Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bryant Needs To Start
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Bryant Needs To Start

Sep 6, 2018, 12:11 AM

I know I'm beating a dead horse here.

But the entire world of college football has a target on our back, especially the SEC. The SEC has this vendetta over Clemson, because they know we can take down their daddy Bama. We make them look bad season after season beating the Coots, Georgia, A&M, Bama, etc...

Which is why I am nervous about TL playing in this game against A&M. We've had a flawless past three seasons, and I get the nervous feeling that it's only a matter of time until someone gives us a scare, especially at the beginning of the season. We're virtually the same team as last year, although under TL, I'm just worried that any freshman mistakes will give A&M an edge we don't want them to have. Kyle field is gonna be sold out with 100k people on top of that. I'm not saying TL isn't up for the job. I'm just saying I've seen KB take this team into big away games before and win. I don't want any room for error for this game. After that though, hand him the reigns.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are not at all the same team as last year...

Sep 6, 2018, 12:14 AM

Do you even follow graduation and depth charts???

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We are not at all the same team as last year...

Sep 6, 2018, 12:21 AM

Much of our offense is very similar. Cain, Fuller, and MCCloud are gone, but we return solid, experienced replacements. In that sense, I think our offense is very similar to last year.

Sep 6, 2018, 12:36 AM

Our offense is much improved from last year & A&M defensive cor. isn't known to be a master mind like Coach V.
I think A&M defiantly have talent & speed. But they're not very deep & they're under new systems that they're not experienced in yet. I'm not saying we'll blow them away (would love nothing more than to). I just believe we're a much deeper & more balanced team than last year & you'll see quit a few additional plays that wasn't ran against Furman.

Plus our Defense will EAT & EAT well!!!

Go Tigers!

Sep 6, 2018, 12:38 AM

If KB is our QB we are playing defense as out strength no turnovers and be a game manager and win

Sep 6, 2018, 12:43 AM

Cannot argue with that! Although he is a heck of a runner, I'll never take that away from KB!

Uhh he might not be Venables, but Mike Elko is very, very

Sep 6, 2018, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Re: We are not at all the same team as last year... ]

highly regarded.

Sep 6, 2018, 1:25 AM [ in reply to Re: We are not at all the same team as last year... ]

Know what else is similar? A QB that hasn't scored more than 1-2 TD's a game... Want to name which Furman game QB that matches that played in the first 3 quarters?

Sep 6, 2018, 7:29 AM

Bryant played the first quarter and Lawrence played the second quarter so I'm not sure who you are talking about that played the first three quarters against Furman

Re: first 3 qtrs

Sep 6, 2018, 9:15 AM

In other words, he's not talking about Chase, who was relegated to Kelly's 2016 fourth quarter mop-up role, though Chase actually passed when the play called for it.

Re: first 3 qtrs

Sep 6, 2018, 9:43 AM

^ Bingo.

Re: Bryant Needs To Start

Sep 6, 2018, 1:46 AM

Fyi , Kelly will start this game... Only because he has the big road environment experience. It doesn't mean he is the better guy, it means he's the one you'd feel more comfortable testing the initial game with. He's proven, Trevor hasn't played this big of a game in college... Always ease them in. But don't underestimate it... There are some people that can sink when you throw them in water the first time, then there are some that natural instinct kicks in and can swim when you thought they couldn't. Try showing some faith in your coaches when they recruited the #1 QB in the nation some said is the best recruit they've ever assessed. The Furman game stats comparison of the 2 QB's have rightfully already started silencing some doubters... The ones with their eyes open at least.

or it could mean the coaches think he is the better guy

Sep 6, 2018, 8:51 AM

Furman Paladins vs. Clemson Tigers Summary and Team Stats - September 1, 2018 Gametracker - CBSSports.com
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/gametracker/summary/NCAAF_20180901_FUR@CLEM/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: or it could mean the coaches think he is the better guy

Sep 6, 2018, 9:56 AM

..or just the most experienced. Think the stats show who played better game 1. You should really stop trying to deny it. Sure, their yards are near the same in passing, but Trevor had more than Kelly, with 1 less attempt. His yards per pass average is above Kelly's. He had more passing TD's than Kelly had total TD's. His QB RAT is sky high above Kelly's. Under TL, 31 points were scored, under Kelly, only 17. And yes, they both played the same Furman in the same quarters, for the same 5 drives a piece. , you can discuss Kelly having more rush than Trevor, but then you have to look at how the RB's did under Trevor vs under Kelly...which they did better under Trevor. Washes it out (as that is exactly the debate; keep with the run threat QB or lean more to the pass threat QB and let the RB's do the running instead of the QB...what a concept).

Kelly will be called "the better QB" until TL shows everything Kelly's playing last year gave him (playing night road games successfully, playing in big environments, playing with a hostile crowd environment, etc). That's just where the coaches are basically saying the better QB is the more proven experienced one they know has done it. If Trevor lights it up at College Station, watch for the narrative to begin changing.

oh..he is definitely the most experienced. that is an undisputable fact.

Sep 6, 2018, 10:57 AM

KB will be the starting QB until the coaches start another QB which is another undisputable fact

I didn't see anything from sat that would tell me which qb was better.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I think bryant is probably the right choice to start

Sep 6, 2018, 10:02 AM [ in reply to or it could mean the coaches think he is the better guy ]

on the road at A&M, but i thought Lawrence was the better QB against Furman. Not by a landslide or anything because Bryant was good after he shook off his poor start, but there are a few things in the passing game that i like about Lawrence that Bryant doesn't really bring to the table. He just has a much stronger arm and that makes a pretty big difference when throwing into reasonably small windows in the intermediate passing game and it also gives our WRs more time to catch and run on the screens and short passes. I also like his ability to throw the ball to all parts of the field in the intermediate and deep passing game. Bryant greatly favors throwing to the left.

That said, Bryant brings things Lawrence doesn't bring too. He obviously has experience in these types of games and he still has more familiarity with the offense and the playbook. And Trevor might have decent wheels, but he doesn't have Bryant's wheels and he did not good or comfortable on a few read option plays where he kept the ball against Furman. I think there's too much risk of him getting injured doing that right now so we would basically have to take those plays out of the playbook with him on the field at A&M. Defenses are very good these days at forcing QBs to read keeper on read options and that wouldn't be good for us with TL in there.

I'm excited to see both guys get a shot Saturday.

Re: I think bryant is probably the right choice to start

Aug 21, 2018, 2:02 PM

I think that's the catch. Trevor may not have Kelly's wheels, but does he really need to?? What he brought to the table made the defense not play as close, and well, the RB's made up for every bit that Kelly did (ex: They scored twice under Trevor, none under Kelly, so point wise, the rushing game did not suffer under Trevor. The passing game though did suffer under Bryant, 3 to 1).

But yes, he should start Texas A&M. he has the road experience, he has the experience in hostile environments, night game experience. He is the best guy to initially test what we will see from Texas A&M with his experience. Doesn't mean though he'll come out of the game with the best performance.

I agree. I want to see Lawrence take over at some point

Sep 6, 2018, 10:17 AM

but I don't believe A&M is the right game for it to happen. I think there's going to be a learning curve for both Lawrence and Tony Elliott calling plays for Lawrence.

Re: I think bryant is probably the right choice to start

Sep 6, 2018, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Re: I think bryant is probably the right choice to start ]

Edited above...said there were 14 points rushing both ways, the RB's actually never scored under Bryant. Only rushing score under Bryant was Bryant, his other was a TD pass to Amari.

So technically, the passing game and rush game were both less under Bryant score wise.

I think both though will get tested again in this game. They won't plan to play Kelly a majority, and Trevor mop up. I think it will start split reps again, then how the game goes will depict how they chose to go from there and who has the hot hand will likely play more unless we are just running away with the game.

We'll see. I'm excited to see what happens as well. Go Tigers!

Sep 6, 2018, 7:18 AM

Were you nervous when DW4 started his first game??

Sep 6, 2018, 7:29 AM

I read the SI article on DW yesterday, which mentioned that our coaches went into that UGa game with a plan to put Deshaun in for the third series of the game. I have to think they have given the same amount of thought to how best to utilize our current players.

Sep 6, 2018, 9:47 AM

If a qb has jitters and recognizes it, he will sometimes 'call his own number' so he can take a lick.

Jitters disappear.

Then it's time to rock.

Just having fun this morning, but I'm calling it: Kelly starts with a mistake-free conservative offense--that punts or kicks FGs every possession.
Then Trevor comes in. Takes a lick. Then throws 4 TD passes.
We win going away.

The torch will be passed. Though KB might still start again, the bar will be raised.

I honestly do hope our freshmen make a few mistakes this week, so long as none are too costly. I feel like this is our best possible growth game for at least a month, so we need to grow into it and out of it.

Tigers roar!

Sep 6, 2018, 9:51 AM

Obviously KB will start the game. They aren't going to put TL is that situation on the road in that environment. They both will play though obviously.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic