Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownell gets another year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Brownell gets another year

Feb 18, 2017, 1:55 PM

NCAA tournament is not going to happen. NIT is doubtful. Most of our losses are by very little. First year in new Littlejohn. First year with new players. I think he gets 1 more year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Re: Brownell gets another year

Feb 18, 2017, 1:56 PM

No thanks. Fresh start and vision please.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2017, 1:56 PM

I hope you're wrong but I'm afraid you're right...no commitment to win so they stay the course

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2017, 2:18 PM

I agree, I think he's back in 2017/18...but shouldn't be.

Feb 18, 2017, 1:57 PM

Probably will. Don't think he should but he will

No No No No

Feb 18, 2017, 1:58 PM

Sad but true***

Feb 18, 2017, 1:59 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2017, 1:59 PM

Huge buyout says probably yes but should be NO!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DRad will keep him if we make the NIT. With 5 new players

Feb 18, 2017, 2:02 PM

in the program next year, that should be all the progress he needs to see to be satisfied enough to not pay the $3.5 million dollar buyout.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2017, 2:03 PM

7th year as HC? Only NCAA berth is from OP recruits? Clemson is better than this and we have high expectations.. I personally want a change, but I do wonder this...

Is Brownell bringing out the full potential of our scrappy players?
Has he grown them to where they are as scrappy as they have shown? Or is this a case of displaying talent with a coach that just can't put it all together.. I don't know enough about the program

God I hope not

Feb 18, 2017, 2:04 PM

It's been 7 years...1 NCAA bid w/ Purnell's players & 1 NIT bid w/ a whole lot of nothing in between to show. @ some point you gotta quit making excuses & realizes results ain't there. Close losses can't hide that the program has regressed. Even if there's a NIT bid, BB needs to go IMO.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2017, 2:06 PM

And the cycle will continue and they won't get Zion.

Feb 18, 2017, 2:13 PM

I think Zion is just wishful thinking. Anybody know what Brownell's buyout next year ? I think it is 31/2 million now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm afraid we won't get Zion no matter who the coach is***

Feb 18, 2017, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Brownell gets another year ]

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

He hasn't upset the higher ups. Only 1 losing season.

Feb 18, 2017, 2:12 PM

No NCAA trouble. Plus a big buyout and we've spent tons of money across campus. We know that's how the B.O.T. will look at it. They will give him another year. I would love to see him turn it around, but I'm afraid this is how it will be. Although if he puts up another 20 win season next year if the new guys can play defense then they will give him another big contract.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Re: He hasn't upset the higher ups. Only 1 losing season.

Feb 18, 2017, 2:15 PM

I am looking forward to the trio of reed, Mitchell and Thomas the next two years.

If grantham can get his head out of his ### we could have a solid team next year

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2017, 2:29 PM

Yeah I guess losing Blossomgame is sort of lost in the shadows at this moment.

Feb 18, 2017, 8:24 PM

Blossomgame has been extremely underwhelming this year

Brownell does not have a big buyout or a big contract.

Feb 18, 2017, 3:18 PM [ in reply to He hasn't upset the higher ups. Only 1 losing season. ]

Why do people keep posting this crap?!?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

That would amount waving a white flag and admitting that

Feb 18, 2017, 2:29 PM

Clemson has completely given up any hope whatsoever of having a respectable basketball program. If that is the case, we need to bulldoze the newly renovated LJ and make more parking for football.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: That would amount waving a white flag and admitting that

Feb 18, 2017, 2:35 PM

Wow. Drastic but I can understand.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Speaking of new Littlejohn

Feb 18, 2017, 4:56 PM [ in reply to That would amount waving a white flag and admitting that ]

Where is the orange besides the tiger paw in the middle? Everything looks blue, then sometimes it looks purple, but I loved all the orange the way it was.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Question on buyout

Feb 18, 2017, 2:44 PM

When would we not have to pay it? After next year?

2. How and / or why did we give him such a buyout. Just curious. I understand what it is, just not how it works.

imo I think they have good talent but seem to lack the fundamentals. I m no coach by any stretch.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question on buyout

Feb 18, 2017, 2:49 PM

I think after the last NIT run, DRad got a bit overwhelmed with that "success". His buyout negotiations should've started at about $1 mil

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Re: Question on buyout

Feb 18, 2017, 2:55 PM

Oh ok. Thanks for replying.

Buyout is $3 million after this season

Feb 18, 2017, 3:21 PM [ in reply to Question on buyout ]

and remains at $3 million for the remainder of the contract. While many on here think we paid him too much, and think the buyout is bad, we really don't pay him that much as far as basketball salaries today go. The buyout really isn't that much either.

I still contend that the buyout won't be a factor in whether we keep him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Now where is that fork?***

Feb 18, 2017, 2:56 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One more year = two years with the way this buyout works.

Feb 18, 2017, 2:57 PM

His salary next year wouldn't affect the buyout amount, so we'd essentially be down another season and year's salary to boot by then, but still have the same buyout by around $500k I think.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One more year = two years with the way this buyout works.

Feb 18, 2017, 3:02 PM

Wow ??. Didn't realize we'd given such a good contract. Really appreciate y'all replying.

I keep reading about it the last month but couldn't figure out what it was.

I hope it's because we can't find someone...

Feb 18, 2017, 3:25 PM

who is worthy of being called a Tiger. I'm sick and tired of having to take a run of the mill BB coach. Let's be patient until those in charge can find a person of Dabo's passion and caliper in all areas of life.

We might ought to pray about it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How does a Dabo caliper work?***

Feb 18, 2017, 9:03 PM

We get run of the mill for everything so to speak

Feb 18, 2017, 9:31 PM [ in reply to I hope it's because we can't find someone... ]

In all the Big 3 sports we always go after a young coach that has no experience with a big school/program. It's what we do. Danny Ford was an assistant. Ken Hatfield came from Arkansas so forget that one, but Tommy West came from UT Chat. Bowden came from Tulane. Dabo was an assistant. Rick Barnes came from Providence. Oliver Purnell came from Dayton. Brownell came from Wright St. Jack Leggett came from Western Carolina and was then an assistant. Monte Lee came from C of C. We don't know what we will get with unproven coaches in big time programs we've just been fortunate of the ones that have done well. More than likely if Brownell is ever gone we will go after another young coach who's never been the head of a program at a major school.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

That strategy is a poor one for basketball.

Feb 18, 2017, 11:00 PM

We need a coach who has won at the high major level. We've spent over 100 years taking chances on coaches we hope will win here. It's foolish to continue doing the same.

Feb 18, 2017, 3:41 PM

Talk about patience...

What does NIT have to do with anything?*****

Feb 18, 2017, 3:54 PM

We can get into the NIT

Feb 18, 2017, 8:20 PM

based on the difficulty of our conference this year and a couple more wins.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who cares about the NIT either way? Why do you mention it?****

Feb 18, 2017, 9:06 PM

Re: Who cares about the NIT either way? Why do you mention it?****

Feb 18, 2017, 9:21 PM

Because this fall the Peach Bowl is going to look good.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You do realize the Peach Bowl is a New Years

Feb 18, 2017, 11:09 PM

Six Bowl don't you?

Feb 19, 2017, 12:34 PM

I'll be very surprised if CBB doesn't get another year. A couple of years ago, I thought he would be able to have a reasonable level of success and with the returning players, this season would be a good indicator if it was going to happen. Definitely appears he won't be able to get it done. Next year doesn't look promising as well. Not enough returning talent and don't think the newcomers can be expected to provide much immediate support. Likely a change will be made in early 2018.

I'm confused as to why you think he gets another year.

Feb 19, 2017, 12:40 PM

Your points suggest that he has no chance of being successful in 2017-2018 with the returning players and newcomers, so why would he get another year?

Re: I'm confused as to why you think he gets another year.

Feb 19, 2017, 12:43 PM

I doubt DRad has my view of the future.

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic