Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Birmingham Bowl: Overtime rules question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Birmingham Bowl: Overtime rules question

Dec 30, 2016, 10:22 AM

This is a bit in the weeds, but hear me out. When Bentley fumbled on fourth down in overtime, a USF player recovered and attempted a return. He then fumbled, and a USC player dove on the ball. My question is, Should USC have been given a fresh set of downs? There was a clear change of possession when USF recovered Bentley's fumble, but then there was another clear change of possession when USC recovered the subsequent fumble. I guess my question is, did the game officially end with USF recovering Bentley's fumble -- thereby ending USC's overtime possession -- and was the return and subsequent fumble merely moot? Or was the play active all the way through to USC's recovery of the USF fumble. If so, I can see a pretty good argument for giving USC a fresh set of downs. Also, if the play was active, USC theoretically could have returned the second fumble for a game-tying touchdown. I've not seen that scenario before and am just curious.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The most logical explanation I've heard is that

Dec 30, 2016, 10:29 AM

In each overtime period, each side gets one "possession." As soon as Bentley fumbled and the USF player recovered and clearly had possession, USC's one possession for the period ended. Since USC's one possession ended (and USF had already had their possession and scored), the game ended immediately. Thus, the subsequent fumble by USF and recovery by USC did not matter. USC was not allowed to have a second possession in the same overtime period.

Now, I don't have rule cites or anything for this, but it made the most sense out of the explanations I have seen.

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Birmingham Bowl: Overtime rules question

Dec 30, 2016, 10:37 AM

USF didn't play USC, and Bentley plays for SCAR, so this is obviously a hypothetical question.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2016, 10:41 AM

I believe the initial change of possession ended the game. I was once told that the Defense couldn't return a turnover for points in OT for this exact reason.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Come on guys. Bentley should be in hs********

Dec 30, 2016, 10:43 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Come on guys. Bentley should be in hs********

Dec 30, 2016, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Birmingham Bowl: Overtime rules question ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2016, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Birmingham Bowl: Overtime rules question ]

The defense can return it for points. Happened with Clemson against Duke years ago. Clemson scored first and then had a pick 6 to close out the game.

I remember that play...

Dec 30, 2016, 11:01 AM

I wonder if the rules have changed since then. If so, then Clemson may hold the record for largest margin of victory in an overtime game.

Dec 30, 2016, 10:47 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=20745779#20745779

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

when it happened, I had the same

Dec 30, 2016, 10:55 AM

Reaction and immediate questiion. After seeing the replay it was a moot point for this particular game. The USF guy never had secured the ball to qualify as possession so the correct call and one a replay would have concluded would have been USC recovery of the Bentley fumble and Carolinas possession ending on downs since it was 4th down. I still have the hypothetical question you present and not sure anyone has pointed to a rule to cover that. Given a team can return for a score, it would seem odd that they could not fumble back and the game not continue but who knows.

Game was over - Here is the rule

Dec 30, 2016, 11:11 AM

From the NCAA rulebook. Scar is Team A in the rule.

Rule 3, section 1, article 3, letter e

e. Team series: Each team retains the ball during a series until it scores or fails to make a first down. The ball remains alive after a change of team possession until it is declared dead. However, Team A may not have a first and 10 if it regains possession after a change of team possession (A.R. 3-1-3-I-IX).

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic