Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bo Scarbrough -- was he really dominating
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 3,030

Bo Scarbrough -- was he really dominating

Jan 22, 2017, 11:19 AM
Scarbrough.JPG(56.4 K)

I live in Munich, Germany. I stayed up and watched the OSU game and was sick part of the next week. On a work night, and still getting back to 100%, I couldn't convince myself to get up at 2am to watch it all. So I got up at about 5:30am to watch the end of the game. And what a finish it was!!!

In any case. Scarbrough was out and I kept hearing the commentators explain how dominant he had been and how he was missed. In the days that followed, the highlights showed how he was peeling off huge runs. It fit the narrative -- 'big 'Bama back runs over opposing defenses'. The reactions following the game seemed to echo this as well.

But I didn't see what they were talking about. I thought we shut him down mostly. I felt like our defense did a pretty good job. Except for those 2 long runs -- of course. You can't ignore those, but I still don't think they were representative of how well we played them overall.

Below are data I took from the game. I captured this data from sirvizalot's amazing visual of every play from the game here: http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=20917666#20917666

In short -- his median (not average) rush for the game was 3yd. That's pretty good.
But if one takes away the two long runs, he only averaged 2.2 and 3 of his 16 runs (just under 20%) going for negative yards.

So yeah - we got burned on a couple. You have to give him credit. But we otherwise really controlled him very well and I think the defense deserves more credit than we were getting.

Case in point -- compare his 1st 8 runs to his last 8 runs. We adjusted and I don't think his staying in the game would have made a difference.

Rushes: 16
Total: 93
Avg: 5.81
Median: 3
1st 8 runs: 71
Last 8 runs: 22
Avg. without 2 TD runs: 2.21

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

It reminded me a lot of Dalvin Cook the last 2 yrs

Jan 22, 2017, 11:48 AM

In DV last year, he had a couple big runs and then we shut him down.

This year on Tally he had several short runs and then would gash us... all game.

Without him playing the whole game it is impossible to say whether Scarborough would have resembled Cook of 2015 or 2016 and what the cumulative effect of his running would have been. What I am certain of is injuries happen to both teams and you have to overcome them. Ferrell went out for us, Scarborough for them. We overcame and won the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Exactamundo.....exactly the same player

Jan 22, 2017, 12:10 PM

I thought of. Fast starts, then contained for the most part....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. When I rewatched it a few days ago, I

Jan 22, 2017, 12:08 PM

realized just how contained he was long before the injury. Could he have gotten them a third down conversion here and there during that fourth quarter stopfest we unleashed on them? Who knows....who cares.

You're correct

Jan 22, 2017, 12:21 PM

They had put up a graphic about Bo just before he went out of the game about his lack of production since early 2nd quarter (I think it was 17 yds in last 7 carries). His success on the two edge runs was more due to our lack of aggression on those two plays. We changed our approach to those wide runs the rest of the game. We also lost Ferrell well before they lost Bo.

Re: You're correct

Jan 22, 2017, 1:10 PM

His success on the edge was on uncalled holds.

Re: You're correct

Jan 22, 2017, 1:13 PM [ in reply to You're correct ]

When I watched the replay last week I jotted down when Ferrell and Scarbrough left the game. Ferrell left at the 7:00 mark of the 3rd and Scarbrough left with 2:19 remaining in the 3rd quarter.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MASSIVE HOLDS by Bama NOT called.

Jan 22, 2017, 2:14 PM

That was the real difference. Go back and take a look as the big runs to see the obvious holds.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Flag those HOLDS and find that he aint the Boogeyman***

Jan 22, 2017, 2:16 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes he did a great job against a tough defense***

Jan 22, 2017, 2:18 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: yes he did a great job against a tough defense***

Jan 22, 2017, 3:05 PM

He got up and walked off the field with a broke leg . They say The Bear played on after brealing hisun . But again they said He could take hisun and beat Yourun . or he could take Yourun
and beat hisun . But I don't think he ever saw the coots .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

given the fact that Hurts went 30 yds untouched

Jan 22, 2017, 5:29 PM

through a flagging DL and LB corps

for their last TD,

I'd say we benefitted

from not having to try to tackle Scarborough in the 4th quarter.

Likely Bama benefitted from not having to block Clelin Ferrell

in the 3rd and 4th quarters as well.

Injuries - they're part of football -

and there's no need to try to diminish what Scarborough did

while he was in the game.

Replies: 11
| visibility 3,030
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic