in case you're interested...that 5th best Oklahoma team who is not very good is ranked 47th, which is ahead of the ACC's 4th best team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: The Big12 is currently 3rd in NET rankings

Feb 17, 2020, 12:12 PM

They may be ahead of UVA in NET but I believe UVA would beat them and I believe they would be favored to do so. I have watched both teams play multiple times. Ofcourse the metrics mean something but not everything. We were ranked way higher in the NET than Arizona St last year but look who the commitee thought was the better team. Guess they know nothing about basketball since they didn't agree with the NET.

Correct, the committee made it clear that

Feb 17, 2020, 12:42 PM

NET ranking isn't everything and a team still has to have some really good wins, which we were lacking last year. Oklahoma has some nice wins this year, including beating WVU. UVA has had some nice wins too.

But the fact that you're comparing the ACC's 4th best team to the Big 12's 5th best team proves my point. The Big 12 is a better conference this year.

But aren't the records a result of all teams

Feb 16, 2020, 11:33 PM [ in reply to We're under .500 and a half game out of 5th place ]

being really good and beating up on each other.

I'm new to conference allegiance, so tell me if I'm doing it wrong.

Re: But aren't the records a result of all teams

Feb 17, 2020, 6:53 AM

No. That only happens in SEC football, which makes all the teams great.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 16, 2020, 10:22 PM

That’s a bit like UofSuck bragging about winning the ACC in 1969 when there was not a single other team over 0.500 that year.

Those 5th place rings will be mighty sweet though.

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Feb 17, 2020, 1:33 AM

LOL at the TD. Sorry Mrs. Brownell.

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Feb 17, 2020, 5:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Holy cow, guys! ]

Don’t order the rings yet! Not only are we 1/2 game out of 5th place, we are also 1/2 game out of tumbling all the way down to 11th place! The ACC is a huge log jam of mediocre this year, but the next few weeks should be fun seeing how it all finishes up.

Nope. But the team didn't give up.***

Feb 16, 2020, 11:49 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Nope. But the team didn't give up.***

Feb 17, 2020, 5:30 AM

Cinderella time! Sneak in the back door and taking it all that's my prediction. Gotta have a dream.

On a larger scale

Feb 17, 2020, 2:02 PM

The ACC is having a down year in football AND basketball. any theories as to why ?

and NCSU still has Duke twice, FSU, UNC, Pitt, and wake left

Feb 17, 2020, 2:16 PM

they have at least for sure 3 losses left. And the UNC game is at Chapel hill. So that one is a toss up.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic