Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bowl question: It looks like MULTIPLE conferences may
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Bowl question: It looks like MULTIPLE conferences may

Nov 22, 2019, 8:56 AM

fall short of having enough bowl eligible teams this year to fulfill contractural obligations. Instead of stooping to taking 5-7 teams, could the bowls not instead take an FCS team with a good record that got knocked out of the playoffs early on? Seems to me that would generate more excitement than seeing a losing team get rewarded with a bowl trip. Is that allowable, if a bowl wanted to be bowled enough to do it?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bowl question: It looks like MULTIPLE conferences may

Nov 22, 2019, 9:21 AM

Bowls are financially contracted to conferences to provide teams. Conferences are not going to forfeit pay checks.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know a lot of folks like all the bowl games, but

Nov 22, 2019, 9:34 AM

the year UCLA with a losing record was selected for a slot made me begin to question the number of bowls.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are definitely too many bowls to my way of thinking.

Nov 22, 2019, 10:05 AM

Plus, they are obviously driven by TV money. If you look at the actual attendance, many of them have the stands only half full.

Nov 22, 2019, 9:36 AM

Maybe their are too many bowl games? Just a random thought.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 22, 2019, 9:56 AM

The AAC appears it will have 7 eligible.

The ACC will have 9 if UNC can win out vs Mercer and NC St.

The Big 12 will have 7 if TCU can beat WVU.

The Big 10 appears it will have 8.

Conference USA will have 7 if Charlotte can beat ODU.

The independents will contribute 3 unless Army can beat Navy or Hawaii to make it 4. (maybe a long shot)

It appears the MAC will finish with 7.

The MWC should finish with 7.

The PAC 12 will finish with 6 if Cal can win 1 of their last 2. (WOW that's terrible)

It appears the SEC will finish with 9.

Sun Belt should have 5.

That's 75 teams that will likely finish with 6 or more wins and I'm being pretty generous.

Get ready to see some more teams with 5 wins in bowl games this year everybody.....

On a side note, why does the ACC get bashed so heavily and the PAC 12 will likely have 3 fewer bowl eligible teams at the end of the year.

Nov 22, 2019, 10:19 AM

The ACC gets bashed because of the dropoff after clemson. If there was just one more competitive team, the narrative would change. See PAC12.

Nov 22, 2019, 10:47 AM

They have two teams with 1 loss but neither has beaten a ranked team for the entire season.

Nobody really knows how competitive either of them would be with the other national teams.

The only evidence we have of their strength at the top is Oregon blowing a lead to a soon-to-be 4 loss Auburn team.

Three points...

Nov 22, 2019, 11:18 AM

1. There have been no 'ranked' teams all year...only preseason 'bias-vision'.
2. No game is worth less for evaluation than the first game of the season. No trophies are handed out...no 'POY' awards are given. Only the media and delusional fans place weight on 'Game 1'.
3. Oregon is suffering from the same issues as Clemson...aka: media-itis. Oregon is legit.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic