Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownell cant recruit, his style of play is boring,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

Brownell cant recruit, his style of play is boring,

Dec 28, 2013, 3:28 PM

He has embarrassing losses to embarrassing teams(i.e. Auburn), the fans arent buying in(see attendance)..... If we are going to renovate LJ we need a new coach or we are just flushing millions down the toilet that could have been spent on football!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The question is, who can recruit at Clemson?

Dec 28, 2013, 3:48 PM

Purnell won here, but did so with a gimmick (a system if being generous), but hit the ceiling pretty quickly because he was unable to lure the talent.

Outside of a super high-profile name coach (who we are not getting at Clemson), I don't think anybody could have recruited well enough here over the last 20 years or so. Not even a guy like Shaka Smart (yeah I know he's young and relates to players and has been successful, blah blah blah.)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Ellis***

Dec 28, 2013, 3:57 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Johnson??

Dec 28, 2013, 4:49 PM

;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not with any sustainability...That's why he had to leave...***

Dec 28, 2013, 5:24 PM [ in reply to Ellis*** ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I should add . . . new facilities should help. The problem

Dec 28, 2013, 4:01 PM [ in reply to The question is, who can recruit at Clemson? ]

at Clemson, as I see it, has been the perception that we are a football school that is not committed to basketball. That kills our recruiting. To change that perception, we must make a very public, outward commitment to the basketball program. New, state of the art facilities are an absolute necessity, and it looks like we are on track there. The other thing that we must have is a coach that recruits feel can win at the highest level; that may or may not be Brownell.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

That is because we are a football school and not committed

Dec 28, 2013, 8:17 PM

to basketball

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what he said***

Dec 28, 2013, 8:49 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But it doesn't mean we can't, shouldn't, or won't commit

Dec 28, 2013, 10:01 PM

to having a strong basketball program. Lots of schools do both, and we could too. It's just a matter of doing it. I think that if we don't, we should quit wasting the time and money and just scrap the basketball program.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Brownell cant recruit, his style of play is boring,

Dec 28, 2013, 3:48 PM

lmao. dude, you are one of many that is an embarrassment to clemson.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 28, 2013, 3:53 PM

A point for you sir!

Would you say that Grantham is a good recruit

Dec 28, 2013, 3:50 PM

I would, Michigan and Cincinnati appeared to think so, but I guess you're right. Also, Jawun Evans is listening to Clemson at the moment, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him added to the 2015 class. He is a 4* prospect.

You are an no-nothing troll***

Dec 28, 2013, 3:51 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really??

Dec 28, 2013, 3:56 PM

Making statements like these are not only wrong but irritating. You state the Auburn loss was basically due to BBs lack of coaching yet there are much bigger upsets to schools like UNC all the time. It was a bad loss but Auburn shot extremely well that night, it happens in basketball all the time.
His recruiting has improved each year. To suggest he can sign great players with the awful facilities we have is ignorant. Just like the West End Zone has made a huge impact in our football recruiting, upgrades to LJ will pay dividends for the Basketball program.
BB is a heck of a coach and has proven he can develop players, be competitive in almost every game even when he is at a significant disadvantage in personnel. I wish all our coaches could do as much as BB does.
Give the man a few more years and you will change your opinion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

100% wrong ...............

Dec 28, 2013, 4:30 PM

DeVoe is a big time player who will join our program next season. If Rooks had not been injured this season we would probably be undefeated. We only lack a couple of baskets each game to have wins over Umass and Auburn and Arkansas. These kind of negative remarks are what is forcing me to become less active on tigernet. Pretty soon some of you "fans" will destroy this forum.

Not so.

Dec 28, 2013, 4:35 PM

The dumpers and coots are given only enough rope to hang themselves with. crump and B will only take so much.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How am I wrong?***

Dec 28, 2013, 5:09 PM [ in reply to 100% wrong ............... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good post....and right on target...

Dec 28, 2013, 10:07 PM [ in reply to Really?? ]

Brownell may not be the next Hank Iba, but he is the type of coach we need right now and I, like you, am encouraged by the class he has coming in next signing day. The bad thing is that Clemson cannot afford to "miss" on any valued recruit we sign.....Coach Brownell has certainly shown an affinity for developing players and bringing out the talent an individual possesses....Nnoko and Djitte are prime examples.

I don't much care if the OP changes his opinion of Coach Brownell or not. I've dealt with anti-basketball Clemson fans my entire life and most of them just had no insight into the game or else thought it totally secondary to football and as such meaningless

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brownell can recruit, - from Clemson website

Dec 28, 2013, 4:02 PM

This kInd of lets facts get in the way of your ill informed rant:

CLEMSON, SC - The Clemson men's basketball program announced the addition of two prospects to national letters of intent Wednesday, the first day of the early signing period. Head Coach Brad Brownell and his staff added Donte Grantham, a 6-foot-8 forward from Martinsburg, WV, and Gabe DeVoe, a 6-foot-4 guard from Shelby, NC.

"We're extremely excited to add Gabe and Donte to the Tiger basketball family," Brownell said. "These are two very talented players who certainly have a bright future at Clemson. Both can play multiple positions, have a tremendous feel for the game and are outstanding shooters. They are highly motivated, competitive young men whose talents fit very well into our system."

Grantham is the highest-rated prospect to sign with the Tigers under Brownell. He is listed as a four-star prospect by both Rivals.com and Scout.com. Grantham is the nation's No. 66 overall prospect according to Rivals.com and No. 91 by Scout.com. He led Martinsburg High School to the West Virginia AAA crown this past season with 20 points and 17 rebounds in the championship game. He earned the Evans Award, presented annually to the state's top player, after averaging 18.3 points and 9.1 rebounds per game in 2012-13.

Grantham reclassified and is attending Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, VA this season. In Hargrave's most recent game, he made 11-of-12 three-point goals and scored 42 points.

"Donte is a highly regarded forward because of his versatility, vision and ability to shoot the basketball," Brownell said. "He comes from an outstanding high school program where he won a state championship, and is currently off to a great start this year at Hargrave Military Academy. I want highly motivated winners in our basketball program, and Donte is certainly that."

DeVoe is a three-star prospect according to both Rivals.com and Scout.com. He is the reigning South Mountain Athletic Conference Player of the Year and was a first-team all-state selection last season by the Associated Press. DeVoe averaged 20.2 points and 4.6 assists per game for Shelby High School last season. He made 11 three-pointers and scored 45 points in a recent jamboree game against Charlotte Catholic High School.

DeVoe is only the second men's basketball player from Cleveland County (NC) to sign a scholarship out of high school with a team from the Atlantic Coast Conference. NC State legend David Thompson was the other.

"Gabe is a strong combo guard who sees the floor very well as a passer and has deep three-point shooting range," Brownell said. "He is an outstanding student and leader at Shelby High School. I have no doubt he will one day become a captain of the basketball program."

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brownell can recruit, - from Clemson website

Dec 28, 2013, 4:38 PM

Interesting that Devoe is D. Thompsons cousin!!!

Dec 28, 2013, 5:03 PM

Absurd. There are only so many highly ranked players to go around and most of those "lottery picks" are going to go to the schools that already have a rep for producing championships - now, in the ACC, that means UNC, Syr, Pitt, Duke and others. Brownell is taking the best players that can be attracted to Clemson - and most choose Clemson for reasons in addition to basketball. Aggressive defense, which athletes can be taught, can make up somewhat for an surfeit of basketball skills and savvy. And SC is full of athletes (football first) who play basketball on the side. Getting players from above the Mason-Dixon line increases the possibility of success and player development can mitigate other shortcomings. Wait and see. He will "succeed" at Clemson - if Clemson can accept what would constitute a CU "success" in our league.

His boring system hurts recruiting

Dec 28, 2013, 5:05 PM

We score more points in Death Valley than Littlejohn....

Please, describe his "boring" system?

Dec 28, 2013, 5:07 PM

What sort of sets does he run? What type of offense does he run? What type of offense would you like to see at Clemson?

the football equivalent of 3 yards and a cloud of dust...

Dec 28, 2013, 5:09 PM

I will say that you are wrong.

Dec 28, 2013, 5:11 PM

Again, please describe Brownell's system, in basketball terms. What do you call his offense? What are the goals of his offense? Where do his offensive coaching philosophies come from?

Dude, check the scores of our games...

Dec 28, 2013, 5:13 PM

Ive seen Upward Basketball games score more points. Heck, Baylor football scores more points!

Thankfully basketball isn't a race to 100***

Dec 28, 2013, 5:15 PM

You still haven't answered the question

Dec 28, 2013, 5:15 PM [ in reply to Dude, check the scores of our games... ]

If you're going to complain about it, you should probably at least understand it.

He hasn't answered because he doesn't know.***

Dec 28, 2013, 5:22 PM

I see the football term 3 yards and a cloud of dust

Dec 28, 2013, 5:23 PM [ in reply to You still haven't answered the question ]

Was lost on you... Slow, boring offenses that work on ball control and TOP. Defensive mindset. Aka 1980s football.

Yes, because the Alabama offense in football is terrible

Dec 28, 2013, 5:29 PM

Isn't that what everyone wants to see on the football field?

I guess thats why everyone is running it instead of

Dec 28, 2013, 5:34 PM

The spread... Oh, wait...

I'm just trying to make a correlation you might understand

Dec 28, 2013, 5:36 PM

Since your knowledge of basketball seems to revolve around football.

Let me help you a little

Dec 28, 2013, 5:28 PM [ in reply to You still haven't answered the question ]

We run the motion offense. The goal of the offense is control the ball, limit turnovers, and score efficiently, while at the same time, making the other team play defense for most of the shot clock, thus limiting offensive possessions for both teams. It's not boring if you understand what Brownell is attempting to do with his offense. If it's a race to 100 Clemson is in trouble because we don't have the offensive talent to make it to 100. We play the game somewhere in the 60's or 70's but score at an efficient rate. We shrink the game and out execute teams. Look at the Temple game. Temple is currently in the top 50 offensive teams, but they rely on volume shooting to score their points. They came up against us, and we destroyed them because they couldn't execute on the same level. As Brownell brings more talent into the program, we will start scoring in the 70's and 80's.

Re: His boring system hurts recruiting

Dec 28, 2013, 5:08 PM [ in reply to His boring system hurts recruiting ]

man you are truly pathetic. there are plenty more teams out there you certainly could pull for, i mean complain about.

Yawn!!!!***

Dec 28, 2013, 9:58 PM [ in reply to His boring system hurts recruiting ]

How many games you been to this year?***

Dec 28, 2013, 5:22 PM

All of them bc I love driving 8 hours to see 50 pt

Dec 28, 2013, 5:32 PM

Bball games.

I only come up for Football games. I watch Bball on TV.

How many 50 pt games have we played this season

Dec 28, 2013, 5:33 PM

The answer - 1

The outcome - 58-37 point win vs Delaware St.

Don't let facts get in your way of your argument though.

Dont let sarcasm get you b*** hurt

Dec 28, 2013, 5:35 PM

It's not sarcasm when you mean it

Dec 28, 2013, 5:36 PM

It's not butt hurt when the facts are against you.

Cause i think we score 50 points every game...

Dec 28, 2013, 5:41 PM

And the only Fact we need is W's and L's and NCAA tourney success... You lose.

Care to compare OP vs BB in terms of NCAA wins?

Dec 28, 2013, 5:47 PM

Brad Brownell has actually won a NCAA game. OP, with his high scoring offense managed to win 0, and then ran to Depaul after his best recruiting class. Then you probably need to consider that we essentially had to hit the reset button on the entire program after 10-11 because OP essentially left the cupboard bare except for Jennings and Booker.

I'm sorry you don't find our smothering defense exciting.

Dec 28, 2013, 5:30 PM

Or our breaks off of turnovers. Or our rebounding. Or games down to the wire unless we're running away with it. The only thing this team is truly missing right now is a few more shots made per game, which comes with a little more confidence and cohesiveness. We're a tough out from here on out. Get used to it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 28, 2013, 8:44 PM

Why do you complain so much about Brownell on Tnet? If you have such great insight on what he should or shouldn't be doing as head coach, send him an email. I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.

At least it would give him a good laugh.***

Dec 28, 2013, 10:01 PM

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic