Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownell had the 3rd most experienced team in the ACC this
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1,734

Brownell had the 3rd most experienced team in the ACC this

Mar 12, 2015, 4:47 PM

year. This is according to statsheet.com, and was calculated by finding the average class year per minute played. We averaged 2.66 years of experience per minute played. That means the average minute played was taken by someone who had played college basketball for 2.66 years.

Only Notre Dame and Boston College, on average, used more experienced players than us in the ACC.

I think the excuse that this team was young is far overblown, and largely untrue. That excuse works at VT and Wake Forest this year because they're schools in transition, and they actually do have young basketball teams.

While the perception is that our younger players are more talented, that's just us being optimistic that they'll get better. DeMarcus Harrison was once a 4-star Shooting Guard coming out of high school, but he basically ended his career on the bench. Rod Hall and Jordan Roper look nearly identical to what they did back in 2013. People will point to KJ and a few others that have blossomed, but overall Brownell has to do a better job of both developing talent and spotting it on the recruiting trail. He's been here long enough that these are all his players at this point, and any holes in our roster are on him.

Source:
http://statsheet.com/mcb/stattracker/experience/confs?conf=acc

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How did Donte Grantham look this year?

Mar 12, 2015, 4:50 PM

Better than most as a freshman, or na?

He looked like a player with potential, but

Mar 12, 2015, 4:57 PM

he needs to improve quite a bit. He shot 37% from the field for the season, 55% from the FT line, and 28% from 3. None of those numbers are good at all.

I thought Hall, Harrison, and Roper all had the chance to be pretty good back in 2013 as well. I thought Nnoko would be more of a force this year as well. None of these players have taken the next step. It's just optimism to believe that Grantham will improve drastically enough to turn this team around.

He certainly came into Clemson with a much higher profile

Mar 12, 2015, 5:05 PM

He also put up way better numbers as a freshman than any player you listed.

Than any of the 3 players you listed. I think you saw Hall and Roper bump into their talent ceiling. Nook is still a guy that has only been playing basketball for a handful of years. Harrison is just a headcase with talent.

Grantham was also a year older than any of the ones

Mar 12, 2015, 5:55 PM

I mentioned. He went to prep school for a year after high school, so that definitely helped him contribute early.

I think Grantham definitely has potential, but the question is how much does he develop and how high is his ceiling? Coming in a year older than the average freshman certainly helped him physically, but he still needs to put on weight and change his body. Will he be another Milton Jennings or someone who actually moves the needle?

I also don't understand why he shot 55% from the FT line here, but 83% at Hargrave. Clemson seems to have a history of players forgetting how to shoot once they get here.

Most years the best player in CBB is a freshman and this

Mar 12, 2015, 4:53 PM

year is no different with Okafor. Talent trumps experience in basketball, and getting talent has been Brad's weakness, but this is still not the time to get rid of him.

Re: Brownell had the 3rd most experienced team in the ACC this

Mar 12, 2015, 4:55 PM

Glad you looked that up but that stat is irrelevant. Here's why-

We had 2 seniors and a junior who ate up a ton of minutes at the 1, 2, and 5 spots. But our best players and unquestionable leaders on the floor and the guys whom we depended on for scoring were a freshman and a sophomore.

That stat merely tells me that Notre Dames seniors were good and our and BC's seniors struggled.

And the 9th or 10th most talented team

Mar 12, 2015, 5:03 PM

in the ACC....We need talented guards badly

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Out Of High School, These Guys ARE Talented

Mar 12, 2015, 5:17 PM

The argument is that they appear to deteriorate, skills wise, on this team. look at the stats on these guys coming in ...

Do they "lose it" playing the way coach B wants them to play. Is it a natural decay like radioactive material ? I don't think so ....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Out Of High School, These Guys ARE Talented

Mar 12, 2015, 5:31 PM

Roper came with limitations. He's a 2G in a pg body.

Harrison was a 4* out of hs but never panned out. His shot mechanics are horrible btw and the staff tried to address the issue. Same with roper and he fought them on changes for longest time.

And basketball recruiting rankings are years behind and less accurate than football. Outside of the top 20 or so players, it's a crap shoot. Very inexact

Brownell's future depends ENTIRELY on the recruits

Mar 12, 2015, 5:36 PM

he brings in over the next two years (starting with the class with Hudson and Robertin). If his future hinged completely on the players that will be returning, or more players of that talent level, he'd may as well go ahead and start packing his bags right now so he can get out fast in a couple of years. Brownell had better bring in some guys that can shoot, score, and compete right away or he's toast.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Brownell's future depends ENTIRELY on the recruits

Mar 12, 2015, 5:44 PM

> he brings in over the next two years (starting with
> the class with Hudson and Robertin). If his future
> hinged completely on the players that will be
> returning, or more players of that talent level, he'd
> may as well go ahead and start packing his bags right
> now so he can get out fast in a couple of years.
> Brownell had better bring in some guys that can
> shoot, score, and compete right away or he's toast.

Yep. I just wonder if he will get dirty enough to get it done.

We could have had Juwan Evans for 40 k. Handler demanded to be reimbursed for "travel money".

Sad statement but true.

Re: Brownell's future depends ENTIRELY on the recruits

Mar 12, 2015, 5:48 PM [ in reply to Brownell's future depends ENTIRELY on the recruits ]

He may be toast here, but he will be successful somewhere. His style does translate to the college game. We do not have to look too far to see this(UVA). Tony Bennett has been able to this using the same defensive minded plan. He for whatver reason has been more successful getting the better shooters. The luxury in basketball is that you only need 1 or 2 scorers. If Hudson, Devoe, Rooks or Roper can be more consistent from the outside it would open the lanes for Grantham and Blossomgame. All you can ask for in a coach's plan is to get good looks. I have seen them get those and are just unable to knock them down.

He may be successful somewhere - heck I hope it's here.

Mar 12, 2015, 6:21 PM

And I have said many times that his "style" is not the problem. In fact, I believe his "style" would look a lot different if he had better players. Besides, I can't think of any good basketball teams that aren't very good on defense; they just happen to have shooters and scorers to go with it.

Brownell's slow, patient, "defense first" style is a result of the talent he has to work with as much as it is anything. If he were coaching Kentucky's players, people wouldn't be talking about his, plodding, defense-first style; they'd just outscore everybody like they do now and everybody would be talking about how great of a coach he was.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

It hinges on Blossomgame, Grantham and

Mar 13, 2015, 2:19 PM [ in reply to Brownell's future depends ENTIRELY on the recruits ]

Holmes. Those are our big 3 the next 2 years. They do what they are capable of, we won't be having this conversation in 2 years. They don't, new coach. We simply cannot expect freshmen who come to Clemson to be "the" man. That's a short list in Clemson history. Tree, Wise and Buckner.

Mar 12, 2015, 6:04 PM

I like Brownell but I agree a couple years ago we were told we needed seniors. Had 2 who started most of the year. One fell off badly.

Not sure why we tailed off late but lack of experience isn't it. It is ridiculous to utter it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That article is nonsense.***

Mar 12, 2015, 7:07 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And the 12th most talented.

Mar 12, 2015, 7:32 PM

Must upgrade recruiting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Mar 12, 2015, 8:58 PM

Not sure how relevant that stat is in basketball...Kentucky probably averages 0.9 years experience and look at their record.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1,734
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic