Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bold predictions on Clemson's RBs this year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Bold predictions on Clemson's RBs this year

Aug 18, 2017, 8:58 AM

1. T. Etienne leads the team in rushing and is the starter the last quarter of the season. Elliot has said Travis is already the best running back on the team as far as carrying the ball. He just can't pass protect yet. Fuller is what he is (solid, but not a game changer), Choice seems to get hurt a lot, and Feaster just seems to be missing something. I'm predicting Travis gets the pass protection down decent enough to be the man near the end of the season.

The elevation of Etienne could have a negative impact on other guys because he's so young.

2. I think it's almost a guarantee that Choice graduates and transfers out at the end of the season. He's not going to be a 5th year Senior and want to sit behind a bunch of underclassmen.

3. If Feaster realizes that he may not ever be able to beat Travis out, I could see him losing weight and asking to change positions to WR. He would basically do what the Bills did with Spiller for a time when they wanted him on the field, but Fred Jackson was just too good for him to get a bunch of carries at RB. Feaster was notable and elite in high school because of what he did receiving at the RB position way more than what he did pounding between the tackles. He'd basically play Artavis Scott's 2 position and would still get carries on those jet sweeps.

4. Don't be surprised if we take 2 RBs this cycle as oppose to the initial thought of taking just 1 right now. We could potentially be looking at having only 2 or 3 RBs on scholarship by the end of the season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree with your opinions. I think Etienne comes in as a

Aug 18, 2017, 10:07 AM

Refreshing back similar to what feaster did last year but with more success. I think he breaks a few long runs. I don't think he understands the offense enough yet to be the every down back due to the complexity of our offense and understanding defenses etc as far as blocking etc. I think feaster takes the step to come the every down back by the end of the year and that next year feaster and Etienne will be beasts. I think feaster has slot of potential and just needs to take the next step forward. Although what I'm hearing from the coaches and his words as well, he is the one I worry about not reaching his potential if he doesn't take a big step forward this year. Choice and fuller are serviceable backs who are every down backs for right now. I think they're knowledge of the offense and ability to read opposing defenses keeps them in the mix barring an injury. Two backs? Are you talking '19 I guess? If you're thinking '18 then I'm not sure why when we haven't hit one yet. Id say one at most for '18 unless there is some attrition or injury that could happen but hasn't yet.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bold predictions on Clemson's RBs this year

Aug 18, 2017, 10:19 AM

Elliot has said that he likes what he has seen from all of the RB crew .
I enjoy the idea of Etienne having a great first year and playing well , because we love having multiple weapons in the backfield , though it has been rare at Clemson throughout our history .
I think Feaster will be our starter this year , and I think Fuller , Etienne and Choice carry a ton of the load as well .
Should be fun learning about these newer players and watching a couple of veterans re-emerge .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Aug 18, 2017, 10:24 AM

Barring injury, Fuller will have as many yards as all of the other RBs combined.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is legit thought - still thinking that it will be more

Aug 19, 2017, 7:05 PM

like thunder / lightning - CJ / Feaster.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2017, 10:32 AM

While I am thrilled to have Etienne as our latest RB, I thought that he has practiced mostly against the 2's & 3's. I might very well be wrong about that, but I did not realize that his huge runs were against the 1's. Somebody please correct me where wrong about that.

Personally, I think Fuller will do a great job this year, with Feaster running over, around, and thru defenders. We are good I think. Especially with the running prowess of KB, defenses are going to have to defend the run almost every play, even on 3rd-and-long IMO. At least I would if I were an opposing DC.

Etienne will have his time this year, and will be an incredible RB when he gets his chances. But I'm not sold that he takes the reins THIS year.

Agree with most of what you said. I don't think Etienne is

Aug 18, 2017, 10:38 AM

Ready to take reigns but I do wonder if you saw Elliott's interview yesterday. Just very intriguing to hear how natural of a runner he is and how his eyes are dogfood already and how the main thing he wants to do is not make him a worse runner. It's a lot of praise though he does sound like he's not ready to pick up what the defenses are doing quite yet to best pass protect. I think he has a bright future and I hope he gets some carries or kickoffs or something because purely running the ball he may be the best on our team. Feaster has the top end speed but I don't think is quite the ball runner that Etienne is

So good not dogfood!***

Aug 18, 2017, 10:39 AM

Re: So good not dogfood!***

Aug 18, 2017, 11:54 AM

Keep in mind Elliot said Ettienne is the fastest guy on the team yesterday

LOL...kept reading that and wondering "what the heck?"***

Aug 18, 2017, 11:57 AM [ in reply to So good not dogfood!*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Aug 18, 2017, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Bold predictions on Clemson's RBs this year ]

He's taking reps with the first team:
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2017/08/18/clemson-freshman-travis-ettienne-taking-first-team-reps-running-back/578152001/

IMO it's more likely that Etienne red shirts than starts @ RB

Aug 18, 2017, 11:43 AM

Right now, the highest praise he's received is that he may have shown enough to earn the right to simply travel with the team to away games.

That's a far cry from earning the starting role.

I think he will red shirt this year, and will travel with the team.

If dire circumstances dictate the need, Etienne may have his RS removed for depth purposes. He may even get some time on kick-off duty. But, he will not start at RB.

Honestly, I see Feaster as having a huge break-out season in 2017 now that he's finally fully healthy.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: IMO it's more likely that Etienne red shirts than starts @ RB

Aug 18, 2017, 4:39 PM

> Right now, the highest praise he's received is that
> he may have shown enough to earn the right to
> simply travel with the team to away games.
>
> That's a far cry from earning the starting role.
>
> I think he will red shirt this year, and will travel
> with the team.
>
> If dire circumstances dictate the need, Etienne may
> have his RS removed for depth purposes. He may even
> get some time on kick-off duty. But, he will not
> start at RB.
>
> Honestly, I see Feaster as having a huge break-out
> season in 2017 now that he's finally fully healthy.

Etienne will not redshirt this year unless he gets hurt. Almost 100% on that. I agree with the OP he's a starter sooner rather than later. If anything Elliot is underplaying how good Etienne is to keep expectations and a sense of entitlement off of him, but he's a young (redshirt freshman young) Wayne Gallman but with a fifth breakaway gear. The only thing limiting him is pass-pro and that, frankly, is less of an issue with Kelly Bryant under center.

We got massively lucky with Etienne. We whiffed on Cordarrian Richardson because Tresevant High School was (still) bent as sin, and somehow wound up with an upgrade who sort of dropped into our laps in the 11th hour because Alabama decided they would rather us have him than LSU. That's recruiting for ya.

As for Feaster, I don't think he changes position - if he's looking for PT, switching to WR at Clemson is not exactly the way to earn it - and I do think he plays a role. At the end of the day he's an explosive breakaway back. The problem is it looks like he's a space guy who just can't read the crease or cutback lane right now whereas Etienne very much can. That makes him a luxury back, a change-of-pace guy, somebody who will probably play the Zack Brooks role behind the feature guy. But a #1? Not until (or unless) his vision improves.

My feeling is that CJ Fuller starts as our feature guy, and is eventually displaced by Etienne.

Do you think Etienne plays against Kent State?

Aug 18, 2017, 8:46 PM

That would answer the RS debate immediately.

I guess we don't have long to wait before we see.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2017, 4:54 PM

1.Feaster earns the starting job and Etienne pushes him to become better and by mid year they are a 1-2 push to open up the passing game with both of them becoming lightning and thunder 2 with more speed and breakaway ability.

CJ will get a good many carries too as we dominate on the ground and through the air with Tee and Dion snagging the long balls and Feaster and Amari getting short passes that break for big gains.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

My prediction doesn't seem so bold now

Aug 19, 2017, 4:21 PM

Etienne is a straight up stud. He's just too good to keep off the field for long.

who would have thought some French dude would be so BA***

Aug 19, 2017, 7:21 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2017, 5:16 PM

1) I do not think Etienne will be the starter by season's end. I do think he will be like Fuller was in 2015. The #2 or #3 RB what will be off the radar until 2018 when people realized kid got a lot more snaps than they realized and maybe further ahead then some expected.

2) I can agree with you on Choice.

3) I see Clemson having a two back system to begin the year with Feaster and Fuller. "Fortissimo" can both block for the QB, catch the ball like Receivers, and good with the flow offense. As Etienne gets better acquainted with the role of the Clemson RB, he becomes the third option. While Gallman became the feature RB last year, this offense is designed for what Fuller and Feaster do. Gallman was never a threat when they went fast and sent the RB out on the boundary to go 5 wide and no blocker. Both Fuller and Feaster would be and it gives Bryant (or Cooper or Johnson) another option other than QB boot up the middle.

4) Doesn't quite make sense. What you are implying is that Etienne is a robot and he is not. Where the saying is "if you have more than one QB, then you have no QB," the opposite is true of RB. "If you only have one, you have none." Even if Etienne takes the #1 spot, you still need a #2 and #3. And you are saying all these upperclassmen are going to fuss about playing time and change positions or transfer, you are saying it will be only Etienne. Then what happens after we take 2 or 3 RB in the 2018 cycle? They will be better than Etienne and then he will be looking to transfer or switch positions?

The program doesn't work that way. It took them a minute to get to Gallman in 2014. It was the senior Howard, then Choice, then Gallman. And that was even when Gallman was averaging more than 5 yds a carry. And even in that year, when Gallman became the official starter, he had a backup in Zac Brooks, senior. So even if Etienne becomes #1 RB, they will play the others.

Aug 19, 2017, 5:42 PM

1 Fuller
2 Choice
3 Feaster

I agree there's a strong chance Choice leaves after the

Aug 19, 2017, 6:28 PM

season. I think it would take a pretty substantial improvement from him to avoid being 4th string by the latter part of the year.

I don't see any reason to doubt Feaster yet though. We will have to see how he does with an increased work load, but he averaged around 6ypc last year which was the highest on the team by a substantial margin, and he has the homerun capability we really need from the RB position.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic