Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
State of the Baseball Program
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

State of the Baseball Program

Jun 6, 2017, 8:15 AM

It kills me to get on here and read the posts from the negative posters on here about how Monte was a bad hire, he's no better than JL, his team's crack under pressure, etc. Realize what Monte was tasked with before you jump to irrational conclusions.

1. Monte took over a team that was EXTREMELY THIN on QUALITY pitching and that has lost a considerable amount of arms since his arrival. Since taking the job Monte lost Taylor Vetzel to academics, Drew Moyer to injury, Bostic/Schmidt to the draft, Higginbotham, Crawford, R. Miller, AND Paul Campbell to injuries or sicknesses this year. If you compare this year's roster to last year's roster you will also notice 7 pitchers from last year's team are no longer with the team I'd assume due to inability to perform or transfer. 9 new arms in the form of 3 transfers and 6 true freshman were added. So basically the whole staff outside of a select few has been completely retooled. That kind of change is gonna experience growing pains. However with a fresh crop of TALENTED arms coming in the QUALITY depth will be there next year for the first time in a LONG time. The arms Monte brought in performed this season when asked and give alot of optimism for the future.

2. Monte has had to piece together a line up that lost both middle infielders and an all American catcher to the draft last year. These hitters were your #2, 4, & 5 hitters in the line up. Those are huge bats to replace. He also had to find a third baseman who could field his position and handle the bat. So essentially you lost every starter on the infield outside of first base. 3 of these positions have been manned by true freshman or transfers due to the lack of talent Leggett left him. I'd say all of those positions exceeded expectations considering what was asked of them due to their inexperience. Realize that alot of what Jack left behind to work with hasn't panned out and that's not Montes fault.

3. The MLB draft has also hampered Montes growth speed due to nabbing a few big time recruits the last two years. The year he took the job Monte lost Cornelius Randolph (1st round Phillies) and Jalen Miller (3rd round Giants) to the draft. This year Monte lost Carter Kieboom (1st round Nats) and Travis MacGregor (2nd round Pirates) to the draft. That's four blue chip players that not only could have you as a CWS candidate but that you also have to find replacements for at the last minute. Not to mention that he lost Jackson Kowar (Floridas #3 weekend guy) and Cal Raleigh (FSUs starting catcher) the year Jack Leggett was released. That's ALOT of blue chip talent to replace and that's not an easy task.

4. Look at what Monte has brought in and then look at their production. Logan Davidson is a budding superstar. Byrd is a defensive monster at third who's bat will continue to come around after sitting out due to redshirt at LSU and then transferring to Clemson the last two years. Chris Williams became a big time bat and a solid replacement to Okey. Kyle Wilkie went through growing pains behind the dish while Williams has been injured but man what a last few weeks he's had after settling in. Higginbotham, Hennessy, The Miller's, Griffith, Gilliam, Crawford, etc. All have proven themselves at times and given big time innings. They show this staff can evaluate arms and get guys on campus who can throw strikes/win games. Oh, and some guy named Seth Beer that Monte convinced to come to Clemson who we may not have if not for that hire. My point being the guy knows talent and is getting it into Doug Kingsmore.

5. Finally, he's hosted two home regionals the last two years with somebody else's players and alot of freshman/first year transfers for the most part. Before Monte all you heard was why can't we consistently? win? Or wouldn't it be nice to get back to the days of hosting? Well he's done that. Has it stung to miss out on advancing yes. But realize last year we ran into a smoking hot Oklahoma State team who not many people in the country could have beaten that weekend or the next and this year lack of pitching depth and youth/inexperience being served/injuries finally caught up to us. It happens. It hurts but it happens. Point being the program is trending upward from when he took it over.

Ultimately what I'm getting at is GIVE THE MAN AND HIS STAFF TIME. It's not like he's competing against cupcakes. He's lost one midseries game in two years and has taken 2 of 3 from SC who both years was far more talented. He's won 40+ games both years and brought regionals back to Clemson. He's getting blue chip talent back on campus. He's got a #### good staff in place. He won an ACC title for the first time in YEARS. It took a man named Dabo Swinney a few years to rebuild a football program the right way but look at what he's doing these days. Learn from that and give Monte and this team time to rebuild this program and I feel certain you're going to look back and say man was I foolish to think this guy couldn't do the job. We all want it now but it's coming guys. Trust the process! GO TIGERS!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I more tend to look at the fact that

Jun 6, 2017, 8:21 AM

several weeks ago it was the same list of someone else's players who had this team ranked in the Top 5 and on track for a National seed. Instead, we have a coach who did in fact get two home regionals and lost them back to back.

Re: I more tend to look at the fact that

Jun 6, 2017, 8:29 AM

Look at the strength of the teams you had played up until that point. Outside of UVA name a series before FSU you could hang your hat on. As hard as it is to say they were overrated. The pitching staff hadn't seen lineups like FSU, Louisville, UNC, NC State, WF, etc. Possessed nor had the lineup seen the high caliber arms those same teams possessed. We were a very GOOD team. We weren't Top 5 or Top 10 GREAT.

Jun 6, 2017, 8:32 AM

I was looking at the strength of the teams all season. It was the folks on this board who overlook things like that.

Jun 6, 2017, 8:40 AM

I totally agree. I fully believe in this staff and also believe the program is in overall better shape than it was. Monte has gotten rid of ALOT of dead weight this team was dragging around that wasn't helping. Growing pains suck but once he gets depth with the quality of your Davidson's, Mitchell Miller's, etc. this team will shine. But it won't happen overnight unfortunately. Closing the talent gaps between us and the Louisville's and Floridas of the world takes time and hard work.

So what exactly is your point then?***

Jun 6, 2017, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Re: I more tend to look at the fact that ]

Jun 6, 2017, 8:42 AM [ in reply to I more tend to look at the fact that ]

If you watched the games and looked at the teams we were playing it was pretty obvious that this team was over performing. Baseball is a game of hot and cold streaks. Oregon State is the exception, not the rule.

Jun 6, 2017, 8:49 AM

Couldn't agree more. The only thing that lessons these hot and cold streaks is better overall quality depth. The more talent you have the quicker somebody gets hot to get you rolling. Monte will get us this depth. He did it at COC with far less facilities and recruiting pull.

I'd say your tnet handle is a bit of a misnomer***

Jun 6, 2017, 8:55 AM [ in reply to I more tend to look at the fact that ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I'd say your tnet handle is a bit of a misnomer***

Jun 6, 2017, 9:05 AM

Had to get something easy I could remember ??. TigerFan + College baseball number.

Jun 6, 2017, 9:10 AM [ in reply to I more tend to look at the fact that ]

Well that's life and it came down to a winner take all game. There were national seed teams with way more talent then clemson that also didn't make it aka UNC and Texas Tech shows even if you have great depth and players you can be beat it's the post season. Davidson beat unc twice in a row who was a top 4 national seed. That's baseball, and yea we lost back to back regions but last year we lost to the national runner up they ok st went all the way to the national title game and this year we made it to a winner take all game that was continuesly delayed and I think it cool down our bats that's baseball! Let the man get some depth and arms we are full of young very talented players! And look at our pitching we had to get 3 grad players to come pitch bc we didn't have enough arms!

FYI- Coastal Carolina beat Arizona in the title series last

Jun 6, 2017, 9:28 AM

year. Ok St. won a couple of games in Omaha but was eliminated by Arizona

Jun 6, 2017, 2:37 PM [ in reply to I more tend to look at the fact that ]

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, absolutely pathetic that it is.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Boy you just waisted 30 mins of your life

Jun 6, 2017, 8:36 AM

These people don't care. They just want to cry . No amount of facts will fill the whole in them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Boy you just waisted 30 mins of your life

Jun 6, 2017, 8:42 AM

It made me feel so much better to get it off my chest though! ??

I never get the draft excuse

Jun 6, 2017, 8:38 AM

Every team loses recruits or players to the draft early.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I never get the draft excuse

Jun 6, 2017, 8:45 AM

I agree but in the short time he has been here it hurt him. He wasn't necessarily prepared from a recruiting stand point yet to cope with losing Eli White, Okey, or Weston Wilson all at once. And then when he did he lost two candidates to potentially replace those guys in HS commits so it put him in a hole fast. Hence why Davidson had to play immediately as a freshman at SS, and Wilkie immediately behind the dish at C when Williams went down, etc.

Re: State of the Baseball Program

Jun 6, 2017, 8:40 AM

You have too much sense for the internet ??

Jun 6, 2017, 8:51 AM

EXCELLENT POST

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2017, 8:56 AM

I'd like to upvote this twice. All I heard about is how there will be no returning talent, and yet this team hosted an NCAA Regional and won 40+ games with basically an entire new infield and a rebuild bullpen. WE will be ok going forward.

Brooks Crawford, Mitchell Miller, Ryley Gilliam, Owen Griffith, Jacob Hennessey, and Jeremy Beasley will all be back and they ate some significant innings out of the bullpen.

Grayson Byrd, Seth Beer, Logan Davidson, Jordan Greene, and Kyle Wilkie will all definitely be back.

There's a lot of junior talent that we will probably see go pro, but getting any one of them back will be like getting a blue chip talent back: Alex Eubanks, Charlie Barnes, Reed Rohlman, Chase Pinder, Chris WIlliams, etc.

We got some major contributions from guys like Byrd, Davidson, Weston Jackson, Tyler Jackson, etc. guys that nobody had even heard of before February, so there will be more impact freshmen and more impact transfers that will help this team out.

Jun 6, 2017, 9:38 AM

I agree. I think we all will be shocked when a few guys all these pundits are expecting to leave stay. They love Monte. They love playing for him because he goes to war for them. That's a big influence/factor on guys who aren't sure fire Top 5 or 10 round guys. Plus Monte loves the JUCO transfers. Brought stud after stud in at COC yearly. He isn't scared to go outside of the box and find winners.

Jun 6, 2017, 6:17 PM

I love the monte lee hire and think he will do big things for clemson in the near future. Sometimes the game doesn't Go your way like last night. I think the delay may have cooled our bats down for the Monday game but that's baseball! It's not like legget left this man with all Americans at every position. It's going to take a couple of years for lee to get his own players in there. We had a good season, lee has got us to hosting region 2 years in a row and 40+ wins first 2 years. A lot of y'all also fail to remember that we let our faculties to become outdated and fell behind in recruiting. We have upgraded those things and are continuing to upgrade which will help bring in better recruits. For all the people that say lee should be fired or not a good hire are what's wrong with college sports these days. It's what have you done for me lately! It's only his second year with a young team and yes we didn't make it out of region 2 years but last year Ok st went on to the national title game and this yea we went down to last game in bad weather I'm proud of our team and Lee. Trust me HE WILL TAKE US BACK TO OMAHA VERY SOON. Give the man time legget didn't leave him with a team of all Americans sorry didn't happen so don't expect to go to CWS his first 2 years. He won a #### acc title his first year and hosted 2 regions with this last one coming down to winner take all and we had a bad game that's life.

Jun 6, 2017, 9:02 AM

Also we lost one of our best players in Chris Williams to an injury and I think it hurt us a lot more than people realize. This is something monte can't control. If we get all the people that can leave to stay or most of them this team will be very good next year. People are so impatient and quick to be negative and want lee fired. People saying that Lee was bad hire or w.e don't know crap about our baseball team and just see the results and go from that but there is a lot more to it than that!

Well written TigerFan027

Jun 6, 2017, 9:47 AM

I agree with you that Monte will get the job done in the future and for many years to come! They will be in Omaha sooner rather than later.

Why hasn't anyone

Jun 6, 2017, 11:09 AM

Remarked on well Beer developed with a years experience in this system. In one year he went from the best player in college baseball to a guy who didn't make all ACC? That's great coaching right there. A guy to develop a team around disappears.

I like coach Lee and I am glad he is the Tiger coach but there is work to do with this team. Let's all hope he gets it done

Re: Why hasn't anyone

Jun 6, 2017, 1:16 PM

2nd Team All-ACC is still an All-Conference nod. The reason why he went from .369/18 HR/70 RBI/0.535 OB% to .298/16 HR/53 RBI/0.478 OB% is because teams learned how to pitch to him. Seth Beer has holes in his swing and started off really slow.

He ended the season bringing his batting average up 50 points in his last 25 games or so, and it would keep going up if there were more games to be played.

Beer had more home runs than Adam Halsey, Reed Rohlman, and Brian Miller and one fewer than Stuart Fairchild has currently (1st team All-ACC selections.) He had more RBI than Miller and Rohlman, and 3 fewer RBI than Halsey. And a higher OB% than any 1st team All-ACC selection. The average sitting at .300 is the only thing holding him back, other than that you're splitting hairs on the other stats.

To expect him to be a world beater every season is not realistic. Chris Williams was a great 4 hole hitter but wasn't consistently healthy, and no matter the health factor or not he is not Chris Okey who Seth had hitting behind him all of 2016. Beer didn't have any pitches to hit for the first 2 months of the season. Teams will eventually learn to pitch to good hitters, and his stat line in 2017 is nothing to scoff at.

Jun 6, 2017, 2:08 PM

So when teams learned how to pitch to him he was no longer a factor in games? That is when the coaching begins and you learn to adapt to how you are being pitched to! You make changes. You do not continue to play the same way game after game . It doesn't take a genius to figure out things aren't working . When the opponent doesn't allow you pull the ball down the right field line you adjust! Several things can be done. Some as simple as adjusting your position on the box . Good hitting instructors are a great asset to a team with talented guys like Beer .

Jun 6, 2017, 2:35 PM

Seth Beer is always a factor in games. Teams still would rather pitch around Beer and take their chances with Williams, Pinder, Rohlman, etc.

I just politely disagree that hitting .298/16 HR/53 RBI is considered "not working" to be honest. It isn't as good as he was last season, but I don't consider that "not working."

Jun 6, 2017, 3:33 PM

There is hitting and there is TIMELY hitting. Not to be confused with each other.
surely you will agree that number28 wasn't quite as effective late in the season as he was last season or earlier this one. Striking out with the bases loaded against a bullpen guy doesn't work. A number of times this year a good line drive to the outfield would have been a great hit! A long fly caught by the right fielder is always a big out.

Jun 6, 2017, 5:36 PM

I'd like to add to what BKendall is saying. Not only do I agree with his rationale but also would like to add Beer has been walked 64 times this year and hit by pitch 14 times. It's hard to get into a rhythm with those kinds of numbers. Not to mention the ungodly pressure and unrealistic expectations that were put on him preseason. Much like Deshaun people strapped expectations to him that weren't realistic. Even when he wasn't being walked teams weren't exactly pitching to him. They pitched him close and hoped hed chase. As a 20 year old kid he did early in the season bc he felt like he had to do it all. He saw what people were writing and heard what people were expecting and he pressed early. But once he went back to being just Seth Beer he had quite the impressive season. 4-5 weeks in he was batting under .200. to finish at .300 with 16 HRs given the amount of times he was walked is IMPRESSIVE. Also to add to the remarks about him not getting the timely hit. What about down to our last out in Columbia? When Coastal intentionally walked Rohlman to loaded the bases in Clemson? His grand slam against Michigan State in Greenville? It's easy to cherry pick the most recent failure but if you look back more times than not this guy's produced when we needed him. He can't do it every time. Baseball is a game of failure and more times than not he's proven that to be wrong. I'm not suggesting he's super man but without him you're sitting at home the last two post seasons or at worst traveling as a 3 seed. Cherish Beer. You may not see another one like him for a while.

Nice post!

Jun 6, 2017, 12:46 PM

and didn't even have a baseball cap as user icon.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic