Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bob Stoops = Captain Obvious on E$ECPN
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 68
| visibility 1

Bob Stoops = Captain Obvious on E$ECPN

May 10, 2013, 11:08 AM

No duh, dimwit...the SEC is top loaded & down trodden like most every conference in America---SEC just bends over further for ESPN to pump them full of hype.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/64045/bob-stoops-no-fan-of-bottom-half-of-sec

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bob Stoops = Captain Obvious on E$ECPN

May 10, 2013, 11:19 AM

I can't stand how ESPN tries to defend the SEC. Stoops made a perfectly valid point and ESPN tries everything to refute it. All you need to know about the SEC is the bottom half lost 30+ games to the top half of the conference. It is pretty easy to finish with winning records and 10 wins when every one of the bottom half teams gives you a W.

null

Sad thing is the bottom half is proud they lost to the top.

May 10, 2013, 11:22 AM

Man, I wish we could get in the MNC and beat one of these guys. ESPN would go into meltdown mode.

Re: Point for that. Very well said.

May 12, 2013, 3:21 PM

And explains perfectly the odd way the lower level teams ingratiate themselves after a team takes something from them. It's almost obedient behavior and it's friggin WEIRD.

I'm actually getting more tired of the anti-SEC crap here

May 10, 2013, 11:23 AM

than the pro-SEC crap everywhere else.

Most conferences have a couple of top teams and maybe 3-4 in the entire conference that are even capable of being elite top 15 programs. The SEC had 6 last season a lone, and two more in Auburn and Tennessee that have both the history and potential to be up there, and they have each won national titles in the last 15 years. Those were two of their "bottom" programs.

Then you have a school like Vandy that people like to make fun of but routinely kicks the crap out of equivalent ACC teams like Wake and Duke and is fielding a pretty decent football team these days.

Mississippi St gets beat up in their division but is usually a pretty solid team. They have a tendency to go like 3-5 in conference then smoke somebody like Michigan in a bowl.

About the only teams that routinely suck are Kentucky and Mississippi, and likely Missouri now, but they have all had some successful seasons in the last 5-10 years.

Downvote away, i know it's coming.***

May 10, 2013, 11:27 AM

I like Bob Stoops...

May 10, 2013, 11:46 AM

I think he's trying to stick up for his program and his conference, but what he said was idiotic and doesn't make sense. His point wasn't valid.

Teams have to lose games-- they have to play each other. Not every team can go undefeated. When you take all the wins and all the losses in a conference, you get .500 and that goes for every conference, every year. That's the way it works.

The top 6 teams in the SEC finished a combined 68-12 last year. That works out to an average record of 11.3 wins vs. 2 losses. That is insane. On top of that, Vandy, Miss St., and Ole Miss all went bowling. That's 9 teams bowling out of 14.

I have as much "SEC fatigue" as the next guy, but numbers and on-field results are hard to argue against. I hope it changes soon, but "propoganda" is not what it is. These are facts, and Stoops got them wrong.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see where you're coming from, but I look at it differently

May 10, 2013, 12:17 PM [ in reply to I'm actually getting more tired of the anti-SEC crap here ]

I tend to look at bowl season records as that will typically pit evenly matched teams from differing conferences against each other. If memory serves me correctly the SEC's bowl record has been middle of the pack year in year out. I'd have to go back and do an average of the last 5 or so years to then get an idea of which conference has been the most consistent.

#1 - WAC (2) San Jose State & Utah State 2-0 1.000
#2 - C-USA (5) ECU, Rice, SMU, Tulsa & UCF 4-1 .800
#3 - Big East (5) Cincinnati, Louisville, Pitt, Rutgers & Syracuse 3-1 .750
#4 - ACC (6) Clem, Duke, FSU, GT, NC St & VT 4-2 .667
#5 Big 12 (9) Bay, ISU, K-St., OU, Okls St, Texas, TCU, TT & WVU 4-3 .571
#6 - Independents (3) BYU, Navy & Notre Dame 1-1 .500
#6 - SEC (9) Ala.,Fla.,UGA, LSU, Miss, MSU, USC, TA&M & Vandy 3-3 .500
#8 - Pac-12 (8) Ariz, ASU, Ore., Ore. St., Stan, UCLA, USC & Wash 3-4 .429
#9 - Sun Belt (4) Ark St, La.-Laf., La.-Monroe & WKU 1-2 .333
#10 - MAC (7) Ball St., BGSU, CMU, Kent St., NIU, Ohio & Toledo 2-4 .333
#11 - Big Ten (7) Mich, MichSt, Minn, Neb, N’western, Pur & Wis 2-5 .286
#12 - MWC (5) AF, Boise, Fresno St., Nevada & San Diego St. 1-4 .250

Re: I see where you're coming from, but I look at it differently

May 10, 2013, 12:20 PM

Source: http://www.goherd.com/football/1188-bowl-records-by-conference-and-bowl-games-remaining-for-2012-13-bowl-week

Looking at the numbers again it appears that the SEC and Big 12 tied with the most teams appearing in a bowl game which probably pulls down the winning percentage since there are more chances to lose. However, if you listen to the media you're led to believe that absolutely no SEC team can be beat by an OOC foe unless the SEC team was "not interested" in being at the bowl game a la Florida's lose to Louisville.

Those numbers aren't complete. That was compiled on

May 10, 2013, 2:21 PM

January 2nd with 4 games yet to be played. The SEC appeared in 3 of those games and won all 3. I've updated the standings correctly (i think!) below.

WAC (2) San Jose State & Utah State 2-0 1.000
C-USA (5) ECU, Rice, SMU, Tulsa & UCF 4-1 .800
SEC (9) Ala.,Fla.,UGA, LSU, Miss, MSU, USC, TA&M & Vandy 6-3 .667
ACC (6) Clem, Duke, FSU, GT, NC St & VT 4-2 .667
Big East (5) Cincinnati, Louisville, Pitt, Rutgers & Syracuse 3-2 .600
Pac-12 (8) Ariz, ASU, Ore., Ore. St., Stan, UCLA, USC & Wash 4-4 .500
Big 12 (9) Bay, ISU, K-St., OU, Okls St, Texas, TCU, TT & WVU 4-5 .444
Independents (3) BYU, Navy & Notre Dame 1-2 .333
Sun Belt (4) Ark St, La.-Laf., La.-Monroe & WKU 2-2 .500
MAC (7) Ball St., BGSU, CMU, Kent St., NIU, Ohio & Toledo 2-5 .286
Big Ten (7) Mich, MichSt, Minn, Neb, N’western, Pur & Wis 2-5 .286
MWC (5) AF, Boise, Fresno St., Nevada & San Diego St. 1-4 .200

Another thing to consider is that "evenly matched teams"

May 10, 2013, 2:25 PM [ in reply to Re: I see where you're coming from, but I look at it differently ]

isn't really a great comparison tool as to evenly match stronger conferences they inherently must play against stronger competition in the bowls than weaker conferences.

The ACC had the same record as the SEC in the bowls, but the SEC wins included a national championship beatdown, A&M crushing Oklahoma, USC and UGA beating two of the top Big Ten teams, etc

May 10, 2013, 12:50 PM [ in reply to I see where you're coming from, but I look at it differently ]

If your No.1 and No.2 team heads to the BCS then it makes it harder to have equal match ups on down the line. Clemson was No.2 in the ACC ( probably No.1 ) and they played the No. 5 or No.6 team in the SEC. The regular season produced wins over Michigan (Ala) and who can forget the SEC/ACC match ups on the last week of the season. Even our bottom feeder Tennessee beat NC State which beat your champion FSU. In the scheme of things....top to bottom the SEC is above everyone else. Hating it....down playing it...saying it isn't so is not going to change that. There are teams OOC that can beat our conference teams but they usually are the best teams in the other conferences and most of the time they can't do it....as Kid Rock says...."it ain't bragging if you can back it up "! The ACC with out Clemson and Florida St. really would be off the radar.....really...

May 11, 2013, 12:11 PM

So? In 2008 Ole Miss beat SEC champ and eventual NC Florida yet lost to Wake Forest and Vandy who also got beat by Wake

Re: I'm actually getting more tired of the anti-SEC crap here

May 10, 2013, 6:08 PM [ in reply to I'm actually getting more tired of the anti-SEC crap here ]

Wake Forest has won three of the last four against vandy and fsu has won two of the last three against Uf also two of the top teams in the sec lost to acc and big east teams. In 2011 Georgia went 7-1 in sec play yet lost to the only two decent ooc opponents they played ( boise state and Michigan state) neither of which was an elite team

Vandy beat Wake 55-21 this year and 41-7 last year.***

May 10, 2013, 10:24 PM

Re: Vandy beat Wake 55-21 this year and 41-7 last year.***

May 10, 2013, 10:49 PM

You are right but wake won three straight before that

Re: Vandy beat Wake 55-21 this year and 41-7 last year.***

May 10, 2013, 10:50 PM

Oh and Tennessee lost 5 straight games to ACC teams before beating NC State last year

Well said. There's nothing more embarrassing than having a

May 11, 2013, 9:27 AM [ in reply to I'm actually getting more tired of the anti-SEC crap here ]

fan base full of sore complainers. Does nothing to help recruit high schoolers that visit this site.

SEC hype is actually GOOD for us since we have rivals in that conference and at least 2 games per year against them. By all means, flame away!

Re: Well said. There's nothing more embarrassing than having a

May 11, 2013, 9:57 AM

If a kid wants to play in the SEC then Clemson playing 2 schools from there is not going to sway a kid to sign with you. I think some kids think they may get lost in the SEC glut of great players and see the ACC as a way to separate themselves from those players. It would be easier to stand out if your competition was not as large. That is evident by the NFL draft. The great players mostly sign with SEC schools ( insert your Alabama baloney here...). There are exceptions (Watkins being one) but for the most part, starts in the ACC would be marginal in the SEC.

May 11, 2013, 9:58 AM

can't edit....that was suppose to say stars in the ACC would be marginal players in the SEC. Not flaming....just facts.

May 11, 2013, 10:31 AM

That is one of the most idiotic things I have ever read on here. Everyone said that Hopkins would not be able to put up the same numbers against SEC competition yet he had I think his 3rd most single yardage game against the second best defense in the SEC. The ACC is consistently right behind the SEC in NFL quality talent and actually has the most players currently on NFL rosters I believe.

May 11, 2013, 10:59 AM

To use an isolated team or player in one game is, as you say, idiotic. You can take many one game incidents and justify or paint any picture you want. The OVERALL fact remains that there are more superior players in the SEC than the ACC. You could argue there are more than twice as many. Nuk , while being a good player, didn't face SEC defenses week after week. That is the tale of the tape. Not a one game highlight video against the 5th best team in the SEC. I could use the same argument and say...well they said Hopkins couldn't play against SEC quality defenses and South Carolina proved them right. Your argument is the one that is...again as you say...idiotic.

May 11, 2013, 11:12 AM

5th best team? so who are the 4 teams better than LSU? The coots? Nope they lost to LSU. Florida? Beat them but lost to a big east team that struggled against big east competition. Georgia? Didn't play head to head but probably would have lost to LSU. A&M? nope lost to LSU. LSU was the second best team in the SEC at worst 3rd. Hopkins had a TD against USuC in two out of three games and the only reason he didn't have more production is bc the D-line was getting consistent pressure on the QB. USuC's corners would not have started on half of the ACC's teams. There are probably ten teams outside of the SEC that could have won 11 games with A&M's schedule, the only good teams they beat all year were Alabama and Oklahoma.

May 11, 2013, 11:15 AM

Also Clemson played against 38 players that were drafted this year while USuC played against 43 players that were drafted this year, not a huge difference in the number of NFL quality players on the two teams schedules

May 11, 2013, 11:28 AM

A lot of them from SEC schools no less

May 11, 2013, 11:42 AM

You said that stars in the ACC would be mediocre in the SEC which is like I said idiotic. Many of those stars go straight into the NFL and contribute right away. Kavell Connor and Jacoby Ford were above average players but never super stars yet both started as rookies and were rookie All-Pro players but would have been average in the SEC. Hahaha I can name example after example if you like to prove how idiotic your statement was

May 11, 2013, 11:51 AM

For the most part I am right. I didn't say there were no exceptions. I think in a whole picture concept where as you once again pointed out individual exceptions to make your argument. Get it together and come at me with relative facts not individual exceptions. You could do that until the sun goes down and not prove your point.....I don't have to prove mine because it has already been proven.

May 11, 2013, 12:13 PM

No you are wrong and if you were right every player from the SEC would get drafted ahead of every player form the ACC good thing NFL scouts are a lot smarter than you are or the NFL would be loaded with a bunch of mediocre SEC players

May 11, 2013, 12:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Well said. There's nothing more embarrassing than having a ]

I used a few recent examples of just Clemson players I could go across every NFL roster and every ACC team but you would still have excuses so I'm not wasting any more time on your idiocy bc you can't accept factual information bc it disproves your original statement

May 11, 2013, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Well said. There's nothing more embarrassing than having a ]

And Andre Ellington had 200+ yards against Auburn how many SEC backs had that kind of production against them? He had 417 yards in three games against Auburn

May 11, 2013, 11:28 AM

Who didn't beat up on Auburn this past year ? Weak arguments won't do it .

May 11, 2013, 11:43 AM

How many of those teams had that kind of production against them? Andre had 140 against them the year they won the NC

May 11, 2013, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Well said. There's nothing more embarrassing than having a ]

Alabama, Texas A&M, Florida, and Georgia....and South Carolina were ranked a head of LSU....but we will use the 4 teams rated higher before the bowls to prove my point. The corners that we have and our defense held Clemson to their lowest points (17) of the year. To even suggest that ANY ACC team was better than us just goes to say Clemson was not even the best ACC team. The things you say make your team look worse. Some Clemson fans trash teams that beat them head to head and then try to win that game by proxy. You try to beat us with a win over LSU in a bowl game ? You guys had every reason (national TV, payback after 3 losses in a row, home field, and we were playing with a backup QB and RB) to win that game. You didn't....now quit trying to go back and win it by beating LSU in a bowl game that they didn't want to go to in the first place. They wanted the Cotton Bowl and got PO'd when Texas A&M got the Cotton Bowl instead. If you want to talk about football head to head ( include the past if you must ) I will. You just want to talk silly junk...

I love coots. You actually made a few good points then

May 11, 2013, 11:31 AM

threw out the old "bowl they didn't want to go to" drivel. Yeah, we all know that's the only explanation for Clemson beating LSU last year and UT in 2003. It had nothing to do with us playing a better game, or LSUs entire defense needing oxygen to finish the game.

Re: I love coots. You actually made a few good points then

May 11, 2013, 11:35 AM

....facts are facts....it was all over the media and was no secret to anyone in the nation that LSU felt cheated by being placed in the Chic Fil A Bowl. The only people that don't want to admit that LSU didn't want to be there is a delusional minority of the Clemson fans. I guess they don't keep up with the outside world.

May 11, 2013, 11:37 AM [ in reply to I love coots. You actually made a few good points then ]

I didn't say ti was an excuse for losing.....I said they didn't want to be there. The loss is on them non the less.

May 11, 2013, 12:06 PM

You SEC homer ###### bags love to tout the SEC's bowl record but then when an SEC team loses they "didn't care".

Hilarious.

I would think a team from a conference with so much pride would be licking its chops to go up against a top team in another conference.

May 11, 2013, 12:15 PM

I didn't say they didn't care...you are putting words in my mouth. I said, and it is a fact....they did NOT want to go to the Chic Fil A bowl and were upset that Texas A&M got the Cotton Bowl instead. Now it was up to them to play well...or lose the bowl game. Like I said that was on them...not the SEC....We took care of our business with the Clemson win and a bowl win. All is well in Gamecock Nation !!!

May 11, 2013, 12:23 PM

You barely got past Michigan in your bowl game and should have lost to be honest.

We were dissapointed as well to be going to the Chick Fila bowl. A win vs Scar would have most likely sent us to the Sugar Bowl. Doesn't mean we half assed it and neither did LSU. They came out of the gate ready to play, forced a turnover and immediately went up 7-0.

It's hilarious the month leading up to the game all we heard was how LSU was gonna pound it down our throat, and we weren't ready for a mighty SEC team.

Well we were. So was Lousiville.

May 11, 2013, 12:29 PM

Louisville was a Big East team dude. I see you are not even popular with your own fan base with your 50% pulse....that said. You should have lost also I think we both won in the same fashion. Last few minutes of the game. The Gamecock Nation is doing fine and we will settle this on the field in November when the two teams square off. You may continue to talk your irrelevant trash in ....1...2....3...

May 11, 2013, 3:50 PM

I know what conference Lousiville plays in and it's one that you SEC homers consider "inferior", yet they knocked off a mighty SEC team who also was the #3 team in the nation at the time.

We barely won yea but again we were told for a month leading up to the game we didn't have a chance. I actually watched the game with a few coot fans. The look on their face when we made that last second field goal was priceless as I'm sure yours was as well.

May 11, 2013, 4:20 PM

I had no dog in that fight. I was pulling for LSU because they are an SEC team. Clemson fans make fun of the SEC "thing" but it is the rabid fan bases that make the conference the most powerful. SEC fans are going to watch and pull for SEC teams no matter who they play. If you think hating FSU and pulling against them helps your league you are sadly mistaken. It all translates into a strong market no matter which teams are playing. That has not gone unnoticed by ESPN, CBS, or any of the candidates that will sign onto the SEC Network. ACC fans have the wrong mentality. You are only as strong as your weakest link. You should always pull for conference teams in OOC games. SEC teams can lose....sure....but more times than not, they are going to win. The bowl games are not a true measuring stick for what a team can do. Arkansas was a preseason top 10 but once the wheels fell off it just wasn't the same. The SEC teams ALL expect to win out and go for the National Championship.....any thing less is a disappointment. LSU, Florida, Georgia, Texas A&M, and us all had it there for the taking and all fell short and disappointed. The bowl games just don't carry the same luster when you think you should have done better. No excuse....just facts. That said...things are great in Gamecock Nation.

May 11, 2013, 4:28 PM

Sitting your fat ### on the couch chanting SEC at the TV when Ole Miss is playing has no bearing on the outcome of the game.

Scar expects to win and play for national championships? Wow. I mean you have one conference championship and one division title in over 100 years of football. The one time you made it to the SEC title game you got embarrassed worse than we did in the OB. Now all of a sudden your dissapointed not to be in the national title game? Lol.

May 11, 2013, 11:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Well said. There's nothing more embarrassing than having a ]

Hahaha LSU beat you head to head therefore they are a better team than you. Had they beaten Clemson they would have been ranked higher than you nice try. I never said Clemson was better than USuC. You beat us head to head and that is what matters. I am disproving your idiotic statement that stars in the ACC would be mediocre in the SEC. Your D-line is what held Clemson to 17 points it is hard for a QB to complete passes on his back. And the old LSU didn't want to be there argument is tired and old fact is after the game their D was collapsing on the field not a sign of players that werent giving it their all.

May 11, 2013, 12:18 PM

You just proved my point. They didn't prepare for the game and got beat. They were out of shape or they wouldn't have been dropping. We didn't drop like flies with your offense. We were prepared for the game against you guys.

May 12, 2013, 10:56 AM

DJswagthreesix is that you?

May 12, 2013, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Well said. There's nothing more embarrassing than having a ]

it's a sign that the players didn't give it their all in practice/while conditioning for the game.

May 12, 2013, 12:50 PM

Hahaha another dumb coot with pathetic excuses. Well Clemson only lost to USuC in 2009 and 2011 because we had a conference championship game the next week. I mean if we are going to make up pathetic excuses then that is just as valid an excuse as yours

May 12, 2013, 1:00 PM

I don't need to make excuses for LSU....we beat you 4 times in a row so I am fine with the results of that. You take the beating of LSU and convince yourself that the National Championship is yours for the taking because you beat the team that finished as the 5th best in the SEC in a bowl game that they did not want to be in. I salute your unbridled passion for the inevitable disappointment. I think Clemson has a good team and will win the ACC but the idea that they can beat us at WB and beat a probable SEC in a title game is more than just a stretch..IMO.

May 12, 2013, 2:16 PM

LSU also went 11-2 in 2005 and wound up in the Chick fila bowl. They beat #9 ranked Miami 40-3. I guess they wanted to be there that year.

May 12, 2013, 2:19 PM

There may or not been a controversy that year...I don't know or care. I said LSU didn't want to be there...they wanted the Cotton Bowl and were PO'd that Texas A&M got that. That was played out in the media so it was no secret about their dissatisfaction with the SEC over bowl placement. That is a fact....they lost the game and that is also a fact. I made no excuses...I stated facts.

May 12, 2013, 2:25 PM

Lol. Ok here's a fact. We wanted the OB but lost to FSU and were pissed about it. We also wanted the Sugar Bowl but lost to Scar and we were pissed about.

I guess using your logic we didn't want to be at the chick fila bowl either.

Oh and we had a few players with their foot out the door to the draft as well. One of them had 13 catches for 191 yards and 2 TD's.

May 12, 2013, 2:38 PM

You forgot one fact....LSU was passed over for the bowl they thought they deserved....Clemson on the other hand lost to us and played their way out of the Sugar bowl. If you blame yourself you usually react different than you do when you blame someone else. The Clemson team was angry because they played themselves out....LSU felt like they got cheated out....apple and oranges.

May 12, 2013, 2:41 PM

Seems to me that's more of a reason to want to slaughter Clemson and prove they desered the Cotton Bowl.

May 12, 2013, 2:48 PM

Oh God....get real....you are looking to turn the LSU win into a National Championship game. Congradulations you beat the 5th best SEC team in the Chic Fil A bowl. I will inform Saban that Alabama will have to vacate their title because of it...feeling better....you are not looking any smarter.

the notion that we can't beat usuc at the roach is easily

May 13, 2013, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Well said. There's nothing more embarrassing than having a ]

the dumbest post you have made on tiger net, and that is not an opinion. and wth is "beat a probable SEC in a title game" supposed to mean?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm actually getting more tired of the anti-SEC crap here

May 12, 2013, 8:05 AM [ in reply to I'm actually getting more tired of the anti-SEC crap here ]

When has masu smoked someone " like Michigam" ( the alltime winningest program in D-1)?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 10, 2013, 1:30 PM

I guess you glossed over this little factoid:

"But the SEC also saw five teams win at least 10 games and all nine teams that went bowling finished with winning records. Seven SEC teams finished the 2012 season ranked in the Associated Press Top 25, including five in the top 10. Both led the country. The SEC also went 6-3 in bowl games, including Alabama's pounding of then-No. 1 Notre Dame team in the Discover BCS National Championship."

May 10, 2013, 11:10 PM

One of those top ten teams was 7-6 last year in the Big 12 and had not had more than 9 wins in a season since 1998 yet had 11 wins their first year of SEC play. Not only did A&M allow 7 less ppg they scored 4 ppg more with an SEC schedule.

They obviously were given SEC speed when they joined.

May 10, 2013, 11:11 PM

Duh.

Re: They obviously were given SEC speed when they joined.

May 11, 2013, 3:24 AM

After years of facing high-powered offenses, they did well against the simplistic offenses of the SEC and confounded the almighty Alabama with their Big 12 offense.

Adding a good coach and a Heisman-winning QB probably had

May 11, 2013, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Bob Stoops = Captain Obvious on E$ECPN ]

nothing to do with that. I'm sure it was 100% the change of conferences. They also completely demolished the Big XII co-champs in the Cotton Bowl.

Are you really suggesting they would've had a worse record playing in the Big XII last year?

Re: Adding a good coach and a Heisman-winning QB probably had

May 11, 2013, 11:52 AM

Every single player that played for them last year was recruited to play in the Big 12. Question is would the QB have won the heisman in the Big 12? Big twelve defenses are used to seeing spread offenses every week while SEC teams are more used to seeing ball control pro style offenses. Look at A&M's schedule and tell me you don't think Clemson could beat every team they beat except Bama.

Re: Adding a good coach and a Heisman-winning QB probably had

May 11, 2013, 5:51 PM [ in reply to Adding a good coach and a Heisman-winning QB probably had ]

Their 2011 QB was decent. Well good enough to be a starting NFL QB in 2012.
The A&M defense did have an easier time with the SEC offenses. The only team that scored a lot on them was LaTech. In the Big 12, there would have been more scores like that 59-57 and whether they would have come out on top as many times is a good question.

Kevin Sumlin is very good. Hope he stays there for a while.

that is not a fact. that is your opinion.

May 11, 2013, 10:07 AM

There's a difference

May 12, 2013, 7:57 AM

Two thinks:

1) The number of bowl games your conference goes to is not a rating of how good your conference is except as a measure of a) your conference ability to negoitate, b) the number of bowls in your region c) how will your fans travel.

2) SEC has a great winning percentage but look who they play OOC. The FACT year in and year out is that the SEC plays fewer BCS game and more 1-AA games than any other BCS conference. That's how they get bowl eligible.

That's partly true, but they also win the lion's share of

May 12, 2013, 5:42 PM

the big OOC games that the do schedule. A few schools such as Bama and LSU haven't shied away from playing good OOC opponents. In the last 5 years Bama has played Clemson, VT, Penn St x2, and Mighigan, and won pretty much all 5 in blowout fashion.

LSU has played VT, Washington twice (who happened to suck in those years), UNC, and Oregon, and have won all 5 as well.

Coots have beaten us 4 in a row.
Florida has won 7 of the last 9 vs FSU.
UGA has won 11 of the last 12 against GT.

Re: That's partly true, but they also win the lion's share of

May 12, 2013, 10:38 PM

Yea and in the early 2000s Alabama was supposed to play Penn State but backed out of the game bc they didnt want to lose and recently Tennessee canceled games against UNC bc they wanted to schedule an FCS opponent

I'll bite

May 12, 2013, 11:09 PM

Are the sec rankings skewed? Yea. We could babble and argue about how and why but it doesn't change that. Have they won several titles in a row? Yea but uf and Bama shoulder most of that load, if Texas QB doesn't get hurt 1st half vs Bama or scam doesn't arrive at auburn to pay "his dad" after he bailed from uf after stealing laptops or whatever then the sec has won the last what 2? Are those legit? Idk, ok st deserved a SHOT vs LSU, and it was uncanny how ND made the game much less was ranked #1. Put Alabama up against ok st, Oregon, Clemson in regular season without extra time to prepare and would you be shocked if they lost 2 of 3? I wouldn't. Look what a&m did their first year in sec play...

They are on top, but a lot of smoke and mirrors are in place to keep the secespn money machine operating efficiently. See patsy teams scheduled before ooc rivalry games. LSU and Bama will gladly play the va tech, michigan, and oregons of the world with ample time to prepare. The middle to bottom of the sec rarely beats the top few teams in the sec. Things are shifting slowly and everyone is noticing, including espn who isn't pumping them up quite as much as trying to discredit others.

Replies: 68
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic