Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ga Southern's ERK RUSSELL has TWO Statues of him BUT Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 4,140

Ga Southern's ERK RUSSELL has TWO Statues of him BUT Clemson

Jan 4, 2015, 1:12 PM

has NONE for John Heisman, Frank Howard..OR Danny Ford (when he passes on).

Saying..it's unreal to walk up to a bigger than life-size statue of ERK (outside & inside in their stadium)..read what he accomplished and see his motto: "ONE MORE TIME" since he/they were big in winning NC Trophies left & right (5 in about 10 years!). It inspired me still even though I have followed him at UGa and then at GaSouthern.

I would love for a statue to be commissioned for John Heisman since he actually was the face of Clemson smash-mouth & winning football from 1900-03 (our 4th HC)...plus have it placed at the new West End Zone steps..and let visitors as well as new Tiger Fans learn that Clemson actually has a HEISMAN....not in the form of a trophy winner, but in having the real Man himself..the inventor of many formations and/or procedures..like the center snap.

Other schools have large stunning bronze statues...and some I've seen are: Notre Dame (The Gipper, Knute Rockne & Moses)..Bama (The Bear)..and OHst (Woody & Jesse Owens).

A statue would be expensive..over $100,000..but 10,000 donors @ $10 each would raise this much easily imo...and if more, then maybe $20-$25 each average donation. I will pledge $1000 and give a box of LED's free tOO to light him uP (LOL)...since the five bricks I donated for family members under the last tree inside the stadium..as well as the pledge for the upper decks were very rewarding to me personally.

Maybe David Hood OR Lawton Swann OR even a Sculpture Artist on TigerNet OR some important person with pull (Nancy O'Dell !) will take this and run with it. What better legacy than a bronze sculpture of our 1st famous HFBC...John Heisman! Let's git er done and do more for Clemson than just post and hope for change. We can make a difference as a large group who loves CLEMSON 110%!

GoTiGERS Everywhere!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think bronze staties of football coaches are tacky.

Jan 4, 2015, 1:18 PM

The Ring of Honor is enough.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your call BUT walk up to a statue, SEE & TOUCH iT & read....

Jan 4, 2015, 1:25 PM

what's on it pertaining to that person...and it's 110% greater than "maybe" seeing a name of the side of the stadium, with NO history or presence. Believe me..I've been to Notre Dame, Bama, Ohst and other places..and there's NO Comparison.

Take the example of walking up to Thomas G Clemson's statue in front of Tillman Hall...and see if that is the same as looking up at a name high up on the side of a huge stadium. And, read about Tom..his history (from Philly!), etc.

GoTiGERS..keep winning!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe we should get you an inflatble Frank Howard?

Jan 4, 2015, 1:43 PM

Just kidding Bill ! We'll get you the inflatable Nancy Odell instead.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Erk

Jan 4, 2015, 1:48 PM

I really wanted Erk to take Danny's place when he was forced out, really legendary in that era at UGA, I liked watching him head but his players and he had great defenses...well, Hatfield was hired instead and you remember what happened

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ga Southern's ERK RUSSELL has TWO Statues of him BUT Clemson

Jan 4, 2015, 1:58 PM

Let me start by saying that I think erecting a statue of someone who has done anything short of give their life for their country or is responsible for positive change on a national or worldwide stage is silly....With that said, the ONLY person I think merits a statue is MAYBE Frank Howard. John Heisman coached at so many places he doesn't feel like 'ours'. Danny Ford did some great things but even with a NC (and only one) he doesn't have that legend 'feel'. I know many will take exception to that but again just my opinion.

Also FSU's BOBBY BOWDEN has a statue of him***

Jan 4, 2015, 2:07 PM

Jan 4, 2015, 2:12 PM

I walk pass that statue of Erk every time Georgia Southern has a home game. Erk not only was a great coach, but a great human being as well. GATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 4, 2015, 2:15 PM

Yeah and the coots have a very tall banner of their messiah.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bill, Heisman coached less than 25 games at Clemson.

Jan 4, 2015, 2:16 PM

He won 19 out of 24, but I don't know if 24 games qualifies for a statue.

Let's Do This!

Jan 4, 2015, 3:17 PM

I have long thought Clemson should have statues of worthy coaches. However, I believe the criteria should be set first. My personal recommendation would be for each coach who has had an undefeated season or national championship. This would include John Heisman, Frank Howard, and Danny Ford. I would love the opportunity to support such an effort.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We don't worship idols.***

Jan 4, 2015, 3:33 PM

Re: We don't worship idols.***

Jan 4, 2015, 4:32 PM

Celebrating our history and legacy is a far cry from worship.

need to melt down a couple Tiger statues on campus

Jan 4, 2015, 3:48 PM

and reuse the metal.

(have you SEEN the one near the student gate 1?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey "scooter"..you've got a point! Wonder how many $ those

Jan 4, 2015, 5:26 PM

cost...since Heisman's OR Howard's wouldn't be much bigger imo.

Congrats TiGERS!

Replies: 14
| visibility 4,140
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic