Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownell
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Brownell

Jan 5, 2015, 12:41 AM

I have no strong opinion either way on BB, but it's pretty obvious that what is happening right now in the program will not result in significant future success. The program is stuck, or even in possible decline.

My opinion is that it will take a super strong recruiter to build this program, as the bottom line is talent. You can have the greatest tactical coach in the universe, but if he doesn't have the talent, the success will be severely limited. So far, BB has not proven that he can recruit, and retain, talent in the system.

I question whether talented, athletic kids really want to play BB's grind it out style. My guess is that most would prefer a more "up and down" the court game. As a fan, I don't find BB's style as enjoyable to watch, and I'm guessing it is not overly attractive to high level athletes, which means we are generally left fielding teams with less physical skill that plays fundamentally sound, but is inevitably overmatched athletically.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Up or down based on 13 games?

Jan 5, 2015, 8:02 AM

You say the program may be in decline but last year we finished 6th? So we are now in decline due to Dec and one game in Jan?

Brownell has lost two coaches who have moved on to become Head Coaches in the last few years. I don't believe another HC in the conference has had to deal with that and it has impacted our recruiting and resources. Keep on mind, our facilities are poor (for those who don't think they matter, ask your mini god Dabo if they have an impact), the state has very few D1 level HS players but BB is still improving his recruiting, almost yearly.

The style of play you enspouse is irrelevant to recruiting. You think a higher quality of player is going to commit fours years to Clemson because he wants to shoot the ball 3-5 more times a game? Seriously, that is your "plan"? Hey, don't worry about learning the game, we run up and down the court and let it fly. Sound like fun? Good, sign here. Yea, that's a great pitch sure to bring the best players in the country right to Clemson.

Clemson basketball requires patience and perseverance. I know this team is not "fun" to watch but I do think they are better than they are playing right now. Will they become more competitive? I don't know but BB is a quality HC that has won everywhere he's been. Let's don't assume the worse 13 games into a season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How can you be patient in year 5...

Jan 5, 2015, 8:07 AM

Of your program? OP in his 5th year built Clemson to a NCAA team and in the ACCT championship game Brownell is running out of time...

some people are more patient than others...***

Jan 5, 2015, 8:10 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I admire how in love you are with Brownwell; so I made you a

Jan 5, 2015, 8:13 AM

selfie-vid.

Hope you enjoy <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBDEN5AFmWU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBDEN5AFmWU

if <3ing brad is wrong, i don't want to be right...

Jan 5, 2015, 8:19 AM

sometimes, it's hard to keep still.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm interested what his investment portfolio looks like but

Jan 5, 2015, 8:23 AM

I'm honestly more interested in his chocolate dessert recipes.

I bet he makes a mean macaroon brownie.

i'm sure he's a meticulous baker; who wouldn't wait 4 that?***

Jan 5, 2015, 8:30 AM

Re: i'm sure he's a meticulous baker; who wouldn't wait 4 that?***

Jan 5, 2015, 9:51 AM

he has been known to warm chocolate blintzes in his oven.

wait, we are still talking about hugh grant right?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sure, if that wood make balm happy.***

Jan 5, 2015, 9:55 AM

Re: sure, if that wood make balm happy.***

Jan 5, 2015, 10:03 AM

i'm sure i don't have to do anything else today...

Jan 5, 2015, 10:04 AM

that's a pretty good feeling before lunch.

Re: i'm sure i don't have to do anything else today...

Jan 5, 2015, 10:05 AM

your hubby still trading over at Lehman?

if he knows what's good for him...***

Jan 5, 2015, 10:09 AM

Because

Jan 5, 2015, 9:49 AM [ in reply to How can you be patient in year 5... ]

of some of the reasons I noted already. This is CLEMSON BASKETBALL we are talking about. Unless you want to go all AAU (ie cheat), Clemson will require more patience than other programs. It is that simple. BB's had a decent run so far, this year's team is not one to inspire anyone much, I get that. But you seem to know basketball from other posts I've seen you make, I would think some of what I noted would make sense to you.

It is amazing that so many folks on here seem to think there are talented HS players just itching to come to Clemson "if we had the right coach". That is the definition of lunacy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You cant win at Clemson"

Jan 5, 2015, 8:17 AM

Complete myth. There is NO excuse Clemson cannot be infinitely more competitive than they are now or have been in most of the past. Look at all the po-dunk schools you probably couldn't even place on a map that make the tournament every year - those programs have kids that are quick, athletic, play with intensity and can shoot the rock. Do these schools have better facilities, support, money, fan base than Clemson? Basketball is so prevalent in todays society, there is just no excuse not to bring some kids in that can play the game.

"grind it out style"..... lol

Jan 5, 2015, 10:06 AM

I just love the people who get on here and talk down to BB's Offensive style. These people really need to get a job in the media, so they can spend all day every day yapping about generalizations, assumptions, presumptions, and misunderstandings as much as they want. Well, I take that back... maybe they should go into politics...

But be that as is may, have the people who have a hard time with BB's O style looked at the NBA lately? The San Antonio Spurs are the "new Chicago Bulls a la Mike Jordan" with, what, 4 or 5 Championships in the last 10 years, plus a couple of Finals losses as well. And what exactly were they known for other than Offensive execution in the half-court? Sure they played D as well. But they were primarily known for something no other team in the NBA could duplicate, an O strategy like the Lakers of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - pounding the paint and running plays through the middle.

In fact, if I were to pick on one thing that I think we don't do well this year relative to last year's success, is based on the Duke game in the ACC Tournament - in that game we ran the Offense all totally through Nnoko at the post until late in the game when instead of passing down, Rod Hall just took it to the paint.

Re: "grind it out style"..... lol

Jan 5, 2015, 11:43 AM

Brownell literally just said about ten mins ago that the offense needs/will run through Nnoko more. Said he needs to be a double figure scorer for us, and he needs more touches at least in the paint. This is a key.

I am not

Jan 5, 2015, 11:53 AM

defending or discrediting BB here, but its his 5th year and this basketball team/program freakn sucks! Now, I have just chalked it up to it being "Clemson and no1 wants to play basketball here", but good god! Some people on here keep saying to "be patient" when its been 5 years...5 years! Thats a long time folks...In 5 years the only recruit that he has gotten that he can hang his hat on would be KJ...There has been no improvement to our inside game since Booker and Grant left...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Re: Brownell

Jan 5, 2015, 8:38 PM

I have been following Brad for close to 10 years. I will tell you he has changed his style. His teams use to never push the ball up the court. That has changed. The problem is that he has no help in this year in assistants. Riley will be okay. I tell everyone to watch the team. See how many fast breaks they get and how many the other team get. This year there need to be two changes at least. A new strength and conditioning coach is needed. The players have not gotten stronger or quicker. Mike Winecki cannot not coach or recruit. He us the big man coach. He doesn't have a clue. He also has only 1 recruit in 7 years. He stays because Brad has a big heart and Mike has had health problems . But it is now time. Brad needs a division 1 coach that looses his job this year. He has never done that.

Two Thoughts

Jan 5, 2015, 8:58 PM

1) Rad will bring in his coach when the time is right in parallel with the stadium renovation. The clock is ticking and BB will be leaving.
2) College hoops is a coach's game. A young Greg Marshall and a young Shaka Smart would have loved to have been given an opportunity to coach Clemson. One was in our back yard and one was on our front porch. And either would have changed Clemson Hoops culture significantly for the better. Not unlike Dabo's promotion, it takes an AD with cojones and a big checkbook to sign a young promising coach. Difficult but possible. Rad will soon have his chance.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Two Thoughts

Jan 5, 2015, 10:20 PM

If the AD fires CBB within the next two years after extending his contract which calls for buyouts of $5mm during that period, then the AD should be fired shortly afterwards.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic