Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm not old enough to remember Bill Foster
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 79
| visibility 1

I'm not old enough to remember Bill Foster

Feb 11, 2020, 10:40 AM

So I was reading about him and his program and it's pretty remarkable what he accomplished following Tates Locke.

Foster won 100 of his first 147 games. 147 is the 5th fewest in ACC history to get to 100 wins. His 1979-1980 team defeated 6 top 20 teams that year(including #1 ranked Duke).

An amazing stat, starting in the '67-'68 season under Bobby Roberts with 4 wins, going through Tates Locke and into Bill Foster's tenure in '76-'77 season with 22 wins, the Clemson basketball program won more games than it had the year before every single year.

We can talk about how the Clemson basketball program historically is barely above .500 (1,340-1,319 = .504), but there is a clear separation in winning 45 years ago when Foster took over:

Bill Foster: 156-106 - .595 - 1 losing season in 9 years (in year 8)
Cliff Ellis: 177-128 - .580 - 2 losing seasons in 10 years (in years 4 and 7 - record includes the 2 wins and loss from the Sweet 16 run that was vacated by the NCAA)
Rick Barnes: 74-48 - .607 - 0 losing seasons in 4 years
Larry Shyatt: 70-84 - .455 - 3 losing seasons in 5 years (in years 2, 3 and 4)
Oliver Purnell: 138-88 - .611 - 1 losing season in 7 years (in year 1)
Brad Brownell: 180-139 - .564 - 1 losing season in 9 years (in year 3 - winning percentage is through the ND game)

So over the last 45 seasons (including this season to date) Clemson is 795-593, which is .573 winning percentage with only 8 losing seasons. Over that time Brad Brownell has the 2nd lowest winning percentage. He has more wins than any coach in program history and he has more losses than any coach in program history.

I don't care to do the research, but it would be interesting to see how the .573 winning percentage over the last 45 years compares to other P5 + BE programs. davidhood® can you get Tim Bourret on the line?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

And the best thing about Bill Foster was that he was a

Feb 11, 2020, 10:45 AM

snazzy dresser

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

His pants look like they would be safe in the event

Feb 11, 2020, 10:47 AM

of a flood on campus.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Are those wimmin's shoes?

Feb 11, 2020, 11:16 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: Are those wimmin's shoes?

Feb 11, 2020, 6:26 PM

Tassels on dress shoes were a thing in the 70's. Today some would be wearing them with no socks on.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snazzy dresser apparently does not equate to

Feb 12, 2020, 12:40 PM [ in reply to And the best thing about Bill Foster was that he was a ]

clean and fresh-smelling as evidenced by the man on the left. Or, maybe Foster was wearing Polo cologne which evoked the same reaction for me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Coach Foster was a good guy...

Feb 11, 2020, 10:45 AM

back in the day when all student-athletes shared the same facilities in Jervey, it wasn't uncommon to see Coach Ford and Coach Foster in there. The stories they would tell about some of their recruiting trips/visits would have everyone rolling on the floor laughing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I can only imagine how great those stories were***

Feb 11, 2020, 10:48 AM

so you're saying he lost 47 games?

Feb 11, 2020, 10:46 AM

see even Bill Foster's teams were inconsistent!!!!!

Ammeyedoinitrite?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a fascinating list of accomplishments by all.

Feb 11, 2020, 10:48 AM

it sure sheds light on the myth that we have "always" struggled at basketball. Just more proof that it can be done.

Bill Foster was crushing it back in the day!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

It also shows what a huge outlier Shyatt was

Feb 11, 2020, 10:50 AM

over that stretch.

Man I really liked Shyatt. Too bad he just really

Feb 11, 2020, 10:55 AM

sucked as a head coach.

But we'll always have that Sunday afternoon in 2001 when he

Feb 11, 2020, 10:58 AM

beat #1 UNC!

RIP in peace Dale Earnhardt***

Feb 11, 2020, 11:01 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: RIP in peace Dale Earnhardt***

Feb 11, 2020, 11:34 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: That's a fascinating list of accomplishments by all.

Feb 11, 2020, 11:03 AM [ in reply to That's a fascinating list of accomplishments by all. ]

***Depends on what you considered "struggling"***

If you used a crayon and scribbled out Foster's name on his record and wrote "BB" on it, most folks would be demanding we can him.

Bill Foster was 44-74 in conference. Normally finished mid-table. 4th/5th out of 7/8 teams and with a losing record vs other ACC teams. He only had two seasons .500 or better in league play and missed the NCAA back then with a 8-6 ACC record finishing 3nd in the table with outright baffling (multiple) losses to 2-10 Virginia team - cost us a bid there.

Thus, it "depends". If you consider it 'crushing it' to be about or just under .500 and mid-table in conference, then we are crushing it under Brad. If you consider losing half your games and being ranked 7-9th in conference "struggling", then we are "struggling under BB.

Feb 11, 2020, 11:25 AM

Good point, but it is a difficult to compare conference records as the ACC schedule was tougher during the Foster era as we played every team twice.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is true

Feb 11, 2020, 11:30 AM

having to play all of the blue bloods and conference foes twice made the ACC very difficult to manage for many.

Crushing it is a term base don his overall performance. If we can justify one coach by his overall numbers can't we do them all?

Base don?

Feb 11, 2020, 11:31 AM

And don't bother changing it, I already took a screen shot.

Base don?

Feb 11, 2020, 11:32 AM

you being a heauxmeaux

Re: Base don?

Feb 11, 2020, 11:36 AM

Feb 11, 2020, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Re: That's a fascinating list of accomplishments by all. ]

I think that conference is at least better than overall records. It isn't as easy Purnell especially would pad our schedule with some really bad teams. Still, conference teams are considered "peers" and I would normally argue that the expansion has added more basketball power schools overall. So while we don't get Tobacco Road H&H series, trips to NY, KY are actually just as trying. Cuse, UL are upper tier programs we don't always balance a home/away series so that we play Cuse, UL and Duke on the road last year and only hosted UNC of that group.

So I pulled last year's record (18-19) and compared the Foster-era ACC teams vs expansion teams (FSU and onward). We played the original (and GT) 6 times and went 3-3. We went 6-6 against the expansion schools. So at both both divisions .500 which matched his overall conference record. He would have finished 5th of 8 "traditional ACC teams" losing the tie-break to state for the 4th spot.

It wasn't always harder in the ACC then.

Feb 11, 2020, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Re: That's a fascinating list of accomplishments by all. ]

Some years there were 5 or 6 ranked teams in the ACC, and other years there were just 2 or 3. This notion that the ACC was so much tougher then than it is now is false.

I'm not denying that playing every team twice could be rough, but you also didn't have to play Louisville, Syracuse, Florida State, etc. There are still a lot of rough conference games now.

I also believe that we play a stronger non-conference slate now than we tended to in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. There are also a lot of quality mid-majors now that we didn't have then.

Basically, it's really hard to compare eras, for a number of reasons. But to make it sound like things were so much harder for Clemson basketball in Foster and Ellis days is incorrect IMO.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

We've already gone through the data that shows

Feb 11, 2020, 2:19 PM

Cliff Ellis played more ranked opponents in-conference than Brad will by the end of this year by a margin of 69-56. Both over a span of 10 seasons, with the one caveat that I did not factor in any ranked opponents for Brad in the ACC Tournament this year, so his 56 could go up by 1 or 2.

I'm not going to go back and run the numbers for Foster, but I doubt the ranked conference opponents would be much different from Ellis.

Look at the rankings right now, there are 3 ranked ACC teams which constitute 5 of our games. So if there were 3 ranked teams in the Foster era, playing them twice would mean games against 6 ranked teams.

Basically, it's really hard to compare eras, for a number of reasons. But to make it sound like things are harder or just as hard for Clemson basketball in the Brownell days is incorrect IMO.

Re: We've already gone through the data that shows

Feb 11, 2020, 3:16 PM

I know we have discussed this point about eras before so I won't go to far into the weeds, BUT

There are fewer teams in the top 20/25 from the Power5 + BE than today as more mid-major conference are being represented in the rankings... especially this year but this year is odd. This has been a trend since the end of the OP era. Basically since the mid 2000s.

So yes, you can point to more ranked teams in conference but I would also note that Barnes' best year of 23-10 and 9-7 in conference would likely NOT be ranked by modern standards. Virginia is on pace for a similar record, is the defending champ but again, most of the P5 are not ranked.

The biggest difference between the era IMO is the gulf between the power programs and the others. The gap, top to bottom, has widen considerably. Even with this chaos year, it is a lot harder being a "also ran" program in a P5 than what it was 20-30 years ago. Really the rise of the mid-major has hit the P5 programs in the hips and really taken out the bottom and middle.

I agree for the most part, but I don't think the

Feb 11, 2020, 3:39 PM

rise of the mid majors is that dramatic.

Right now in the top 20, outside of the P5 + BE, you have 4 teams - Gonzaga, San Diego State, Dayton and Houston.

I looked back at 1979-1980 season, the year Foster went 23-9 and made it to the Elite 8. Granted, I don't know what constituted power conferences back then so please educate me here! But in the top 20 you had 3 Independents (DePaul, Notre Dame and Iona), 1 Big Sky team in Weber State, 1 WAC team in BYU, and 1 metro team in Louisville. Obviously today DePaul, Notre Dame and Louisville are in P5 + BE, leaving you with Iona, Weber State and BYU.

The next year you had DePaul and Notre Dame again, Louisville in the Metro, 3 WAC teams in BYU, Utah and Wyoming, and then Arkansas from the Southwest Conference. So by today's conferences you had 3 teams outside the P5 + BE.

Apparently between Weber State, BYU and Utah, Northern Utah was a college basketball hotbed!

Last year you had 5 teams, the year before that you had 1. While it may be easier for mid majors to have a big 1-off year in today's games, it seems pretty consistent to have 3 or 4 teams outside the major conferences even back in the late 70's early 80s through today.

Re: I agree for the most part, but I don't think the

Feb 11, 2020, 3:59 PM

There really weren't "power" conferences like today but the B10 & PAC dominated Later the ACC the jointed the party about the same time the BE was the contender. Still B10/PAC held an advantage from size and revenue. Basketball wasn't as much of a top tier sport as compared to others and you had other hotbeds. Still the last "outsider" to win it all was Texas Western (UTEP) until UNLV.

But also factor in that the size of the leagues also changed. ACC went from 8/9 to 15. Basically ALL of the BE now would be mid-majors but I enclude them as an odd arrangement. The major conferences absorb the powers of the "and 1" conferences (ACC absorbing UL, Cuse, etc.) The last non-P5+BE winners were... UCONN and Louisville (AAC and Metro). PAC absorbed a lot, ACC took a huge chunk and even a few others added.

Much of the power consolidated but you also had the Butlers/Gonzags etc. Back then Villanova etc were the Cinderella teams, You had UNLV and a few others too.

You could not be more wrong

Feb 11, 2020, 6:36 PM [ in reply to It wasn't always harder in the ACC then. ]

It was only a 7 team league until Tech joined in 1981. Every ACC team had great years and players during Foster's tenure accept Tech

Re: It wasn't always harder in the ACC then.

Feb 12, 2020, 11:48 AM [ in reply to It wasn't always harder in the ACC then. ]

I totally disagree. It was much different back then. We played each team twice. To win any game in the state of NC was an accomplishment.

If CBB had taken over a program that had never won more

Feb 11, 2020, 2:32 PM [ in reply to Re: That's a fascinating list of accomplishments by all. ]

than 17 games in a season, had only made it to the NIT tournament once, and had only made it past the first round of the ACC Tournament three times, and then had Foster's record folks would not be "demanding we can him." The fact that Foster accomplished what he did, on paper as someone who is too young to have watched it or remembered it, is pretty incredible. And outside of the Shyatt years, that success has been consistent at Clemson under Ellis, Barnes, OP and Brownell.

Bill had an incredible eye for talent

Feb 11, 2020, 6:41 PM

some totally no name recruits of his included Cornbread Maxwell and Lew Massie at UNCC, then Nance, the Grant twins, and Vinnie Hamilton here. Nobody recruited those guys

That was a 7 then 8 team, flat out loaded ACC

Feb 11, 2020, 6:33 PM [ in reply to Re: That's a fascinating list of accomplishments by all. ]

He was coaching against Dean, Lefty, Terry Holland, Norm Sloan and Valvano, Carl Tacy had great teams at Wake, his namesake Bill Foster then K. Only weak team was Tech until Cremins took over

Re: That was a 7 then 8 team, flat out loaded ACC

Feb 11, 2020, 10:13 PM

It’s embarrassing when anyone masquerading as a Clemson basketball fan doesn’t understand just how different the ACC is now. The ACC is dead last amongst power conferences this season. That would have been unimaginable in Foster’s era.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While Foster was coaching

Feb 11, 2020, 10:27 PM

The Holes had guys like Ford, Walter Davis, Jordan, Worthy, Perkins

Duke had Gminski, Gene Banks, Jim Spanarkel

Wake had Rod Griffin, Skip Brown

State had Hawkeye Whitney and the Valvano championship team

UVa had Sampson, Lamp, Wally Walker, Othel Wilson

Maryland had Albert King, Buck Williams

And that's just off the top of my head. I'm missing a bunch of great players there.

No comparison, not even remotely close

Karen would appreciate it if you could go ahead and

Feb 12, 2020, 8:17 AM

ask your manager to come to the front of the store, she would like to have a word.

You are funny, Princess.***

Feb 12, 2020, 10:33 AM

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: You are funny, Princess.***

Feb 12, 2020, 11:51 AM

To add to your Brad Brownell caption: Brad is also the losing-est coach in Clemson basketball history.

Feb 12, 2020, 8:48 AM [ in reply to Re: That was a 7 then 8 team, flat out loaded ACC ]

Incorrect. So very incorrect. You can basically plot out every 10-12 years the ACC will have a very down year. The ironic item is that you still might have a team win it all or come very close.

The ACC has some down years. It isn't uncommon.

2019-2020 is one.

2007-2008 is another that was weaker (NC and Duke were good, but the rest of the league was kinda weak... and OP got lucky with Booker. Then you had the 95-96 season.

77-78, the ACC only produced two ranked teams and none in the top 10. Duke was best at #15. Before and after that for decades, we had at least one if not multiple teams ranked in the top 10. Before that 62 was weak with only Duke being decent but flawed as well. We beat Duke that year and was perhaps our closest run losing to wake.

The big difference and what I debate with GWP is that I view the rise of the mid-majors gutting the middle of the power conference. The "elite" blue-bloods are as strong as ever (ignoring UNC for a moment) but the middle of the conference is weaker. You just do not see the middle of the table disrupting the top anymore. The middle "third", aka the 4-6 spots used to make a run in the Tourney and only be a few games back in teh standings. The middle thrid was a legitimate risk to the top thrird. Not it seems we have a top third and a bottom 2/3rds and no middle.

Now, sheesh, you have to be a 1-4 seed in the Tourney just to have hope. I think UNC a few years ago as an odd 6th seed was the last time that depth happened and that was just because of that weird 3-way tie with us and Miami. NC State and GT made some runs but the last time a non-top third team won the ACC was Maryland in 2004 as a 6th seed of 9 team (and they were still a top 20 team). I am not saying that the top seeds did not win it more often than not but you will not see an era where you have the #5 vs #8 or #6 (out of 9) vs #3 again. And that stinks.

Princess isn't going to like your post.

Feb 12, 2020, 10:36 AM

Neither is vizcoot. They don't take kindly to anyone disagreeing with them. Everything you said is correct though.

Have you called

Feb 12, 2020, 10:39 AM

their manager yet?

Have you decided

Feb 12, 2020, 10:43 AM

to start contributing to the conversation here? Or are you just here to make jokes with your gal pals?

Calling people princess & Barbara won't help your argument

Feb 12, 2020, 5:13 PM

Karen.

Feb 12, 2020, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: That was a 7 then 8 team, flat out loaded ACC ]

I must have been mistaken with the stats then. Please inform me which season since expansion to 64 teams we have had less than 3 teams? 3 teams is our previous worst. But we had less teams in the conference then.

If you can find that please let me know, since the advent of at large teams, when only 20% of our conference made the tournament?

Those are rather significant metrics. Maybe I, and ESPN, are wrong on the topic.

And having a team good enough to win the national championship (that half the league only plays once) does make the league competitive.

But all those other coaches didn't have to deal with

Feb 11, 2020, 10:53 AM

lack of support, lack of facilities, etc.... I was a kid when my dad got season tickets during the Tates Locke Era. Probably just selective memory since I was a kid but I loved going to the games back then. Hit or miss teams but we did usage some exciting players.

It's pretty cool that in his 5 seasons that his win

Feb 11, 2020, 10:57 AM

totals, in order, were 9, 10, 12, 14 and 17 with that last year being our first NIT selection in program history. That steady progress got the ball rolling for the next 45 years.

clemsons only elite eight coach

Feb 11, 2020, 11:08 AM

Why did he leave Clemson? He was before tnet so they didn’t fire him!

Re: clemsons only elite eight coach

Feb 11, 2020, 11:24 AM

Went to coach/start Miami basketball program. I think he was a FLA native, despite being more of the NC/TN/VA recruiter so it kinda makes sense and also less so. He didn't quite get all the momentum going at Miami but did really well considering he started from nothing. Don't know if there was an AD/admin issue that pumped him out but oh well. Took a year off and landed at VaTech.

He had run his course

Feb 11, 2020, 6:45 PM [ in reply to clemsons only elite eight coach ]

His last 3 years were all around .500

He arguably coached the 2 best teams in our history. The elite 8 team and Tree's last year when we were on probation. Tree, Stan Rome, Colon Abraham, Derek Johnson, Greg Coles, Dave Brown, Jimmy Howell, Chubby Wells. 22-6. A great team

Re: He had run his course

Feb 12, 2020, 5:30 PM

Greg Coles... I'll always remember him for that behind the back layup. I believe that was against Maryland.

I remember Bill Foster.

Feb 11, 2020, 11:02 AM

Fun games and we were competitive. Fun times for sure. But Cliff Ellis was and is my favorite coach. I live near him and we have a lot of fun in his off season.

Yes, those people telling you we've always been bad and

Feb 11, 2020, 11:10 AM

never can be good so just accept the status quo are full of chicken litter.

We've never been elite, and seldom been great, but we've been very good many times.

Who on TigerNet has said that we can never be good?***

Feb 11, 2020, 12:19 PM

Tigernet would have fired him too***

Feb 11, 2020, 11:33 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tigernet does not have the power or the authority to fire

Feb 11, 2020, 2:33 PM

a coach, unless DRad posts on here.

DRad, do you post on here?

Re: Tigernet does not have the power or the authority to fire

Feb 12, 2020, 8:40 AM

GWPTiger® said:

a coach, unless DRad posts on here.

DRad, do you post on here?

Why, yes. Yes, I do! ;) Thanks for asking...now, all of you, carry on with your mindless drivel. The humor is riveting...for the most part.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Littlejohn was packed and LOUD for every conference game

Feb 11, 2020, 11:33 AM

Students came out in droves and had good seats behind the bench and all the way up. Most of us students went to every game we could possibly make. Brownell doesn't have the advantage of those crowds.

The Dude abides

Unfortunately, millenials and post millenials seem more

Feb 11, 2020, 12:00 PM

interested in video games than in real life athletic events. And, they have the further disability of being born with cell phones in their ears. Oh, and, get off my lawn! :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unfortunately, millenials and post millenials seem more

Feb 11, 2020, 3:02 PM

Not really millennials who are aged 24-39--maybe Gen Z.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Littlejohn was packed and LOUD for every conference game

Feb 11, 2020, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Littlejohn was packed and LOUD for every conference game ]

The Rabble Rouser section!! Great memories, from what I remember!

Men o'Paws***

Feb 11, 2020, 12:48 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Remember sitting first row...

Feb 11, 2020, 11:41 PM [ in reply to Littlejohn was packed and LOUD for every conference game ]

and 6 feet behind Lefty Driesell when he brought in Maryland with Tom McMillan, Len Elmore, John Lucas, Mo Howard, Jim OBrien, and others. Those were pure battles and not to be missed.

Re: I'm not old enough to remember Bill Foster

Feb 11, 2020, 11:34 AM

FIRE JACK!! RIGHT NOW!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was in

Feb 11, 2020, 12:15 PM

school when Foster was the coach. The thing I remember is that we always seemed to compete. We beat the crap out of #1 Duke and held them to 39 points by running the "Tiger Pause" one night. The 1980 Great 8 team was really good.

I always liked his man to man offense. It was a 2 high post that we could run 3 man sets on either side of the court with a lot of back doors.

Re: I was in

Feb 11, 2020, 12:21 PM

Hey F3, I was a little ahead of you, but I had the dubious distinction of staying in 'Old" Johnstone all four years I was there, the last 3 on old F4. I remember the old joke about Johnstone being the only "lift slab construction" college dorm in America, since the other one that had been at Texas A&M fell down. (I never knew if that last part was true or not, but it would not have surprised me, the way the entire wall shook anytime anyone closed a door.) :)

I moved around

Feb 11, 2020, 12:35 PM

The corner to F3 annex one year. What an upgrade. Lol

I remember both us and USuk having coaches named

Feb 11, 2020, 12:23 PM

Bill Foster at the same time. The press differentiated them by calling ours Bill "Cub" Foster, and theirs Bill "Chick" Foster.

Super nice fellow. He would always come chat with the

Feb 11, 2020, 12:40 PM

students pregame (back when the student section was directly behind the scorers table..).

Anybody know where he is now?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

He passed away in 2015...

Feb 11, 2020, 12:51 PM

from Parkinson's disease if I remember correctly.

At the time he was living in Charlotte.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

So Bill Foster went 9-59 to close out his stint here ?

Feb 11, 2020, 12:41 PM

Ouch.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

No, you need to double check your maffs there Rocky

Feb 11, 2020, 2:05 PM

He won 100 games in his first 147. He still won 56 more games after that.

Yeah - so maff is hard and I’ma maroon - still he went 56-59

Feb 11, 2020, 10:02 PM

to finish his career here.

So he definitely had a full blown case of the Clemson Suck in basketball before he left.

Re: I'm not old enough to remember Bill Foster

Feb 11, 2020, 12:52 PM

foster was an interesting dude. he had a strange mix of recruits... 'sleepers" like the Grant twins. At an IPTAY event, when he was going over his recruits the best thing he could say about them was "they have big feet and we think they'll grow." Nance was another one of his sleepers.
he brought in some JUCOs, like moose campbell and billy williams. he brought in a trans from Davidson in chris dodds. just before we went on probation and got 'ship reductions, he brought in chubby wells( i believe as a mid year guy, along with randy gray, who didn't stay). he signed some highly recruited kids... and none of them really played to their rep:bill ross, clarke bynum and raymond jones. signed mitchell wiggins.. and ran him off for smoking dope.
foster had a bad shoulder that would sometimes "pop out" while he was waving directions on the sidelines. first time it happened, he bent over and struggled into the locker room. crowd thought he had a heart attack. guy on his right in the pic is the late bobby hussey, who went on to be HC (unsuccessfully) at VT and returned as an asst under shyatt. one of the all time good guys.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait. Chris Dodds was a trans?

Feb 12, 2020, 9:42 AM

Was that even legal back then?

sooooo....the moral of this story is...cbb is the LOSINGEST

Feb 11, 2020, 4:27 PM

Coach in Clemson BB history?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

I guess it depends if you prefer a

Feb 11, 2020, 5:00 PM

glass that's half full or a glass that's half empty

Interesting to see the other side of the “winningest” coach

Feb 11, 2020, 5:29 PM

In history that some posters go on and on about, and even make their sigs about.

Glad to see someone do the maffs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

I think that would be an example of "Cherry Picking".***

Feb 12, 2020, 8:47 AM

null

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Barbara, I have hope that today will be the day

Feb 12, 2020, 10:39 AM [ in reply to Interesting to see the other side of the “winningest” coach ]

that you contribute something of value here, rather than just lame personal attacks.

Most of you are glass half empty folks.

Feb 12, 2020, 10:38 AM [ in reply to I guess it depends if you prefer a ]

It's sad. I hope you don't look at everything in life that way.

Bill Foster Was A Solid Coach

Feb 12, 2020, 5:59 PM

Foster did a solid job at Clemson. He was a real competitor. I always questioned early schedule. Clemson rarely played anybody before January. He invented the Tiger Pause, Clemson's version of the Four Corners. Four players lined up at the foul line across the court. One night they used it and some Clemson fans booed. Foster said after the game that if his players had had helmets on, the fans would have cheered. I also remember him being real upset when he scheduled UNC Asheville as a tune up for the ACC Tournament. UNCA was something like a 40-point underdog and its playoff status was based on the old Dunkel Index. UNCA held the ball, lost by 10 points or something like that, and made the playoffs. One night, Foster jumped up to celebrate and threw both arms in the arm. He separated a shoulder and trainers took him to the locker room. Most people in Littlejohn thought he was having a heart attack.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 79
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic