Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So what’s going on with Va Techs recruiting? Saw they only have
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

So what’s going on with Va Techs recruiting? Saw they only have

May 10, 2019, 8:44 AM

2 or 3 commits right now. Is something going on with the staff or what?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sold that Fuentes is a good recruiter

May 10, 2019, 8:47 AM

He's kinda like Brownell in that he prefers transfers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Something is definitely going down at VT. I'm curious

May 10, 2019, 8:59 AM

to see how the next few months unfold for them

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Fuente is also competing directly w/ Bronco at UVA

May 10, 2019, 9:01 AM

and they're improving while VT is not. I'm wondering if there isn't some kind of rift between Fuente and Bud Foster. Maybe Bud thinks he should be HC and Fuente doesn't like it. That kind of stuff manifests itself in poor results.

If Bud wanted to be a HC he would be one already

May 10, 2019, 9:53 AM

There may be a rift, but i don't think it has anything to do with Bud wanting the gig there.

I don't necessarily believe it's as simple as if Bud wanted

May 10, 2019, 10:44 AM

to be a HC he would be. He's been passed over before and the word at the time was he was too difficult a personality and also other schools thought he would just be using them as a stepping stone to get back to VT as HC.

I did a little research and the reason Fuente got the job over Bud was because VT admin thought they needed an offensive overhaul. Fuente would bring that and obviously Bud knows nothing but defense, and that's passing him by, too. To soothe any butthurt they basically made Bud untouchable and Fuente agreed to it.

Regardless, it's a situation where I'm saying 'Glad that ain't us'.

Re: So what’s going on with Va Techs recruiting? Saw they only have

May 10, 2019, 9:08 AM

Well, VT has never really recruited at a high level. They have always been a development school, at least under Beamer. I don't think JF has been as successful. Does anyone follow any of the the hokie forums? My perspective is that, VT is just a raging dumpster fire but the fans are oddly patient. They have a DC that does not know how to plan for, tackle, or prevent modern offensive scheme... clueless about a mobile QB. A HC that is loosing a locker room IMO, and their recruiting (while never amazing) isn't doing so hot even by Beamer standards. Worse, UVA might be doing better.

Not really true about their historical recruiting

May 10, 2019, 9:46 AM

They were never elite, but they were really good at locking down that Tidewater VA area (Vick, Chancellor, etc) under Beamer. Ton of talent comes out of there, believe Tajh and Ferrell are notable Clemson guys from there.

Rumors are that Fuente and Bud don’t get along but that Foster is untouchable and cannot be fired. Seems to be a very strange situation with so many guys transferring out the last 2 years that were in line for starting snaps.

Re: Not really true about their historical recruiting

May 10, 2019, 12:07 PM

Yeah, they would take a top 20-30 group and make them top 10. Tajh is from Hampton but Clelin is from my home town of Richmond. Still, I was watching the intro to a PedState game and about 1/2 of the skill players were from Va, mostly NoVa but still. "Bleaksburg" might be a harder sell for a DC kid but VT should not be losing out considering the success they had during the current crop of players.

But losing to ODU might speak to the recruits instate.

I know they sold the "everything is fine" between the two but you saw the daggers last year. Giving up 31ppg was absurd for Bud. Only a few teams gave up more points and most of those had to play against Clemson. The other odd part was that it wasn't any one category that was wrong, but rather VT was worse than the sum of its parts. The offense wasn't bad but the defense could not tackle a hole in the ground.

VT: Points: 29.8
VT Points against: 31

Worse, they were being blown out. ODU 49 points, ND 45 points, GT 49 points, Pitt 52, Miami 38 points. So I get why the offense is transfering because while they were not *great* they were pulling their weight and they knew the D would not change.

PSU and OSU have been hammering VA in recruiting

May 10, 2019, 12:15 PM

VT’s defense was also super young last year. They lost a ton of contributors to the NFL then to transfers/dismissals so they started a lot of freshmen. Would expect that to improve some this year but don’t think it will be monumental.

They appear to be in a tailspin between their on field struggles to all the departures. Can’t think that Fuente is going to last very long.

Re: PSU and OSU have been hammering VA in recruiting

May 10, 2019, 3:22 PM

VT defense was young, worse, they were not very deep. but they were not just making youthful mistakes. They were not tackling well (both a cause of inexperience as well) and were often not set very well. They were be obliterated even when they knew what was coming (see Pitt). They were shallow and outcoached. ODU, ND, GT -lesser extent, BC, Miami, Virginia, and even Cincy all poured on the points in the 2nd half.

But here is the other side. Last year VT would give up only 14 points or allow 40 points. That has been a common theme with Bud's D for a while. Either they are lights our or they give up 35+ to ECU in a loss. See UT in 2016, Clemson in 2011. In comparison to BV's greatest strength, Bud can't make adjustments very well against a lot of spread teams and mobile QBs. Add that to an inexperience team, it is lethal. When Bud can line up a powerful D front, then it isn't bad but still fails when the other team has talent on offense. It is almost Tommy Bowden like (unfair to Tommy here) as you know within the first quarter how the game is going to end because there is a lack of an ability to adjust.

Bud = Kevin Steele at Clemson***

May 10, 2019, 3:38 PM

Tony Elliott will be

May 10, 2019, 9:23 AM

VTs next head coach in 2 years if they keep this up.

Fuente had a mass exodus of players this yr

May 10, 2019, 9:26 AM

i suspect he's not very well liked.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two straight seasons of mass attrition and many, many

May 10, 2019, 9:55 AM

transfers. Something is definitely amiss there, but i haven't heard any scuttlebutt as to what it is.

If it ain't broke don't fix it

May 10, 2019, 10:13 AM

The world is a better place when that program is the dumpster fire their classless crappy fans deserve.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I lived in Roanoke for 4 years and will second this

May 10, 2019, 10:31 AM

they are a mix of Georgia fans, think they have history they do not, and redneck Gamecock fans.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 10, 2019, 10:53 AM

This is karma for putting for putting our band in the upper corner of their stadium in 2017.

Or their crappy fans screaming out their stupid

May 10, 2019, 11:22 AM

hokie chants during the playing of our alma mater, in our stadium, immediately after our band played their alma mater out of respect following the VT shooting.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Or their crappy fans screaming out their stupid

May 10, 2019, 11:35 AM

My experience with their fan base has been wonderful. I’ve been to multiple games and Lane Stadium, this last time on three different occasions Hokie fans came up to us, welcomed us, asked us how the ride up was and said they loved having Clemson visit. This was while we were opening up a large can of whoop a$$ on them. And this was in the cheap seats! Good folks n good country on that I-81 corridor in Virginia. Now when you dip down into Tennessee things change, but I have had wonderful experiences with the Hokies in Virginia, South Carolina and Georgia for decades. Good bunch of folks.

They may act decent in face-to-face interactions, but...

GWP is right. When they act as a group, they are complete garbage. No class whatsoever.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So much fake news here.

May 10, 2019, 11:47 AM

1. Their fans are nice - been to their stadium 2x and never had any problems. Really nice people. Former military school with focus on agriculture and engineering - sound familiar?

2. Stop with the “they have no history” nonsense. Their all-time winning % is in the same neighborhood as our %. There stadium is one of the great venues in the sport.

3. Up until 2015, they had played in the same number of National Championships as us. There is such a big recency bias amongst our fans these days. Never, ever forget where we came from. It hasn’t always been like this at Clemson - not even close actually.

4. We have probably never produced a singular NFL talent on the same level as Bruce Smith.

We are still better than they are, we are better than everyone as far as I am concerned, but stop with the false narratives about their program. They are not all the different than us historically.

GO TIGERS!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Actually YOU are way off base. VT not even in the same stratosphere as Clemson.

May 10, 2019, 12:06 PM

Those #### facts - always ruin a good story dont they?

http://www.winsipedia.com/clemson/vs/virginia-tech

Re: Actually YOU are way off base. VT not even in the same stratosphere as Clemson.

744 wins for Tech vs 744 wins for us. 61.4% wins (ranked 23rd) for us 60.8% wins (ranked 24%) for them.

The only real difference is that they were left out of the initial ACC creation and *missed* their NC chance against a FSU squad in '99.

They are a plucky non-blueblood program. Very few losing seasons but they just do not have that "breakout" win it all years.

They are close but the "no trophy" close.

Try again.

May 10, 2019, 1:20 PM

Your only argument is they have the same #wins (will change dramatically over next few years) and similar win %. Yet not an apples to apples comparison since we didnt play in the same league for most of the programs history. The glaring differences show up in poll rankings, post season play and draft day which is the truer determining factor of a programs success or lack thereof.

Re: Try again.

May 10, 2019, 2:22 PM

Well the post that you responded to and called "way off base", made the claim "Their all-time winning % is in the same neighborhood as our %."

Success is now determined by

May 10, 2019, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Try again. ]

The polls and in the draft? Guess the SEC never loses a national championship then. That’s a terrible argument.

Re: Success is now determined by

May 10, 2019, 3:20 PM

Convenient you left off the part where i said post season play. Nice try though.

The longest bowl streak in the country

May 10, 2019, 3:39 PM

Doesn’t qualify as postseason play?

May 10, 2019, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Try again. ]

If you think about it, from 2011 onward we separated ourselves from them but before that, they had more wins and better winning percentage. So until recently, our history was very much identical. Stop trying to put them down as I like VT and hope they do well. I don't hate them like some.

May 10, 2019, 3:07 PM

Can you compare our programs before Beamer? I don't think so.

Re: Actually YOU are way off base. VT not even in the same stratosphere as Clemson.

May 10, 2019, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Actually YOU are way off base. VT not even in the same stratosphere as Clemson. ]

Ouch! You burned him!!!!

...oh wait

Sorry but #4 is fake news ...

May 10, 2019, 1:09 PM [ in reply to So much fake news here. ]

Take your pick:

Brian Dawkins / Refrigerator Perry > Bruce Smith

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We can throw Michael Dean Perry in there, too. He was every

May 10, 2019, 1:42 PM

bit as good as Bruce Smith.

Kids just don’t appreciate Metallica songs anymore.***

May 10, 2019, 12:16 PM

Old Dominion must be poaching all their croots!***

May 10, 2019, 1:25 PM

May 10, 2019, 2:53 PM

I think VT fans have fallen on dark times, think mid 90s us. That is where they are at.

May 10, 2019, 3:08 PM

They are not there, yet. It could go that direction.

May 10, 2019, 3:05 PM

They're just waiting til our class is full so all their recruits are not belong to us .

DB23

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic