Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Information on the Guardian helmet covers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,494

Information on the Guardian helmet covers

Aug 3, 2013, 3:21 PM

http://guardiancaps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2

I'd like to see more testing done on this helmet with temperatures, etc. I know that wearing a kevlar helmet, any little bit of weight matters (ie. adding Night Vision Goggles with the mount, lights, or even something as small as eye protection goggles). Considering that the helmets weigh 4-5 lbs. and that the helmet covers weigh a little more than 1/3 lbs., you'd figure it wouldn't be too much of a difference (increasing the weight by 8-10%). Also, I'd love to see if adding the weight builds muscle rather than straining necks toward injury. If this is the case, I can't see this as a bad thing.

All I know is if I haven't worn my kevlar for a little while and then I wear it for an extended period, I have the same neck soreness. My kevlar weighs 9 lbs. and the addition of NVGs will add almost 1 pound to the extreme front of the helmet.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Information on the Guardian helmet covers

Aug 3, 2013, 3:30 PM

They do neck exercises as part of warm ups ever practice. The players always have a sore neck at the beginning of the season. This why you will see coaches not let players remove there helmets during practice to get use to having them on.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Guardian website has it's weight as 7oz.

Aug 3, 2013, 4:26 PM

http://guardiancaps.com/the-guardian/

Bubble Wrap = Soft***

Aug 3, 2013, 6:31 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The danger of neck injury is in the friction not the weight

Aug 3, 2013, 6:32 PM

Friction from the material creates resistance and causes torsion of the neck.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=14136125#14136125

This sort of thing was tried back in the 1960s with poor results.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

read their Web site, killa***

Aug 3, 2013, 7:15 PM

Reading...

Aug 3, 2013, 7:16 PM [ in reply to The danger of neck injury is in the friction not the weight ]

Will the soft outer shell create more friction and torque the player’s head and neck upon impact?
This is a common rebuttal based on soft-shell products of the past. POC Ventures has designed against this in the development of the Guardian. We have designed the outer layer out of engineered fabrics with low Coefficient of Friction (0.27u Static and 0.23u Kinetic). The current Polycarbonate shells have a CoF of 0.31u (lower is better). In addition, the Guardian is not permanently attached to the helmet. When you have a glancing hit from another helmet, shoulder pad, ground, etc. the Guardian moves tangentially with the force.

Re: Reading...

Aug 3, 2013, 9:00 PM

Okay. Sounds very scientific. But, meanwhile players who have worn football helmets since they were 8 years old are suddenly having neck issues this fall. Glad to know the manufacturer is at least thinking about it in the design.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,494
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic