Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bryant: One hit wonder or a sign of things to come?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Bryant: One hit wonder or a sign of things to come?

Nov 17, 2013, 11:13 AM

What say you? Does Bryant keep his momentum going, build on it, and blow up against SCAR, or at least be a reliable target? Or was it a one time thing?

He certainly has the talent to do what he did to GT every night.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Other than some early season, just plain "drops", I think

Nov 17, 2013, 11:19 AM

that he's be fairly solid, when the ball was thrown his way. Just MHO.

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Other than some early season, just plain "drops", I think

Nov 17, 2013, 12:15 PM

I agree. He has been living in the shadows of 2 NFL 1st round picks (Nuk last year and Sammy this year), so his light didn't get as much chance to shine. Granted, he had a bad game at ugay, but he has been pretty spot on since. I think he has the confidence now to go along with his skills. If he can find the confidence and dependability, he will be a force to be reckoned with.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bryant: One hit wonder or a sign of things to come?

Nov 17, 2013, 11:22 AM

I think its progress. He has a confidence about him he didnt have earlier in the year. Him and Mike Williams both look ready to play now. It will open Sammy up more the rest of the year and it allowed Morris to add some protection for Tajh in the pocket.

I see Bryant bringing his A-game from here on out...

Nov 17, 2013, 11:23 AM

Building his stats for this year's draft. I certainly hope he shows out.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Tahj lost confidence in him earlier this year

Nov 17, 2013, 11:24 AM

It seems to be back

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think he will ever be the most reliable target but

Nov 17, 2013, 11:24 AM

I don't think he will ever be the most reliable target but I think he will keep improving and have a few games like against Tech.

i still don't like the way he catches the ball. He doesn't ###### it aggressively - the ball still comes very close to his body on catches which I think gives the defenders more of a chance to knock it out.

I have high hopes for Mr. Williams. Seems like Mike does have some issues with being in the right place sometimes but I think he has a great set of hands and is the total package.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sammy's never dropped a Pass?

Nov 17, 2013, 12:30 PM

Just asking because I've witnessed it on more than one occasion.

All receivers drop passes.

Nov 17, 2013, 1:13 PM

It just seems that it takes Bryant a while to secure the ball. Maybe it is the long arms.

As far as securing the catch, I'd put him - in no particular order - at least fifth after Watkins, Peake, Humphries, and Williams.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He has stepped up the last several games and

Nov 17, 2013, 11:25 AM

Much improved since the NC state game. Does he get to the same level of play as Sammy or Nuk? I'm not quiet convinced of that yet. With that being said I think Mike Williams is a lot further along at this point in his career than Bryant was his freshman season. I look for Williams to be a consistant target for a few years pending the QB play.

Eh? This season he has about 35 touches and 700 yards.

Nov 17, 2013, 11:26 AM

Where is the one hit wonder in all that?

He had some early drop-the-ball jitters, but after than his numbers have only improved.

No one we played ever really took him as a threat

Nov 17, 2013, 11:52 AM

until Thursday night. Once that happened, the offense blew up.

We need that to happen more consistently.

2 TDs against NC State might qualify him as a threat to

Nov 17, 2013, 12:04 PM

their coaches. You might be right that most coaches focused on Sammy. But that is the wise thing to do.

More than once this season we've punished that strategy with Bryant making some big plays. Not a lot of plays. But big ones. His yards per for example is the best of all the receivers I think. By the time GT rolled in, they had plenty of tape to show how we played Bryant off of double coverage on Sammy and won that battle. I'll give you that.

I'm almost certain all coaches were aware of Bryant.

Nov 17, 2013, 12:08 PM

But Bryant hadn't come through consistently all season. That's what I'm getting at. He has big plays, but that was it. Against GT, he came up with some incredibly, frankly Nuk-like catches. That's what we've been waiting on. He finally, consistently took advantage of all the attention Sammy got.

Can he keep it up? I certainly hope so. Hopefully the light has come on.

Definitely his best game. But the size of GT backs

Nov 17, 2013, 12:18 PM

may play a role. I agree with others here who think Bryant has room to improve on his ball handling technique - he's not one to grab it from space like Sammy or Williams.

I just don't see how this game was anything more than his best so far and certainly not proof he is or isn't a one hit wonder. His numbers overall have been stellar, with a glitch here and there. This was only his third game where he was targeted enough to prove his ability. Humprhies and Sammy have been the usual targets - at least in attempts and catch counts.

Let's see how he performs at the end of the month. His height will certainly come in handy.

Nov 17, 2013, 11:57 AM

needs to learn to catch the ball away from his body, biggest knock on him.

and he does not get a lot of opportunities when boyd is getting harassed in the pocket.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He'll be good from here on out, Pitty he didn't

Nov 17, 2013, 12:02 PM

seem to really work at it until it got time for him to leave.Yes he's leaving and that's why he's finally doing something. Up until now he's been an under achiever. At least he'll help Yard Stomp the Yard Birds before he leaves.

There's been nothing wrong with Bryant or

Nov 17, 2013, 12:28 PM

any of the other receivers. Tajh is fixated on Sammy this year and doesn't throw the ball to any of them on a regular basis.

True on fixation on Sammy, but he's thrown to Humphries

Nov 17, 2013, 12:35 PM

a bunch, too.

sure about that? last i heard clemson leads the nation in

Nov 17, 2013, 1:16 PM [ in reply to There's been nothing wrong with Bryant or ]

# of different offensive players to have scored a touchdown.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: sure about that? last i heard clemson leads the nation in

Nov 17, 2013, 4:09 PM

Yes, last season it was Nuk.

I think the tragedy of this season has been not targeting him more

Nov 17, 2013, 12:28 PM

His "drops" were almost all well defended balls. He could have been doing what he did on Thursday almost every game this season. He is a threat to take the top off a defense every play.

Nov 17, 2013, 12:41 PM

Would love to see him catch with his hands but what a turnaround from earlier in the year. Probably our biggest deep threat ever when you talk about yards per reception in a career. ACC speed.

don't forget he caught

Nov 17, 2013, 12:57 PM

A nice TD pass against BC but it got called back. If he comes back next year he should def be our #1 target

IF he comes back (unlikely?), it will be interesting

Nov 17, 2013, 1:41 PM

to see him and Williams battle it out for top receiver. Williams seems to have the better hands - he can reach over and pluck as good as Bryant. But he also seems to have a knack like Sammy or Nuk to clutch it out of the air like picking fruit too.

Martavis will have bigger NFL than Clemson Career

Nov 17, 2013, 1:43 PM

He has been an enigma at Clemson. He has had some issues with Chad & Dabo. Whether issues were result of route running, maturity, class attendance, or all of the above. (Does anyone know the story?), IMHO he will not return to Clemson for his senior year. New QB. Too often in the coach's dog house. He has spent more time on bench for whatever his coach-perceived immaturities have been in the past, than Sammy spent for driving around campus smoking weed. And from the posts of many T-Netters, he is not as appreciated as he could be or should be. You want 2 TD's a game - throw him the ball and get out of the way. That simple. His speed and yds after catch are ridiculous and the NFL will take advantage of those skill sets. He has been out of H.S four yrs and should smoke the combine.

Sammy is a great one and with continued work ethic (not present last year by his own admission) will deservedly be a Top 10 pick. If NFL teams are smart, they will take Martavis in the 3rd or 4th round next year. He has as much or more upside than Ellington - another of my favorites who has proven quickly he has NFL starter talents. I like Tajh in 2nd round; he has NFL starter capabilities, but again, I believe Martavis has more NFL upside that will become evident in years 2-3.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's not a big challenge, as this is the only significant

Nov 17, 2013, 2:01 PM

year for him in stats.

But if he chooses to test the draft, there is no doubt some teams will be interested, head case or not. It's just not clear how interested they will be. But given what I've heard about his situation, he'd probably take a late round, average contract just to start providing better for his family.

They way Dabo and Morris have been recruiting WRs I think they have planned for Bryant to move on anyway. And it may be a reason why he hasn't been more of a key target in play strategy until now.

I can't believe anyone is talking 'headcases,' without...

Nov 17, 2013, 2:24 PM

including Tajh.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Confidence problem. Not a headcase. I don't recall

Nov 17, 2013, 2:27 PM

Tahj ever getting into it with coaches or behaving badly on campus. He's a pretty straight arrow off the field, so I read.

Bryant looks more like a Bellamy than a Boyd.

Hard to say. His technique isn't great as he uses his body

Nov 17, 2013, 1:47 PM

to secure the ball most of the time whereas a guy like Sammy can just ###### the ball with his hands. This has several negatives impacts.
1) It brings the chest pads into play and the ball can bounce back out on harder thrown passes
2) It takes longer to secure the ball
3) It brings the defenders hands into play. A couple of Bryant's big drops early in the season were due to him struggling to secure the ball down around the chest area instead of high-pointing and catching with his hands, and the DB was then able to get his hands in and break the play up.

All that said he has tremendous size and speed, and didn't seem to struggle catching the ball TH night. Technique is a hard thing to correct quickly though. It's not like he's just making mental mistakes or taking his eyes off the ball, he has a fundamental physical flaw that will take some time and effort to correct.

He doesnt have much time left, he is a Jr.

Nov 17, 2013, 2:48 PM

Things to come better happen now from here on out. He has all the potential to be a top 10 draft pick next year but he needs to come back for his SR year and put up an epic season. His consistency is his biggest and only fault right now. he shouldnt be dropping balls like he did earlier in the season. Good to see hes corrected some of that.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rumor is his decision will be based on family and not

Nov 17, 2013, 3:01 PM

best chances for highest round pick. Two kids and all that.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic